Interesting Local Needs Talk: Don't Invite Studies To "Our" Get Togethers

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

I guess I am not so shocked, that has been a standing rule for JW gatherings in my area for almost 30 years. UMB are always welcomed as it is easy to convert someone socially invested.

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen that concept brought up in the past, but not applied equally in congregations. I have seen non-jw spouses invited to many social occasions but then others told that other family members cannot come. Why not studies???????

*** km 6/89 pp. 1-2 Enjoying Theocratic Association ***

WHOLESOME ASSOCIATION

One cannot walk with God while running in association with those of the wicked and sick society that approves of everything that God abhors. The Bible warns: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Some in the congregation may be inclined to invite worldly acquaintances and unbelieving relatives who have no interest in the truth to social gatherings, thinking that this will encourage them to accept the truth. However, is this wise and in harmony with the Scriptures?

We have been counseled to be cautious in our dealings with men of the nations, unbelievers, and ordinary persons. (See the November 15, 1988, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 15-16.) Why should we have unnecessary social contact with people who still pursue worldly ways and who have not become worshipers of Jehovah? (2 Cor. 6:14, 15) Some who are negligent spiritually may seek out others who also hold on to worldly thinking and ways instead of seeking association with mature Christians who could help them become strong in the faith. They fail to appreciate that attendance at social gatherings with worldly, unprincipled people can weaken their faith and corrupt them.—Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.

Everyone wanting to practice the truth should search out associates who are devoted to Jehovah and who will help him to walk in the truth and contribute to his progress in serving God. Our friends and associates can have a profound effect on us. Therefore, how wise it is to seek out the company of godly persons who maintain a close relationship with Jehovah!
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Min, you forget, a little leaven spoils the whole dump. W.Once

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

This is so sad. Can you imagine how much fun it is to be part of this group if you have an unbelieving mate? "You're invited to the party, but don't bring your husband because he might corrupt the rest of us!"

I hope people figure out that the real reason for this "counsel" is because their shunning policies work better when their followers have no friends outside of the organization!

• watson
    watson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCXkqDGEoU

Sounds like he is talking about a pioneer couple..

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What? Like the dubs don't have enough Kool-Aid for everyone?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Do their get-togethers include the meetings? If so, I think it's sound advice.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Nothing new - I never encountered non-witnesses at get-togethers except the occasional non-believing spouse.

I remember getting together with some bros to play softball one sunday after the meeting. This kid that none of us knew kept circling around on his bike near where we were playing, and it was obvious that he was wanting us to invite him to play, but the alphas there were very obviously ignoring him. I said something to one of them, and his response was, 'well, if we let him play, then we'll have to let everybody play'. There was nobody else around! What a bunch of pr!cks.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

What screamed at me instantly was this:

They want to limit the number of people that they can't control, or that would cause them legal problems if something were to happen.

Liability.

Money.

This is beside the additional benefit of further isolating the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit