You can effect a Tipping Point.....

by sweet pea 33 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@halcyon - what's remarkable about the great exodus of the 1980s is that it happened around the globe, people - independent of each other - woke up and left. But the really remarkable thing is that those who left are still having an impact on the Org over 20 years later through books they've written, testimonies they've given at conferences, mp3s of them speaking about their experiences etc. Speaking personally, it was ones like Cris Sanchez and other like him who helped my exit.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I have to agree with this

I advocate just letting go. If the org implodes it will be by it's own design and stupidity. I'm all for helping people out and I do at every opportunity. Fighting against the organization though I believe is futile and a waste of our time and energy.

I saw lots of people join and leave the JWs in my 30 years as a JW for all sorts of reasons, and am sure that will continue as the doctrines morph. The congregation I left 7 years ago is now radically different, filled with immigrant JWs and bible studies and home to 4 foreign language groups. Sometimes I feel that this here tinternet gives the illusion that there's a battle and exJWs are part of an organised army... the reality is we're as organised as the the group of apostates that stood at the District Convention gates. Creating ripples as we leave may satisfy our egos but it's not for everyone.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

sad to say, but, most of the time no one gives a SHIT when we leave........yeah, there's the initial shock, but, face it, most of the jw's are so burdened down with day to day living, along with all the burden that the BORG puts on them.........we are just one less burden to worry about..........it's a fucking fake religion......extremely shallow and with the control that is placed on them..........

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good points made!

I think it is true, there is a certain sense that those staying in have a better chance of effecting change. If you disassociate you may cause a stir for five minutes, or a bit longer depending on how prominent you were and how much of a shock it was. But after a while that is it - you are forgotten.

It is true the top down structure rules out anything like grass roots activism leading to change. However each and every one of us can do our bit to effect cultural change at a micro level. These may be small things, but they might amount to something over time.

What am I talking about? Well take opportunities subvert the discourse: bend the rules as far you can get away with, simply don't take it so seriously, and as far as is possible let it be known you don't take it seriously.

Humour can go a long way, whereas a direct attack on doctrines will be identified and shot down in seconds. A lot of Witness material is ripe for ridicule. The Revelation book for instance was a pure classic. You can get away with making fun of that to some extent, as long as you don't take the banter too far. And if you take it a bit too far and get called on it, you can always admit it was a poor joke but you meant no harm. A well timed joke about WT flip flops on the identity of Abaddon (was he a bad 'un or a good 'un?) for instance might get someone to think. On the other hand getting out the textbooks to prove Jerusalem did not fall in 607 BCE will only arouse suspicion or outright contempt.

I remember once I was talking to an elder who was making fun of Mormon beliefs about undergarments and how people will become gods and so on. So I played a trick on him and said I knew of an even whackier group who believed God lived in the Pleiades constellation. I kept him guessing for a few minutes before I pulled the old Creation book off the shelf and showed him it from our own literature. I think I played it carefully and got away with it because I did not take it too seriously. He was visibly shocked by that statement in the literature, I could see it in his face for a few brief seconds before he managed to restore the cool elderish facade - and laughed it off.

But we can do more than just make light of WT beliefs (although I think that in itself is tremendously important) other practical ideas include:

1. Start doing charitable work, and let it be known in the congregation what you are doing. Some people will frown on it, but if you hold your head up high, and talk about a real sense of achievement you might get some grudging respect and recognition that such activity actually counts for something. I don't think you could get disfellowshipped for that, and it would certainly get people thinking.

2. Use the WT's doublespeak against them. Often we get articles on the one hand that say to the membership to break off all contact with disfellowshipped people. Then on the other hand we get those public articles that state Jehovah's Witnesses don't break up families. Well use the WT's own spin against them! Just ignore all the hard line statements in the literature and highlight the more liberal comments at every opportunity. Make comments like: "opponents of the truth claim Jehovah's Witnesses break up families, but this fine article in the Watchtower shows that is not true. We are reasonable followers of Christ. Of course we don't cut off our family just because they are no longer sitting in the Kingdom Hall right now." You may get some raised eyebrows if you are too forthright, but the more reasonable ones will agree with you. And over time the more such viewpoints are vocalised at the meetings, it can start to change people's mindsets. You would have to be careful how you word it of course, but Watchtower doublespeak does leave a lot of room for making liberal statements along those lines, it's just a case of emphasizing the right points judiciously, and utilizing their own words against them.

3. Take up further education opportunities - and be proud of it! Don't apologise or make excuses. Make it clear you think it is not only acceptable, but a good thing to be doing. Encourage younger ones to get a good education if the opportunity arises in your own family or in conversation with others. Let them know that at least someone in the Kingdom Hall will respect them if they decide to go to university. I cannot emphasize this point enough because it was absolutely crucial for me personally. When I was 18 I was considering going to university and no fewer than 3 elders tried to talk me out of the idea. I would have gone along with it too and become a pioneer instead. But there was another brother who encouraged me to go to university and I can't thank him enough. It was life changing. That little encouragement from that one brother counteracted all the pressure from others not to go to university, and it undoubtedly changed my life for the better. Is that really credible? One single person in a congregation encourages higher education, and as a result a young person decided to go to university instead of pioneering? Well I am telling you that is exactly what happened to me! Don't underestimate the impact subtle liberal influences can have in the right place at the right time.

I am running out of ideas now, but if you have read this far I think you can see the general drift. If you stay with the Witnesses you can have the opportunity to effect significant cultural change at a local level. Just be as liberal and broadminded as the rules will allow and be proud of it. You never know what effect it might have: a youngster who gets an education they would not have otherwise; a sister who starts to work for charity part time and makes friends outside the congregation; a joke about Witness teachings that gets someone to think; a comment at the meeting that makes someone feel it is no shame to have contact with disfellowshipped family - small things, but they add up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit