Another Christmas confession.

by Mulan 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mulan
    Mulan

Last week, I told about how I watched the Christmas Eve sky, for Santa Claus, after my parents became witnesses, thinking he just didn't come to our house anymore.

Here is another thing I did. All through school (my parents became dubs before I went to Kindergarten) I participated in decorating the room for Christmas. I sang all the carols, and ate the goodies that were brought my the Moms. I spent the night with a friend the day before Christmas Eve, and helped to decorate their tree.....6th grade. For the 6th grade party, the kids were supposed to bring a gift, for the gift exchange. I knew I couldn't do that, and the teacher told me he would put one in for me. So I stayed for the party, and got a gift. My class was in the chorus, and we learned "O Christmas Tree" in German, "O Tannenbaum". I still remember the words to this day. Even in High School, I was on the committee to decorate the tree that was in the cafeteria.

After I was married, I looked forward every year, to the Christmas cards we got from Dave's work associates, and always put them out on display. I loved the Christmas specials on TV, and was criticized once by a girlfriend, who couldn't understand why I would watch them. I didn't know why, but I loved them. As I grew older and became more of a Pharisee, I loved them less.

I guess I missed Christmas more than I admitted to myself all those years. I've been listening to Christmas CD's this week (my Dad had some in his things.......he lives with us) and it is bringing back so many memories. I just love it!!!

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Marilyn: Your heart knew even as a child didn't it?

Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the warmth of love it brings to good hearts like yours.

Love,
    MD

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Marilyn,

Mrs Ozzie says of those dark days, that she should have followed her instincts instead of the pharisees! She looooves it too! Trouble is, after living in the separatist world of dubdom all these years, she finds it hard to know what to do and from personal conversation with others here, she's not alone in that.

How lucky you were to have had the 'training' you did. BTW why in German? Was it an area of German immigrants? We have an area like that in South Australia. Some of the place names are German.

Enjoy your Xmas treats.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi Ozzie,
    I mailed your Christmas card today.

The chorus instructor spoke German, and it was a pretty famous song, even back then, so we learned it. It was 1956.........I think he was a WW2 vet, who had been stationed in Germany part of the time.

Of course, I couldn't participate in the Christmas concert for the parents, but I was in the one for the school.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Mulan,
    And here I deprived myself all those years and now I find out that lots of witness kids partook of the festivities.
    I am wondering now why I had to be such a goodie two shoes!
    Even my own children have been making confessions like this to me.
    Oh well I'm glad sombody had some fun.
    I'm making up for it all now.

Ozzie,
    Tell your wife not worry about not knowing what to do.
    Just do what you want to do.
    Theres no exact formula for Christmas.The fun is developing your own traditions using ideas from others.
    It will all fall into place in time.

I don't hide my ignorance about these things. My new friends have given me decorations they don't want any more and are thrilled to answer any question I have about the holidays.
    They seem to enjoy my excitement about it all.
    I am not ashamed about my background.I had no choice in the matter.
    I am taking control of my life now and would only be ashamed if I turned that control over to another controling religion.

Ranchette

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Okay I guess I wasn't so perfect after all.
    I always loved the Christmas music. Still do.
    I never turned the radio station unless my mother or another JW was around. I have my own Christmas CDs now.
    Loved the sparkle glitter and lights. Still do.

When I was in grade school I used to watch for the neighbors to throw out their Christmas tree then I would run over and collect tinsel.
    I loved that stuff. It was so pretty!
    I don't have to steak out the neighbor’s front lawn.
    I have my own sparkly stuff now.

P.s.I got your card today Mulan.
    Thanks!

Ranchette

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Mulan,

Your aussie flavored card sent today too.

Oh, this feels like Xmas!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• Mulan
    Mulan

Ranchette, I got your card yesterday, and shared with Princess.

When I had a job, when I was in high school, it was such a boring job, filing checks at the bank. At Christmas, I made sure I put my stool by the music, so I could zone out on "O Holy Night", still my favorite song.

I had a pretty liberal mother, who always let me make my own decisions on those things. When I was raising my kids, I thought she had been wrong, but I know now she wasn't.

I used to go to Birthday Parties, too, but my conscience always got me, and I would call Mom to come and get me. One mother kept trying to get me to join the other kids, but I would just sit and cry. Mom never scolded me. Usually there was a gift for me, when I got home. If I had just gone home, I would have gotten the gift and had a clear conscience. I think I just liked cake.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Princess
    Princess

I did NOT have a liberal mother. I went to the library during all the parties at school. I never ate the goodies the kids passed out on their birthdays, I refused them. I never really cared much. I was usually embarassed if someone made a big deal out of it. Sometimes the birthday child's mom would try to make me take a cupcake and I would be horrified at the thought. I preferred to disappear to the library to read for an hour.

I hated going back to school after Christmas vacation. They were all wearing new clothes and everone wanted to know "what did you get for Christmas"? Hated that.

I'm just throwing myself into it this year. Just mailed my invitations for my family Christmas party and I'm getting ready to print some invitations to my neighborhood Christmas party. My kids are getting way too much stuff. We are getting our tree this weekend and we were the first in the neighborhood to put up lights. Fun fun fun!

Princess

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Mulan,

Enjoyed your school day's confessions, as regards Christmas. I have also loved Christmas music since childhood.

Right after graduation from high school, I was hired by the school district to be a mountain camp counselor. I was the boy's camp guide and cabin counselor. These kid's were from all different backgrounds and economic levels. All in the 6th or 7th grade level.

I will never forget one cold, crisp December night. I slept in the cabin with the camper's, and had just got them settled down to bed, when we heard the beautiful lyrics of 'Silent Night'...all the girl camper's and counselor were standing outside the cabin singing to us boy's.

There were apprx 30 girls singing, somehow out in the woods on the mountain side, the song was perfect. We the boy's just watched and listened in silence. When they finished and went back inside, we went outside and returned the favor, with O Christmas Tree, Jingle Bells, and several others. Before long the girls all joined in and we had a song fest, way past their bedtime.

I will never forget that night. It was almost magical, if you know what I mean. Not to mention the girl's camp counselor and I shared our first kiss that night....maybe that was why I still so fondly remember my 'heretic' christmas charoling night, eh?

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit