Prop 8 - Petition against the tax-exempt status of the Mormons

by Devilsnok 81 Replies latest jw friends

It's a nice dream, but it's not going to happen, regardless of how many sign a petition.

I'd like to see all "religions" lose their tax exempt status. Why should the taxpayers subsidize cults? Religion is just another type of business, and they are using their substantial financial advantage they enjoy from being tax-exempt to influence our politics.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"No presumption about it, this was a grass roots effort that bridged denominational, ethnic, and political affilitations. Even many white Barack voters, voted in favor of this. But in answer to the above question, apparently the gays are now targeting blacks over this too. This gay group is one militant bunch that will stop at nothing to get what they want."

Well if they, (meaning other churches), did the same then they should be held to the same standard and revoke their exempt status.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No, they shouldn't. If enough black and white churches work together, maybe we can petition the IRS to loosen up some of the regulations. Maybe make it to where you can't endorse a candidate, but you can endorse a ballot measure.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

petition the IRS? lol

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Why not? The gays are already doing it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mormons are just strange. Nice, but strange. I had one witnessing to me today at work. I knew the guy was different. He tried to come across like he wasn't a Mormon. But a former JW knows the jive.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well I suppose u can petition anyone for anything.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes you can, but think about it, there are lots of black churches in this country, and plenty of white churches too. If enough of them worked together they could potentially work for a change in the IRS codes, and with electing our first black president, I can foresee the racial divide lessening and both black and white churches working together.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

J-G

The tax exempt status is one of the only things that prevent churches from saying what they really want. If you think American churches are too poitical now, just think what they would be if the last remaining barrier was removed, it would be a free for all.

As a Christian I would love to see it. Bring it on. It's about time the church stops taking this government buy out. I think the government has been doing the church's job for far to long.

I don't think it would be as big of a problem as you think. The church could still take deductions for feeding the poor or helping the elderly and orphans. I would love to see the church pay taxes.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Now that I think about it. The fair tax would solve this problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit