Joe the Plumber

by BurnTheShips 108 Replies latest social current

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I guess it isn't fair to let people keep what they earn, revenues be damned

I know an older gentleman. He was a big executive of a steel company back in the late 1970s. His wife had a small dress shop to keep her busy. Know what he said about the high taxes? They became extravagent spenders on deductible purchases. It was no problem to fly first class to Hawaii to attend a seminar, for business of course. When the tax rates get very high, people resist payment. Rich move their money off shore, take extra deductions.

Let me get back to my comments about S corporations. Obama's plan will hinder the small S corporations from growing past the $250,000 barrier. It is at this level of income that businesses can "take off" if they have enough money for advertising & employees. Again, I see Obama's tax plan as putting a cloud over the small businesses. This will be a boom to larger companies like Wal-mart as it will keep new, "up and coming" competitors from entering.

Skeeter

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

TopHat wrote:

LYSMITH said: "Joe's not a plumber." He's a douche, so they have pipe flushing in common. BWAAAHHH HAHHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!! Priceless.......THAT IS DISGUSTING! AN OBAMA follower?

Actually, TopHat, I didn't "say" "Joe's not a plumber." "He's a douche, so they have pipe flushing in common." SixofNine did. I just laughed at it because I thought it witty. And no, I'm not neccessarily "AN OBAMA follower" as you put it. I'm amused at the ridiculous, weak tactics that the candidates are resorting to to try to win over the sheeple of this country. "Joe the Plumber" indeed. Laughable. TopHat, Quick to jump to conclusions & make judgements are we?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Bush rolled back taxes on the wealthy in the middle of a war he started. Is that right or even responsible? What exactly has to happen before people wake up and realize that this country is in trouble?

Stunts like "Joe the Plumber" just make me realize what absolute stupidity got us into this mess to begin with.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I know joe has been exposed a a delusional fraud, but here is an interesting take on a real buisness and their interest.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081017/BUSINESS07/810170386/?imw=Y

Michigan businesses' issues differ from Joe the Plumber's

Joe the Plumber supposedly worries about taxes on a $250,000 income. Lillian the Plumber, whose business has been in metro Detroit since 1901, worries about paying bills and making payroll.

They may share the same profession, but Lillian Powerski says the now infamous Ohio man is no average Joe -- despite the fuss about him in Wednesday's presidential debate.

Powerski owns Powierski Plumbing and Heating in Shelby Township. The business name has a different spelling because some family members dropped the "i" over the years. Her company has been around for generations, started by her late husband's grandfather.

On Wednesday, Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama tried to reach out to people like Powerski by addressing Joe the Plumber's concerns. But some local small business owners couldn't relate to the plumber's plight.

Powerski is the matriarch of a family of plumbers -- she runs the business and her three sons, Mark, Gary and Ron, do the plumbing.

She listened to the debate Wednesday, but wasn't moved by the Joe the Plumber story that McCain used to criticize Obama's tax plan.

"He's asking for more than I'm asking for," Lillian Powerski said about plumbing business worker Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher's objections to Obama's proposals to increase taxes on those making more than $250,000.

"I just want them to be fair to small businesses. ... I'm not a greedy person, I just want to be able to pay my bills," she said, her voice cracking.

Powerski said she has always voted Republican, but this year she expects to vote for Obama. The Republicans make promises, she said, but haven't delivered. She's tired of seeing billion-dollar companies bailed out, when she faces high taxes. She's tired of good customers who can't pay their bills.

"I don't want more of the same," she said. Obama "can't be any worse."

Wurzelbacher was thrust into the spotlight Wednesday after a Sunday encounter in Toledo when he told Obama that he was preparing to buy the plumbing company where he works. Wurzelbacher indicated that the business earns more than $250,000 a year, and said: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?"

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39% tax, instead of the current 36% rate.

In his first 24 hours of fame, however, many holes formed in Wurzelbacher's story. ABC News reported that Wurzelbacher wants to purchase the plumbing business for $250,000 to $280,000, not that he would net that much in profits. He would make much less, he said.

He also owes unpaid income taxes and his income was about $40,000 in 2006, according to the Toledo Blade. He isn't a licensed plumber.

Obama's plan actually would help Wurzelbacher, said Obama spokesman Brad Carroll.

"Since Joe the Plumber makes less than $250,000, he won't see a dime of tax increase under the Obama plan, and he's likely to get a tax cut," Carroll said in an e-mail Thursday.

McCain continued to push the plumber's plight Thursday, telling supporters outside Philadelphia that Wurzelbacher's story would resonate.

Although he felt some affinity toward Joe the Plumber, the debate gimmick didn't sway Bruce Milen, owner of Southfield-based Jax Kar Wash.

Milen said he's leaning toward supporting McCain because of traditional Republican small-government policies. But the 61-year-old, who inherited the business from his father, is realistic about promises.

"The reality is, the things they try to do, they can't get done. The decisions are made by Congress," Milen said, adding that most of the tax policies that are problematic are at the state level, not the federal level.

Dana Johnson, chief economist at Comerica Bank, said neither candidate has proposed radical tax changes. Obama's plan appears to be undoing previous tax cuts for the relatively prosperous or people with a lot of investment income, Johnson said.

"We're hyperventilating too much about taxes here," Johnson said. What's been proposed is "not going to turn a successful small business into an unsuccessful one."

Taxes aren't the only issue, said George Bednar, vice president and general manager of Adray TV Camera & Sound, a small family-owned business in Dearborn that has survived competition against big-box appliance and electronics stores.

Bednar has worked with the Adray family since 1978. He said small business owners are concerned about health care, schools and making sure government invests in small business.

Taxes "are not the only thing going on," he said, adding he still hasn't made up his mind about who'll get his vote Nov. 4. "Sometimes some of our politicians need to listen more."

Contact MARY FRANCIS MASSON at [email protected].

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39% tax, instead of the current 36% rate.

All of this fuss is over 4%?!?

• dawg
    dawg

As we read BTS pine away about "social engineering" we that have read the news the last few days knows the facts... the Republicans are the social engineers, they are the class warfare pros. The real Joe plumber knows this and will vote for Obama as the above quote says.

"She's tired of seeing billion-dollar companies bailed out, when she faces high taxes. She's tired of good customers who can't pay their bills."

It's the Republicans who pad their tax breaks year after toward huge companies and the wealthy... we in the left think the opposite way, we want a strong middle class... they are the social engineers. We want what's fair.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The base of voters which the Big Government Republicans pander to has been voting against their own interests for years.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I do not trust him to do so either, an overview of his legislative history demonstrates that he is essentially a raiser, not cutter, of taxes. This is not what we need.

BTS

One other thing that's missing on this thread, besides McCain's age (he's w-a-y past retirement and it shows), is WAR !

You know the..."what is it is good for -- nuthin' " kind ? The Democrats started a useless, immoral war back in the 60's. Now, we have the same mind-set of 'war mongering' going on in the Republican party. Last time it took a Republican, Nixon, to finally put a stop to the violence. This time it will take a Democrat -- Obama!

The Iraq War has been the largest tax ever imposed upon our country. 1.5 Trillion dollars and growing by $10,000,000,000 each week ! Can you possibly imagine how our much country could would have benefited if we still had that money ? And, not to forget the misadventure of Vietnam, how much money did we waste there ? I'm certainly not forgetting the waste of all the human lives -- on both sides -- or the misery that all those veterans that survived being wounded -- both physically & mentally. McCain was one of them and has learned nothing.

All folly. All useless waste. Vietnam & Iraq never attacked the US. There is, and always will be, people that need to have wars and there's always people who think their patriotism -- is proved -- by their 'going along' with the herd mentality. This time...this war...leaders have stood up and said, "Enough !"

Obama is one of those leaders. John McCain, Sarah Palin, GW Bush & Dick Cheney are in a lock-step march to "win" a war -- at any cost ! LOOK at our economy ! We don't have the money to spend on 'luxuries' like policing the world, nation-building and "spreading democracy." Our infrastructure is crumbling, our economy is near collapse and we may take the world down with us. Our veterans are treated with unbelievable disrespect, so are our mentally ill, millions of our people have no access to health care, except in an emergency, yet...Iraq's infrastructure is being rebuilt by us, their citizens enjoy health care -- Paid-in-Full by US taxpayers. They have a surplus of around 50 Billion Dollars. Meanwhile we are in debt for Trillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I suppose we can just let our country fall apart, so we can "win" a war. The Chinese have plenty of more money they'll lend us.

I say, "Enough !"

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Plunge the crap out of Washington!!!

http://www.joewurzelbacher2010.com/

BTS

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

All of this fuss is over 4%?!?

If times were good, 4% would not hurt many businesses.

When times are bad, as they are now, raising taxes by 4% will have sqeeze businesses even more than they are already. Sales are down, so to be competitive, the business can't pass the 4% increase to its customers to absorb. I think businesses are going to have to cut costs. That may mean not buying new equipment, not hiring more people, laying off some people, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit