Another Christmas confession.

by Mulan 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Andee
    Andee

This thread has touched me so much. I'm not sure why, perhaps because I can relate to the stories.

My parents were pretty much inactive when I was a kid. However, my very devout JW grandmother lived with us, so birthdays and holidays out of the question. My Father still believed in the doctrines, he just didn't go to meetings. My Mom, well, she always disliked the WTS. After the political DF'ing(he was reinstated 5 years later) of my Dad, her dislike turned to disgust and bitterness.

As for the holidays. I remember in 4th grade our school putting on a Christmas concert. My class sang "Deck The Halls". My DAD even came to watch me. Go figure! My childhood was always such a contradiction! No birthday parties (I always ate the birthday cupcakes if some kid's Mom brought them for our class), but come and watch me sing in a Christmas show. Still, we didn't not celebrate Xmas until many years later. And even then, NO TREE. My Dad just couldn't cross that line. So, as a teenager, we would have presents wrapped in Xmas paper put in the corner of the living-room. How did he rationalize it? He used to say that there was nothing wrong with exchanging gifts, we just happen to do it the same day that everyone else celebrates Xmas! It makes me chuckle now that I think about it.
    My Dad and his insane logic!

When I was 18 and my sister was 14, we decided we wanted a tree! We went to my Dad and asked him if it was okay. He thought about it for a few days and reluctantly gave us approval (after much begging) for a small tree. So, with my own money, I bought this tiny little "charlie brown" tree. Then, I had to buy ornaments. We didn't have anything. No stand, no lights. That little tree cost me a fortune. However, we did have a tree.

The next year, my parents had separated and were in the process of a divorce. That year, my Mom, my sister, and I went all out. Big tree, baking xmas cookies, and many wonderful decorations.

I guess all I can say is....I'm so glad I'm not a JW!

Andee

• joelbear
    joelbear

When I was in first grade I colored my nose red with a crayon and my teacher made me wear it that way all afternoon.

I was terrified that my parents would find out.

I remember getting on the bus and rubbing it off while my teacher watched the bus pull away.

Amazing which things in our life stick in our heads.

Joel

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had another "flashback memory" the other day, while Silent Night was on the stereo. When I was really young, probably 4, and at my grandparent's for Christmas, and we were singing Silent Night. I thought the words said "sleep in heavenly peas." I wondered for a long time what Heavenly Peas were. Were they canned or frozen?

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Mulan - you last post reminded me of a bumpersticker I saw:

Imagine whirled peas.

Andi

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Hey Mulan your stories brought back a flashback for me: I remember when I was a teenager and Band Aid did that benefit song for Christmas... "Do they know its Christmas" I used to blast it on my headphones when it came on the radio.

I remember thinking that any song singing about helping starving people couldn't really be bad...

I wish I could find it on cd or online, have looked all over. Would sure love to blast it through the house now :)

*hugs* love ya!
    essie

• Eppie
    Eppie

Hey All,

All these stories forced me to tell mine. All my life (o well I am 20, so not so long :)) I did not do anything in school. Here in the Netherlands we have another holiday at 5 December, it is called Sinterklaas and involves a lot of presents, chocolate and pepernoten. This year I am not a JW anymore (I am fading away) and I celebrated sinterklaas with my friends! It was so much fun!!!
    I am still doubting about Christmas though, it seems too hypocrite to celebrate that. But hey, maybe next year,

Eppie

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

A sad observation made last week whilst waiting to collect children from school - all the JW parents were absent from the school gates on a number of occasions when Xmas activities were going on, carol service rehearsals, nativity rehearsals, decoration making, cake baking etc, a real shame that these poor kids miss out on so much fun. And all because their parents are mislead, my heart goes out to those kids. And to think you are only young once....

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Eppie,

I can honestly say today, that I no longer even think about jw rules about Christmas and Birthday's anymore.

Of course I have been out for over 20yrs. It took quite a few of them (yrs)to lose the twinges of guilt....what a web they weaved, eh?

Danny

• Makena1
    Makena1

Hi Mulan - great memories, thanks for sharing. I had almost forgotten in 4th grade singing along with the other kids in the gymnasium at a school assembly. It was right before christmas, so lots of wintertime songs (my mom had a wonderful singing voice and I think secretly liked all the xmas songs too) and Christmas songs. I held back for awhile and did not join in, but since mom said I could sing "jingle bells" when they started that song I joined in "full throated". Then got caught up in the moment and sang all the rest of the "pagan" songs, LOL. My teacher who knew I was a witness, embarrassed me a bit when we got back to the classroom. She told everyone else that even though Mak did not celebrate xmas, he knows the words, and showed more enthusiasm for the music than the rest of the class. BUSTED!

My excuse, beautiful melodies and chord changes, which as a young musician I could appreciate.

Further mental musings about xmas music brought to mind the song - "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", which in turn brought up that song we all sang at the KH -something about "Herald Forth..da da da da da da da da.." which in turn brought to mind my wife Sabine and I changing the words to "Dorothy forth...." why ??????

One of the elders in the cong was named Harold and his very nice wife was named Dorothy - so we inserted her name in the place of Harold, until one day we got caught and told it was approaching blasphemy to make fun of the KH songs.....whatever.

Ahhh word association and memories....I know I am a strange fellow!

Great post Marilyn! See ya soon!

Mak

• kid B
    kid B

Hi ozziepost

This is off topic, but:

Good to see another South Aussie, I happen to be from one of these German-named locations! What a small world!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit