Do JW's EVER admit to being wrong about any topic?

by gaiagirl 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Witnesses are trained to believe they are right when speaking about the Bible and their beliefs, even when reminded that their beliefs have been "adjusted" for "new light".

Do JW's you know admit to being wrong on ANY point, whether or not Bible related, or are the "always right" even when shown to be wrong?

• caliber
    caliber

The nearest you'll see is saying...... they're just imperfect men doing the best they can !

Caliber

• yknot
    yknot

A few might when the GB advise them that once again they as R&F read more into something then what the WTS stated.

Most of the time though it is all just light getting brighter.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

They have admitted to incorrect dates, but generally deflect by saying they are eager as apostles were.

"Jehovah's Witnesses, in their eagerness for Jesus' second coming, have suggested dates that turned out to be incorrect." Awake! 1993 March 22 p.4

Generally though in matters of doctrine they say the information was incomplete rather than wrong.

w8112/1p.27par.2ThePathoftheRighteousDoesKeepGettingBrighter*** At times explanations given by Jehovah’s visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case. This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as "tacking." By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds.

It is all just clever play on semantics.

• JeffT
    JeffT

No.

Did I make my answer to long-winded?

• Mum
    Mum

My ex-elder ex-husband once told me that a Methodist minister "beat him" in an argument about doctrine. I think it was the Calvinist doctrine of "persistence of the saints" (usually referred to by others as "once saved, always saved"). I wish I could remember the way he related the story to me.

However, even though the Methodist minister won the argument using scripture, it never occurred to my ex that, in terms of Christian theology, the non-JW could have been right. It was apparently seen as an interesting discussion, but the guy who out proof-texted the would-be champion proof-texters didn't even get an acknowledgement that his point was well made and that there could be another way to look at it.

"My security blanket, full of holes or not."

Regards,

SandraC

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes -sometimes -but it is rare

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've had two brothers, on different occasions, admit to me that, "Yes, sometimes people ARE wrongly disfellowshipped."

That's about it.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

No. They just get "new light".

• LDH
    LDH

I think next time I get called on the carpet for doing something wrong, I'm going to break out that "TACKING" quote.

Let's see how far I get.

LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit