Who is Jehovah?

by cameo-d 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    A god who loves the smell of burnt flesh - Tis a restful odor to him don't you know

LOL. I bet you like the smell of a roasting boar bar-b-que, too.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Cam,

This is complete bull crap.

1. You are mixing two languages that dont mix.

jeHOVAH is an english word. HOVAH is a Hebrew word. It dont mix.

Its like saying that Isaiah's name means SUPRISE because it has the word AH!!! at the end.

2. hebrew HOVAH does mean ruin/mischief etc. hebrew HAVAH from which we get english HOVAH in JEHOVAH means TO BE.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

IPsec

This is complete bull crap.

1. You are mixing two languages that dont mix.

Thanks for your viewpoint. However, please do not attribute the above quote to being my composition. It was copied from another website. This is why I put the text in a box.

• oompa
    oompa

well one thing for sure...and easily provable to jw's....he is never once mentioned in the Christian Greek Scriptures....even though JW's changed the bible and added it 237 times...just check the Insight book under the name Jehovah......I will never trust any religion that freakin changes the freakin bible..............oompa

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you, oompa.

he is never once mentioned in the Christian Greek Scriptures

This would be the New Testament, right? If Jehovah is not in the NT, then would this mean that Jesus never acknowledged him by name as his father? It seems that this would be an important matter.

Were those same scrolls (of NT) written in any other language that might contain the name Yhwh?

• possible-san
    possible-san

cameo-d,

You do not listen to others' opinion and do not respect it, either.
    Therefore, I never reply to your post.

But I think that your explanation is always interesting.
    I regret that I cannot reply to your post.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is folk etymology and has been discussed a few times on this board in the past.

"Jehovah" (as pronounced in English) is not Hebrew and it is meaningless in Hebrew; "Je" is not short for "Yahweh", "Yah" is. The segmentation that interprets the name as "Yah is disaster/mischevious" must double the first he, i.e. yh-hwh, but that is not what is found in either name. Moreover, had hwh been a verb, then we could posit y- as a 3s inflection (e.g. "he ruins" or "he is mischevious"), but hwh is a noun -- not a verb. As Narkissos once wryly pointed out, this is rather like saying that the Spanish pronunciation of "Jesus" means "Yah is a horse" (Hebrew sus), or "Yah is a pig" (Latin sus).

At most, one could make a pun or wordplay with "Jehovah" and the Hebrew word hovah, much like Akkadian Bab-ilu (as loaned into Hebrew as Babel) is interpreted by way of Hebrew balal "to confuse" in the OT. Such wordplay however has nothing to do with actual etymology.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As for the etymology of Yahweh is concerned, the name seems to be a shortening of a longer sentence name (which were popular in the second millennium BC) of Yahweh-Sabaoth which does NOT mean "Jehovah of armies" as the NWT renders it (which is ungrammatical in Hebrew) but rather "He forms the (heavenly) hosts", i.e. he who marshals the heavenly hosts for battle.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

cameo-d,

You do not listen to others' opinion and do not respect it, either.
    Therefore, I never reply to your post.

But I think that your explanation is always interesting.
    I regret that I cannot reply to your post.

Possible, you are wrong. I DO listen to others and most of the time I DO respect what some others have to say. I have learned quite a bit here. And sometimes the responses seem to lead to more questions.

I think that because you and I have had a difference of opinion on some things that you mistake that as not listening or not respect. Just because I may think differently from you does not mean I do not listen and consider what you have to say.

If I have hurt your feelings in a matter, I am sorry. It was not my intention.Perhaps we can start over?

Ted Jaracz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit