The trick or treaters are arriving.........

by lovelylil 21 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

when I was about 6 or 7 my mother decided to make candied apples (with red hots) on halloween. When the trick-or-treaters came I answered the door with candied apple in hand and explained that we didn't celebrate halloween. The kids replied if you don't celebrate it what's that in your hand?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Yup, Mah would send US to the door to do her dirty work, "Sorry, we don't celebrate Halloween, it's against our religion."

The looks of confusion, disappointment... even anger. Like, "What the HELL is WRONG with you people? We're just kids!"

coffee_black, Bailey the babyskunk made my day... too cute!

~Sue

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I would never send my kids to the door to do my dirty work when I was a jdub. That is horrible! Your parents probably thought it would teach you to make a stand for jehovah. But I find that inapproprate, especially since you had to go to school the next day and face those kids. Lilly

• sacolton
    sacolton

Wow! We had a HUGE TURN OUT ... well over 100 kids came to our Monster House and my active-JW wife was nice enough to make an emergency trip to the grocery store to get more candy! She looked like she had fun too!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And I didn't get a damn one--not even a false ring on the doorbell!

At least I didn't get my waste of paper yet, either.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

And I didn't get a damn one--not even a false ring on the doorbell!

That happened to us one year. I was pregnant with my first child and we lived in a really nice apartment complex that was gated. We knew there were a lot of kids that lived there so we assumed that halloween was going to be a blast. It was a dud, no kids came. I only got one knock on my door and it was from my neighbor who had dressed up for the occasion. He looked like this:

I almosted blusted a gut, lol

• LDH
    LDH

In our neighborhood, apparently it is know as the 'good neighborhood' for candy purposes, LOL. People from outside the neighborhood come and park their cars on the frontage/access road and walk.

I got almost 70 kids last night, I had bought the miniature boxes of jujufruits and red hot dollars. 6 bags at $6 =36, I think I can handle that. I like to give out a handful.

I have one neighbor who brings a plate of chocolate out and says, choose one!

My hubby walked our son and his friend around for 2 hours, he came home loaded to the gills. Of course he rang our doorbell too and I had to pretend not to recognize him.

• Maryblondgrl
    Maryblondgrl

It is unbelieveable that we all have the same story about turning off all the lights and hiding in the house. We used to go down stairs to the "rumpus room" to watch tv. Well, I've been inactive for a few years and my 12 year old went out last night. She had a BLAST. My poor older daughter who is in college missed out. I feel bad about that.

• Purza
    Purza

I started out with 263 pieces of candy (according to the bags I bought). Between me, my husband and my daughter, we had about 200 pieces to hand out. I gave two candies per kid and I only had about 10 or 12 pieces at the end. Easily over 90 kids came to our door. Crazy - I think that was the most ever.

Purza

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

We get hundreds of trick or treaters, from infants to teenagers. From talking to my neighbors, it seems the average amount of candy given away ranges from 10 to 12 pounds. A guy up the street actually gave toys away. Some people have counted the kids, and it usually comes up to 350 or so. How cool!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit