Will Racial Issues Change In The USA Now?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you think that this country will change for the better now that we've elected a new President?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

what I hear on NPR.... last week we several hours of discussion and interveiws about black folks who set the stage for the first "black" president... guys like Marine Corps General Peterson. then those folks on the flipside....

Seems the common black american sees the Obama sucess as a reason to pull the britches up and do anything they can do.... now if that includes doing it without affirmitive action etc has yet to be seen.

What did I come away with? Young black dont seem to understand that those who came way before Obama set the stage for them... Ralph Bunche, Adam C Powell Shirley Chisholm , Young, Rosa Parks ...(this list is very long so I will stop) already. The stage has been set for years... Obama seems to be one of the few who cares to step up on it.

I heard several black folks sound bit with stuff about how things would get better " Obams will get us jobs!"... I dont see Obma getting anybody a job for a long time... He wont be a black President... if he wants to keep this country running he will just have to settle for President. I hope the young blacks who are hanging there hats on Obamas star understands that that one will just be another politician...to busy fighting for his political neck with international issues clouding out the specific needs of a particular race.

Hill

• milligal
    milligal

I guess I disagree with hillbilly totally and completely;

The voters that contributed the MOST to getting Obama elected were actually white middle America. Yes, the youth vote helped and the African Americans turned out in record numbers for him, but white people were on board. I think this is a historic moment for America; not only is Obama black, he also has a middle eastern name which was a hurdle for a lot of people. Frankly, Hillary had a good portion of the black vote and it wasn't until she conceded that Obama gained the full black vote. This is a historic time for America, people have shown they are bigger than race, and bigger than culture. Americans want to save their country.

Republicans who want to critisize this new administration before it even gets going would do well to remember the last eight years, the GOP have NO RIGHT to critisize. The American people have spoken loudly against them.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I can see the possibility that Racial Issues could change for the worse. Like several of our last few presidents, there will be a large majority of people that will be very displeased with his performance and feel that he was a terrible choice. Depending on several issues, the situation could become very divisive with a much greater chance of a split along racial lines. But, who really knows. If I could predict the future, I would start my own cult.

pseudo

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

It already has. Some people just need to ketchup!! purps

• restrangled
    restrangled

I worry about the re-strengthening of the KKK. I watched a 2 hour special about them on the History channel. It was a real eye opener. Everytime a threat is preceived the ranks multiply. The last time was when David Duke was pronouncing they weren't so much against Blacks as they were for the rights of whites. (new members surged) They have reignited hate many times over the past 130 years and at one time I believe the number of Senate members belonging to the KKK was 23. We are long past those days, but on the other hand the Neo Nazis have now joined ranks. They can no longer disguise their faces in public, and supposedly, the sheets are no longer worn by many and considered silly. The basic ideals still stand...and I wonder how many new members have joined in the last week. Will racial issues change?....I think for the majority of Americans they already have, but there will be the few, who hold on to how they were raised, blindly following in their parents foot steps. Obama has been threatened with violence to his children. The KKK is alive and well. I suspect only these idiots would threaten children. r.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The KKK will see a spike in membership and perhaps even get a little bit more press time. I dislike the Klan more than anyone I know... and probably have had more first hand knowlege of the Klan than most people on this board.

They are mostly hype. Sure the ideas are dangerous, but since the 60's they have been pretty well neutered.

Obama's most likely foes in my opinion will be the existing black political power base. Sharpton, Jackson, etc. They dont like him ...never have -never will.

In lllinois, Obama had to align himself with the folks downstate because the black and Daley machine in Illinois rejected him. His political history is not chock full of civil rights work.

I think the life Obama has lead is uniqe. He thinks he pulled himself out of oppression ...he may have. But I think he will have a hard time relating to middle American Black and working white folks and this will become evident as time goes on.

Milligal... reading posts acutally aids comprehension of them. The diatribe about not supporting the guy ..."eight years of GOP"...yadda yadda yadda kinda makes you look like one of those "haters" hear about around here.

Hill

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Do you think that this country will change for the better now that we've elected a new President?

Things rarely change over night. They take time. Obama being elected is a great step in the right direction

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    Things rarely change over night. They take time. Obama being elected is a great step in the right direction

Exactly. Nothing was solved or resolved with the election of Obama to the presidency. Its simply a step in the right direction.

Affirmative Action does not need to go away. Affirmative Action has nothing to do with the qualifications of minorities (white women included) but ensures that minorities with the right qualifications are given a chance at jobs typically given to white males. The 'ol boys club is still very much alive.

Also, I do think black america played a HUUUUGE role in the election of Obama, not just with votes but with their evolution as a people. Through the progress that our country has made, many whites have had the opportunity to work with intelligent and brillant black americans who shockingly do not fit the stereotype often portrayed by the media. Many have come to learn that Obama is not a rarity in the black community and thus do not fear black america as they may have in the past.

And in regards to black americans expecting Obama to pay their bills and get them jobs, let me translate for the white masses. These are not literal statements. Black americans are extremely hopeful that Obama will do something (what that is remains to be seen) to alleviate some of the pressures and inequalities that you inherit with having extra melanin in your skin. Many understand the changes will not come overnight and are ready to do what they need to do to help Obama.

I'm very excited to see how this whole thing unfolds. For the FIRST time ever I feel like I belong in this country. I wish every white person lived 1 week as a black american, not as an asian, not a spanish-speaking person or any other minority but as a black american. Even black celebrities are denied entry into some elite boutiques simply because they do not cater to blacks regardless of how loaded you may be.

This country has a LONG way to go and we're just getting started. Hang on, its going to be a wild ride!

• oompa
    oompa

from the info i have seen so far...youths were not a factor in the vote...the same percent voted as in the last election, and only two percent more of blacks voted democratic. if anything...white america may be ready to say "shut up with your whinning" to blacks....and that could be a big problem.....we have condoleeza rice, colin powell, clarence thomas....and the list grows and grows....now you have to admit with this election of obama......there may not be any excuses left for ongoing complaints..............oompa

and lots more interacial marriages are approved of too...that used to be a big problem for many

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit