Prop 8 - Petition against the tax-exempt status of the Mormons

by Devilsnok 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thank you for giving another perpective Deputy Dog, I have known of several conservative churches in favor of paying a tax on church income, I was usually against it, but the more I think about it, these IRS rules are basically a government subsidized gag order.

And yes I am open to the fair tax idea too

• yknot
    yknot

(Mark

12:17)17 Jesus then said: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God." . . .

and

(Matthew

6:24)24 "No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. YOU cannot slave for God and for Riches.

or

(Luke

16:13-14)13 No house servant can be a slave to two masters; for, either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. YOU cannot be slaves to God and to riches." 14 Now the Pharisees, who were money lovers, were listening to all these things, and they began to sneer at him.
  • Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

So Ynot, does that mean you are for or against churches paying tax?

• mustang
    mustang

WH:

Dr. Gene Scott's AOG was from either Glendale or Pasadena before they moved downtown, if I remember correctly. They had lots of fusses w/ the gov. Generally, they held their own. But when California did that thing against the tele-vangelist it got different. I recall Scott fighting the FED a few times, especially the FCC over his media network(s)/(ing). (Scott disagreed that he was a tele-vangelist; can't explain it, not going there.)

But California was different (this is the one WTS went amicus curiae for). When Cal state did that taxation thing, Scott went along rather than fighting it. He shifted all his printed materials over to Delores Press (sp?) and they made everything TAXABLE: simple solution.

There is another, smaller church, I believe, First something-something of Glendale that a friend quotes a precedent on. I believe that was over Imminent Domain, however.

Mustang

• yknot
    yknot
    So Ynot, does that mean you are for or against churches paying tax?

Caesar's laws and regulations....... if he deems them to pay, they should pay, if he allows expemption, exemption.

The other scriptures were just a reminder that greed/riches can overtake even the religious. Greed/Riches are a powerful influence to stand up too.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks for sharing, and I wonder if some Christians would be against a church tax by interpreting "God's things to God" to mean church income.

This is a very interesting topic and even if they are able to get churches tax exemptions revoked, we can turn that to our advantage. A win-win situation.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

On a civil level, I do NOT want the government in my bedroom. Or my neighbors' bedroom.

On a moral, or personal level, my feeling is that if two consenting adults can find happiness with each other, I cannot begin to understand why others have such a problem.

I've always wondered why religious folks put such strident emphasis into resisting homosexuality when pedophilia, adults raping children, runs rampent amongst Christianity. Stupid question, but shouldn't fundamentalist, evangelical, avid Chrisitans be more concerned about adults sexualizing, even brualitzing children, as opposed to what two adults do in the privacy of their bedroom?

I cannot imagine a god who is more concerned about same sex relationships as opposed to adults raping children. And yet I see so much effort, and striden rhetoric, directed at homosexual, as opposed to pedophiles.

Why is that?

Chris

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The results of the passing of Prop 8 are morphing into a church/state isue

• yknot
    yknot

(Mark

12:13-17)13 Next they sent forth to him some of the Pharisees and of the party followers of Herod, to catch him in his speech. 14 On arrival these said to him: "Teacher, we know you are truthful and you do not care for anybody, for you do not look upon men’s outward appearance, but you teach the way of God in line with truth: Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not? 15 Shall we pay, or shall we not pay?" Detecting their hypocrisy, he said to them: "Why do YOU put me to the test? Bring me a de·nar´i·us to look at." 16 They brought one. And he said to them: "Whose image and inscription is this?" They said to him: "Caesar’s." 17 Jesus then said: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God." And they began to marvel at him.

Well the whole context seems to suggest government currency should be returned to the issuing government if said government required a tax. Tithing of course was in the Mosaic Law and is literally a tenth of an Israelite's bounty, whether that be money, crop, goods or herd. Let us keep in mind here that Jesus commanded all Israelites to keep the Law until his death began the new convenant.

Jesus of course didn't continue a required tithing arrangement.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks Ynot, I am just wondering if most other christians like Deputy Dog and you (assuming you are) are also OK with the Tax issue.

I would imagine the bigger churches would be more opposed to it, but I am not sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit