Sask. JW church failed to report sexual abuse: Victims

by Tatiana 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I just read this. edited for link... http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=c9d1bb57-3db6-4c5d-81d1-6f70fd9f1b4d

Sask. church failed to report sexual abuse: Victims

Lori Coolican , Canwest News Service

Published: Monday, October 20, 2008

SASKATOON - Two women who were sexually abused in their adolescence by a trusted older relative say elders of the small-town Jehovah's Witness church in which they were raised did not report the situation to police after he admitted touching them inappropriately during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

"We were left to endure years of guilt and shame," one of the women wrote in a victim-impact statement read aloud by Crown prosecutor Krista Zerr during the man's sentencing hearing in Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench on Monday.

"I felt like damaged goods."

Due to a publication ban on information that could identify the victims, the convicted man's name cannot be published. He pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault earlier this year, on what was supposed to be the first day of his trial. In exchange, the Crown dropped charges of sexual interference and sexual touching, as well as a charge related to a male complainant.

Both victims, now ages 31 and 32, testified against the man at an earlier preliminary hearing. They did not attend court Monday. Justice Neil Gabrielson reserved his decision on the man's sentence until Nov. 21.

The two women grew up in a town of about 500 people, east of Saskatoon, and were not allowed to associate with anyone outside their religion, except during school hours, court heard. They frequently spent time at the home of the older relative and his wife, who were church members in their early 20s at the time.

"We trusted them, as Witness families would," the victims' father told the preliminary hearing, according to Zerr. "We assumed (the girls) were in a safe environment."

During one such visit, the man's wife suggested the girls allow him to give them "oil massages," Zerr said. One of the victims, who was 13 or 14 years old at the time, told court the massage involved lying face-down on the couple's bed with the door closed, naked from the waist up. It ended with him fondling her breasts repeatedly.

Her sister testified the man touched her breasts and vagina on several occasions when she was at the couple's home, starting when she was 12 years old.

The girls were given vodka to drink on some of their visits, and were invited more than once to try on pieces of lingerie belonging to the man's wife, who sold it as a source of income, court heard.

After telling each other about the abuse, the two sisters informed their parents. Their father confronted the man, who did not confirm or deny what had happened, and
    the matter was subsequently reported to church elders, Zerr said.

"There was no report to the police at that time."

Instead, the man received a lecture from the elders, and many in the community rallied around him because he regularly attended church meetings - while the girls were "treated like troublemakers" and encouraged to let the whole thing go, one of the victims wrote.

Their father and their abuser later became "dear friends, and would go for coffee daily," a situation which continues to this day, she added.eekmad

"We were trash-talked and slandered throughout the community . . . the religion abandoned us."

The Crown is seeking a jail sentence of two years less a day - which means the man will likely avoid a penitentiary term - while defence lawyer John Will argued Monday for a conditional sentence to be served at home.
    Will gave the court several character references in his client's favour, signed by fellow church members and others, including the town's mayor.

Aside from "some serious mistakes many years ago," the man has led an "exemplary" life, Will said. evil

Saskatoon StarPhoenix 2008
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Poor girls. I wonder how this will affect the general jw population in sask.

S

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm wondering what happened to the man's wife? Sounds like she was complicit.

StAnn

• horrible life
    horrible life

How do the victims, always end up the bad guys??? Dad has coffee with him still???

• misguided
    misguided

Interestingly, one of my abusers came from Saskatoon, too. Just about a decade earlier, though. The M.O. is very similar. It was a JW friend who was the same age of myself' who probably inadvertenly introduced me to her father. The family befriended me, took me camping, gave me alcohol, treated me really nicely...

His wife told me "it" was just part of a "therapeutic massage," something he'd evidently been trained in - yet here in BC he was doing business for Trim-Line." He had been a teacher in a high school in Saskatoon. I wondered why they'd left Saskatchwan with him being a teacher (my outright questions to this never really answered) to come to BC to put stickers on cars. It didn't make sense.

Although I told the elders about everything that happened...in the end I always thougtht that I was disbelievied (3 different times - within 5 years!). I bared my soul to them, and nothing seemed to be done. You'd think that if things were done in a committee situation, they'd at least let the victim know the outcome of the meeting. This is not the case. You're left "out in the cold," with no other information, except to "wait on Jehovah." You think Jehovah sees all and knows all and will make things right...but that's not what happens.

He died of a heart attack 10 years later...or I'd probably be in court today. This Cult deserves a demise that it forcasts for Babylon the Great. It, it my opinion, is a part of it!

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    He died of a heart attack 10 years later...or I'd probably be in court today. This Cult deserves a demise that it forcasts for Babylon the Great. It, it my opinion, is a part of it!

Sorry to hear about this, misguided. I totally believe in Karma. It came for that brother, and it will come for this organization. St.Ann....I too wonder what happened to the wife. I am going to watch for updates, because she needs to go to jail. It infuriates me to no end that the idiot father is still friends with the bastard. Just threw his daughters away after confronting the man. What a coward.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Misguided,

I hear that the Catholic Church has had to pay even in some instances where the molesters were deceased. as long ago as 25 years.

You might want to look into that.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was going to post this article under "Child Sexual Assault and Abuse", but you beat me to it. Anyway, I love this quote from the article:

...defence lawyer John Will argued Monday for a conditional sentence to be served at home.

Will gave the court several character references in his client's favour, signed by fellow church members and others, including the town's mayor.

Aside from "some serious mistakes many years ago," the man has led an "exemplary" life, Will said.

Well, he was supported by his fellow church members while he was molesting children in this case, so who's to say that there aren't dozens or hundreds more victims who are too afraid to come forward? These people make me sick!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I honestly think that last year's settlements were just the tip of the iceberg. I hope these women file a civil suit against the WTS, the perp and the local elders. And, hopefully the judge has the good sense to give this scumbag the max sentence. And, ladies, if you are reading this, please note that your bravery in coming forward will help.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    And, ladies, if you are reading this, please note that your bravery in coming forward will help.

I was just arguing about this subject with some JWS a few days ago. They said new light has changed the laws, and they never, never, never treat the victims badly. I can't even roll my eyes enough for that one. I posted this article for them and everyone else to see. Surprise, surprise...they exit the thread and disappear. How do they live with themselves????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit