When an In-Home Family Member is DF'd

by DoomVoyager 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Can anyone point me towards WT quotes about the situation if a member of the immediate family who still lives at home is DFd? I seem to recall a recent one where it stated that "normal family ties could continue, as long as spiritual matters were not discussed... the remaining members of the family would hold their Bible study without the disfellowshipped one present." I would like a few different WT articles if possible.

It may come to this sometime next year.

I know I should do my own homework but I hate having to wade through long boring WT filth just to find the paragraph I'm looking for.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

w884/15p.28pars.11-15DisciplineThatCanYieldPeaceableFruit***

God certainly realizes that carrying out his righteous laws about cutting off wrongdoers often involves and affects relatives. As mentioned above, when an Israelite wrongdoer was executed, no more family association was possible. In fact, if a son was a drunkard and a glutton, his parents were to bring him before the judges, and if he was unrepentant, the parents were to share in the just executing of him, ‘to clear away what is bad from the midst of Israel.’ (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) You can appreciate that this would not have been easy for them. Imagine, too, how the wrongdoer’s brothers, sisters, or grandparents felt. Yet, their putting loyalty to their righteous God before family affection could be lifesaving for them.

Recall the case of Korah, a leader in rebellion against God’s leadership through Moses. In his perfect justice, Jehovah saw that Korah had to die. But all loyal ones were advised: "Turn aside, please, from before the tents of these wicked men and do not touch anything that belongs to them, that you may not be swept away in all their sin." Relatives who would not accept God’s warning died with the rebels. But some of Korah’s relatives wisely chose to be loyal to Jehovah, which saved their lives and led to future blessings.—Numbers 16:16-33; 26:9-11; 2 Chronicles 20:19.

Cutting off from the Christian congregation does not involve immediate death, so family ties continue. Thus, a man who is disfellowshipped or who disassociates himself may still live at home with his Christian wife and faithful children. Respect for God’s judgments and the congregation’s action will move the wife and children to recognize that by his course, he altered the spiritual bond that existed between them. Yet, since his being disfellowshipped does not end their blood ties or marriage relationship, normal family affections and dealings can continue.

The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man."—1 Corinthians 5:11.

Understandably, this may be difficult because of emotions and family ties, such as grandparents’ love for their grandchildren. Yet, this is a test of loyalty to God, as stated by the sister quoted on page 26. Anyone who is feeling the sadness and pain that the disfellowshipped relative has thus caused may find comfort and be encouraged by the example set by some of Korah’s relatives.—Psalm 84:10-12.

see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/disfellowship.htm

• yknot
    yknot

Well this is straight out of Keep Yourselves in God's Love Book (2008 release), pg 133 in the appendix

In some instances, the disfellowshipped family member may still be living in the

same home as part of the immediate household. Since his being disfellowshipped

does not sever the family ties, normal day-to-day family activities and dealings may

continue. Yet, by his course, the individual has chosen to break the spiritual bond

between him and his believing family. So loyal family members can no longer have

spiritual fellowship with him. For example, if the disfellowshipped one is present, he

would not participate when the family gets together to study the Bible. However, if

the disfellowshipped one is a minor child, the parents are still responsible to instruct

and discipline him. Hence, loving parents may arrange to conduct a Bible study with

the child.

* - Proverbs 6:20-22 ; 29:17 .

Also .....

km 8/02 pp.3-4 pars.6-7 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped***

In the Immediate Household: Does this mean that Christians living in the same household with a disfellowshipped family member are to avoid talking to, eating with, and associating with that one as they go about their daily activities? TheWatchtower of April 15, 1991, in the footnote on page 22, states: "If in a Christian’s household there is a disfellowshipped relative, that one would still be part of the normal, day-to-day household dealings and activities." Thus, it would be left up to members of the family to decide on the extent to which the disfellowshipped family member would be included when eating or engaging in other household activities. And yet, they would not want to give brothers with whom they associate the impression that everything is the same as it was before the disfellowshipping occurred.

However, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 28, points out regarding the disfellowshipped or disassociated person: "Former spiritual ties have been completely severed. This is true even with respect to his relatives, including those within his immediate family circle. . . . That will mean changes in the spiritual fellowship that may have existed in the home. For example, if the husband is disfellowshiped, his wife and children will not be comfortable with him conducting a family Bible study or leading in Bible reading and prayer. If he wants to say a prayer, such as at mealtime, he has a right to do so in his own home. But they can silently offer their own prayers to God. (Prov. 28:9; Ps. 119:145, 146) What if a disfellowshiped person in the home wants to be present when the family reads the Bible together or has a Bible study? The others might let him be present to listen if he will not try to teach them or share his religious ideas."
  • Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

If people followed THAT, it would be fine for many.

Everything is the same, but you don't get to study the Watchtower with us.
    Fine with me!

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Well Octarine, they do have this caveat: "And yet, they would not want to give brothers with whom they associate the impression that everything is the same as it was before the disfellowshipping occurred. "

Yknot: THank you, that is the quote I was thinking of.

jwfacts: Thanks for the link.

• avishai
    avishai

>>>>>Thus, a man who is disfellowshipped or who disassociates himself may still live at home with his Christian wife and faithful children. Respect for God’s judgments and the congregation’s action will move the wife and children to recognize that by his course, he altered the spiritual bond that existed between them. Yet, since his being disfellowshipped does not end their blood ties or marriage relationship, normal family affections and dealings can continue.<<<<

So nice of them to give him "permission". What a bunch of bullshit.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I can't remember the year (it was recent)

The Witchtower said the parents will continue to provide for the PHYSICAL needs only because that is their duty.

I remember seeing a young girl who had made a big mistake and got pregnant by a selfish swine of an MS. Having been DF i remember one night she ran out of the hall in distress from the baby and emotional too.

Her Mother followed her - instead of holding her and giving reassurance, shw stood about seven feet away in the foyer, and just looked at her. I saw this myself. For one, I would not have condemned her for giving her girl a glimmer of love.

One can only assume the mother was watching to see if she needed to put her in an ambulance.

HB

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

The Witchtower said the parents will continue to provide for the PHYSICAL needs only because that is their duty.

That's good enough for me! All the cards seem to be in my hand. I know what I need to do; I've known it for years. Now I just need to stop being such a pussy and do it. Who wants to motivate me? lol

(btw, if you provide source for that quote I would appreciate it. I'll have a look myself.)

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Hmm, I found this.

Thereafter, what would parents do in behalf of their erring minor child? They are still responsible for their child, though he is disqualified as an unbaptized publisher or even if he is disfellowshipped because of wrongdoing after baptism. Just as they will continue to provide him with food, clothing, and shelter, they need to instruct and discipline him in line with God’s Word. (Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17) Loving parents may thus arrange to have a home Bible study with him, even if he is disfellowshipped. Maybe he will derive the most corrective benefit from their studying with him alone. Or they may decide that he can continue to share in the family study arrangement. Though he has gone astray, they want to see him return to Jehovah, as did the prodigal son in Jesus’ illustration.—Luke 15:11-24.

It seems that minor children are still to be tortured by Bible studies, but once they reach that magical age of 18 the rule does a complete 180 and they can't even be present at the bible study? Madness!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

We had friends that had a 18 yr old D'fd son living at home . THE FATHER was told he should curtail the fishing trips and recreational outings with his son because it was appearing to the brothers as if nothing had changed . These parents had loads of pressure from busy bodies in the hall thank goodness they are the type of people not to be bullied . They continued a good relationship with their son even now that he lives on his own .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit