Did you ever feel as if you were socially handicapped as a Witness?

by Hiddenwindow 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
  • LunaFing
    LunaFing

Yes!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

When did I not feel socially handicapped as a Witness?

And I've not been a Witness since I was 15 and I still feel socially handicapped. Those are lasting scars.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Yes.

I spent my life feeling like I was outside of it, looking in. I would observe what was happening but never feel truly part of it. Since I have left I am slowly starting to feel like I am actually part of what is going on around me, though still feel unusual, like a foreigner trying to integrate into a new country.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

It's like being a peg that's too square for the round hole, and yet too round for the square hole. You don't fit in right anywhere.

• fern
    fern

Yes, and I STILL feel that way after being out for 22yrs. Not being able to participate in many school activities makes you a "freak" to your classmates. Being different is not a good thing when you are a kid, especially. I was forever marked and in turn, that has made it hard to form friendships even now. I have a son who just graduated and he is very social (I made sure he got to do all the things I didn't), because of that, I inevitably had to deal with his classmates parents and teachers during certain activities. For some reason, I always feel like I'm not as good as they are and that they look down their noses at me. It might be all in my head but the feeling is very real. Such a destructive religion in soooo many ways!

• crazycate
    crazycate

Oh my goodness yes! I was shy to begin with. Then I had the misfortune of being the strange girl who didn't celebrate anything and wouldn't associate with anyone in a grade school and middle school with several bullies. And I was the perfect target. All I wanted out of life was to be invisible. I spent my school years sitting in the back corner, whenever possible, and never participating unless absolutely necessary, in the hope that no one would notice me. That leaves a mark.

Cate

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wow, this topic reminds me of last night's "Pushing Daisies" episode.

• LDH
    LDH

Ohhhh I don't know....you can get over it, I know you can

The two JWs that came to my door, I startled them by opening the door quickly (was standing right there), and they were laughing at my Halloween decorations snidely.

I said, "Are you RUDELY laughing at my decorations because you believe there's demons hidden in them? "

Rules I had for escaping the JW ism....

1. bonding with a really great worldly non-JWr who was happy to show me the social ropes

2. WATCH everything in social settings and respond in a similar way.

3. Celebrate everything. GO OVERBOARD. Everyone will think you're a really happy person because you go to all that trouble to decorate your house. When they ask, tell them truthfully, "I was raised a JW, and I was NEVER allowed to do anything like this, so I'm making up for lost time!" with a big old laugh. They'll love it. Trust me.

4. If you have a kid in school, volunteer to help the Room Mom. She'll know what to do, just ask her what you can do to help.

Before long you'll be celebrating like a pro.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Yes, I am glad this issue came up because it seems that people have commented on here before about being normal even though they were raised a witless.

I feel that I am permanantly scarred from being raised a witness.

I still feel guilty when in social settings that are not deemed acceptable to dubs.

What a waste of a good human. I don't mean to sound like better than others but I feel like if given the chance I could have done so much more with my youth so that I wouldn't have to work so hard now.

The hurt runs deep.

MTM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit