Would you legalize Polygamy?

by sammielee24 37 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It appears that so far almost 300 of the cases from the Texas raid have been investigated and dropped. One girl - the one who has wed to Jessop, was placed in foster care.

Removing the isolationist tendancies of the Mormon group and that specific religion - if the state wanted to legalize polygamy, would you agree or disagree?

The issue of gay marriages has come up and been voted on - but if people could legally wed as adults and have more than one wife, complete with the responsibilities that legal marriages come with - what would the objection be? There would be no more hiding as it wouldn't be necessary. Births would be recorded. Divorces would have to go through legal systems if they occurred. Families could live together without prejudice.

Taking religion out of it - if a man wanted to have 3 wives, and if he was financially responsible for all of them and the children, if he was 'there' for them and this was a lifestyle choice instead of a religious one, entered into with good faith, love, support and maturity, then would we object and if we do, but we don't object to gay marriage, then what is the difference if it is a lifestyle choice and not a religious one? sammieswife.

• John Doe
    John Doe

There's not one.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Would you legalize Polygamy? NO - I cant cope with one woman - multiple women sounds like a nightmare to me

• yknot
    yknot

You do realize that when women associate on daily basis our cycles tend to be the same...... PMS Multiplied.....

Is what is good for the gander also good for the goose?

I can have Tom, Dick, Harry and Kevin?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It is legal, isn't it?

No, I would not have the state recognize more than one spouse.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Taking religion out of it - if a man wanted to have 3 wives,

Well, if you're excluding religion, why are you only mentioning men having multiple wives? What about women having multiple husbands?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Being realistic, if you have a lot of polygamy, you're going to have much higher chances for incest between brothers and sisters and close cousins. Incest, even among half siblings and cousins can heighten chances for genetic diseases, conditions and mental illness.

I want three husbands. I want them all to have plenty of money and be crazy about me. Then I can stay at different houses on my whim and save a lotta cash for trips to the Riviera.

• John Doe
    John Doe

You all do realize that in some cultures women have multiple husbands? As long as all are on equal footing, I have no problem with it.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Being realistic, if you have a lot of polygamy, you're going to have much higher chances for incest between brothers and sisters and close cousins. Incest, even among half siblings and cousins can heighten chances for genetic diseases, conditions and mental illness.

I want three husbands. I want them all to have plenty of money and be crazy about me. Then I can stay at different houses on my whim and save a lotta cash for trips to the Riviera.

Well - let's say that plural marriages were fine. A man or woman was entitled to dual spouses as long as they could financially support them and as long as they entered into the union as adults. I'm just wondering why, if people support gay marriage as a lifestyle choice and nobodies business, that those same people wouldn't support polygamy as a right to the same choice.

I'm not certain about the incest charges - plurality in marriage doesn't equate to incest as far as I know. We hear of it in the mormon polygamist households but as far as mixed households I am not so sure. There are many mixed families - steps and halves - some who have lived together without incest. Take the polygamists outside the compounds, integrate them into communities and would you have the alleged problems that they apparently have? I don't know. I guess I'm just wondering how and why we make the laws we do and how and why we do or don't apply them across the board.

I suppose if the law across the board were one woman and one man it would negate all other questions - but I do know that the question of legalizing polygamy is hitting the policy makers based on the redefinition of marriage. sammieswife.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I personally would not have more than one wife at a time. I give a shit not about what other people do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit