Will Racial Issues Change In The USA Now?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I won't oppose Obama yet until I see what he does with the economy, and see if he is man enough to stand up against Nancy Pelosi.

I do see some positive changes in race relations.

All was not lost on election night, and the Republican party will come back stronger than ever, with a little more diversity.

Congraulations Sylvia, I wish you peace and happiness.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    there may not be any excuses left for ongoing complaints

"excuses"???!. The complaints of blacks americans are not excuses. So what, white americans let a few black people "make it". This country is far from the equality many in this land long to see. Do you know how many racial remarks are made around me everyday and I have "check" people on things that they say only to be told that I'm not really black and that I'm not like the rest of them and they are not talking about me?

Racism is real. Do you know how many resumes I see get tossed because applicants have common black american names. I have several black friends that have changed their names just to get a call back on an interview. They would ask me why they never heard back from potiental employers and I would honestly tell them its because of their name.

True story, very bright friend of mine, with an MBA, recently relocated from a chocolate city to a less chocolate city. She could not get an interview to save her life. I recommended that she change the name on her resume to Sarah and provide a different contact number. The ONLY thing she changed on her resume was her first name as her last name is neutral. She faxed her resume to the exact same places, ALL of them called within the hour for Sarah.

I have countless stories like this. As someone that receives resumes of potential employees, I always send the resume without the name when sharing them with peers. They have yet to stop being surprised when the candidates come for an interview and they are black or latino.

The issues of some will rarely be understood by those that never have a reason to walk in their shoes. I think this is one of them.

Wishing peace, harmony and prosperity to all,

Shop.

BTW, on a more important note many stores are having HUGE sales this week

• milligal
    milligal

Shop-I agree that black issues are real issues, just like women's issues and homosexual issues. Race is still an area for expansion of civil rights, HOWEVER, credit should be given where credit is due. I think what some non-African Americans are getting at (at least how I feel) is that some activists need to let the intensity die down some. Be happy that white America voted for a black man, and I have to tell you, the people I know, (white and all : ) stood behind Obama 150%. he wasn't just the lesser of two evils, but he represents an American icon -another JFK. THAT is a great thing, many white people adore Obama and are proud that he's President elect. Can't we take a breather and see how this affects the racial barrier? I believe that it will affect that barrier positively, even if it doesn't solve all racial issues overnight.

Hillbilly- Are you indicating that by disagreeing with you I could not have possibly read what you wrote? I read your post and I disagreed with it. While Obama has a full plate and race will not likely be a key issue in the first four years, he won by a landslide. I do not think his 'political neck' is in issue. Now that you see I disagree with the context of what you said, would you mind cutting out the name calling? It's beneath you.....

• BurnTheShips
  • oompa
    oompa
    shopaholic:

True story, very bright friend of mine, with an MBA, recently relocated from a chocolate city to a less chocolate city. She could not get an interview to save her life. I recommended that she change the name on her resume to Sarah and provide a different contact number. The ONLY thing she changed on her resume was her first name as her last name is neutral. She faxed her resume to the exact same places, ALL of them called within the hour for Sarah.

shop that is pathetic!....i hate to hear it is still that bad....being raised JW, one thing I must admit is I was raised to never see black or white....dated black girls...sister married a black...my biz partner for 20 years is black, I was always proud of our racial unity...more than other groups anyway....maybe the door is not fully open yet, but obama is sure pulling the knob in the right direction................oompa

• minimus
    minimus

I have many black friends. The feeling out there is it's cool to be black. There is a certain pride that comes across seeing such a young bright educated man becoming President.

• snowbird
    snowbird

My two grandsons are very proud of Obama.

I hope this will make them more interested in their school work.

Sylvia

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It remains to be seen if it changes race relations, however I doubt it's going to change anything too significantly. People like to blame others for their own downfalls, that's how racism began, that's why racism will continue.

• minimus
    minimus

I would love to see kids want to emulate President Obama. I read that a lot of new babies are being named "Obama".

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I would love to see kids want to emulate President Obama.

Exactly.

I've noticed that my younger g'son is beginning to imitate his oratory style.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit