Would you legalize Polygamy?

by sammielee24 37 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yeah but ip, you got to admit it would be "interesting" to build a big jello pit and con them into fighting each other.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Con? Hell all im lacking is a jello pit.

• John Doe
    John Doe

All right, now I should not have to point this out, but forum rules state that whenever jello chick fights shall be mentioned, then a user shall post a picture of a chick jello fight. This might not be in good taste, but rules is rules.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Ynot- Urban legend. Cyles dont' change depending on who you live with.

Answer to original question; HELL TO THE YEAH!

• Scully
    Scully

Several years ago, I was talking with a Muslim physician at work about polygamy in Islamic culture. The rationale for men being allowed to have more than one wife (but not the other way around) was so that it would be clear who fathered the children. He also claimed that polygamy reduced the incidence of adultery - basically by legalizing marriage with more than one wife. Of course, if a woman has a sexual relationship with (or looks sideways at) a man who is not her husband, she can be found guilty of adultery and be executed under sharia law.

Marriage is a good racket for wedding planners, bridal wear vendors, divorce lawyers and clerics. I sometimes wonder if our culture will evolve beyond needing legalized sexual relationships. It might not necessarily be a bad thing to do away with the institution all together.

• yknot
    yknot

mkr32208.....not an urban myth in my house or circle of friends. Though I will concede most studies have one test group that synchronizes and another that doesnt'.

I asked my hubby about plural marriages, he made the average snarky threesome comments but said their was not any room for Tom, Dick, Harry and certainly not Kevin! Ultimately he too cites paternal lineage and also that men ""sometimes"" slip into the mindset that women are possessions.

• halcyon
    halcyon

Would there be tax benefits as you take on more spouses?

If so, then society is paying more for each person's personal decision. Tax benefits for all those children would be through the roof!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I want three husbands. I want them all to have plenty of money and be crazy about me. Then I can stay at different houses on my whim and save a lotta cash for trips to the Riviera. Can I be one of them please?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Would there be tax benefits as you take on more spouses?

If so, then society is paying more for each person's personal decision. Tax benefits for all those children would be through the roof!

Well - I guess if the law states something about taxes for spouses then it would apply. I would not generalize though - just because people have a preconcieved idea about what polygamists are - perhaps we might be wrong. What if there were 3 people in the marriage but all 3 worked? That would mean they all paid taxes. You assume that the marriage would produce many children - again that is presumptious. Just as other families have some or none - it may well be that a pural marriage may make the same decision.

I thought about the more men vs more women in a plural marriage and the more I think about it, the more interesting it becomes. The majority of all the women I know, I'd go so far as to say all of them, wouldn't want more than one man in their life for many reasons. Too many demands being one. Yet many women bond together in a great familial sense when it comes to child rearing, household tasks, family and so on. I think from what I've observed, that may be why more women would gravitate to a plural relationship than a man. sw

• halcyon
    halcyon

women need communal support for emotional issues. They need to talk things through in order to feel better. Men don't traditionally share this need; instead men try to solve whatever problem women talk to them about, then get frustrated when their efforts are rejected. Men also don't suggest improvements to each other for the purpose of drawing closer; men often feel criticized and rejected by the very same efforts that a woman makes in order to draw close to her man. Women get frustrated and feel rejected by this as well, so they turn to the only people who understand them: other women.

In my experience, most women would PREFER the company of multiple men, as long as the men were not domineering. The whole problem is with communication differences.

When men and women learn how to address their different communication needs, and learn how to correctly interpret what the other one is REALLY saying, rather than approaching it from their own gender's standpoint, then they can make a success of their communication and enjoy being with each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit