JW's mentioned on Radio4 as being resistant to reporting child abuse.

by floriferous 29 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Spelling correction: It's toe the line (not tow the line.)

It really annoyed me when I found it, and I can't edit it, so my apologies to the gods of English orthography.

• cofty
    cofty
    Can't you see the connection between what happened back then when that law was passed and what I am suggesting could happen now when I used Mayflower to respond to your earlier post?

No. There is absolutely no comparison.

If the proposed law is tightened further, religious leaders would be obliged to comply with reasonable child welfare policies and procedures. You are comparing that to the religious "persecution" of the 17th century.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Fisherman, do you really think that people still emigrate from England because they can't do what they want religiously?

And, Cofty, sleep is not a bad word!

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"Bass, who is the chief executive of the Churches' Child Protection Advisory Service (CCPAS), welcomed the proposed measures and said there was a need for mandatory reporting in the UK, including for the Church.

"Far too often, abuse has not been reported and anything that could drive that change is to be welcomed," he said.

"This should not be about getting at over-worked social workers and police officers; this should really be about intent – why did somebody not report? And if it can be proven that they failed to report because they were protecting the reputation of the institution or individuals then clearly that tips into the criminal element."

Article

Also, if you want to send Mr. Bass any information as to Watchtower child abuse policies and cover-ups:

Contact

Simon Bass, Chief Executive Officer

Address

Po Box 133
    Swanley
    Kent
    BR8 7UQ

Telephone

0845 120 4550

Website

www.ccpas.co.uk/
    Email[email protected]

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    I've emailed him. Will let you know of the reply if I get one.
  • floriferous
    floriferous
    I hope you get a response dot.
  • Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Only if they pass a law making it mandatory to report to the authorities sexual abuse will the WT or any other group of people turn in their own.

I can only wish it happens soon here in the USA.

SL

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Dear Dot, Thank you for your email and for the various pieces of reference material you have provided me with in relation to the Jehovah’s Witnesses and safeguarding concerns. As a charity we have been calling for mandatory reporting, as have many other organisations including survivor groups as we would like to see the removal of a place of worship having any discretion about whether to inform the statutory authorities. We are a Christian child protection charity though work with other faith groups. We are obviously aware of some of the safeguarding situations here in the UK relating to the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the actions of the Charity Commission more recently. Whilst I had seen some of the links you provided I was not aware of the ‘letter to elders’ so thank you for sharing this. Details of CCPAS can be found at www.ccpas.co.uk
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

The above was the reply from Simon Bass.

The letter referred to was the October 2012 elders letter I sent him. I included the abc video and article, with several other news items, like the Reveal article.

• cofty
    cofty
    Well done DOT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit