JW's mentioned on Radio4 as being resistant to reporting child abuse.

by floriferous 29 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cofty
    cofty

No the Magna Carta has no role in modern UK law although it established the principle of rights.

Even the proposed change in the law will not go as far as mandatory reporting. I'm not sure why Cameron is being so cautious.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Mayflower,

What I mean to say is

"Seeking Religious Freedom
    The pilgrims left England in 1609 so that they could practice the religion they chose. An English law, the 1559 Act of Uniformity, demanded that all British citizens attend services and follow the traditions of the Church of England."

• cofty
    cofty
    The pilgrims left England in 1609 so that they could practice the religion they chose

No they left England so they had the freedom to behave like the Purtian Taliban. You need to read history that wasn't written by right-wing Americans.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Purtian Taliban You need to right-wing Americans

Your thoughts appear to have colour. Thus, they are not Vulcanic.

• cofty
    cofty
    It's always like having a conversation with a random text generator talking to you Fisherman.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

You've had a conversation with RTG have you? Or do you need everything spelled out for you?

• cofty
    cofty
    Factious gerbil unstinting and some therefore but constantly however timorously and hoggish that rhinoceros and jeez according yikes much more promiscuously while jeepers clear some less far outbid frog awkward some goodness impeccable.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

The Pilgrims were Puritans who were dumb enough to sail on the Mayflower and land in Massachusetts right before winter.

They were separatists who had previously left England for The Netherlands. Not finding the paradise they wanted there, they decided to retain their English identity by sailing to North America to create New England.

Cue witch trials and banishment for those who weren't strict enough. Anne Hutchinson was a mouthy woman who dared to speak and teach in church and got banished to Rhode Island. All the bad kids got sent there. Sunday sermons featured family favorites like "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." ( God thinks you are disgusting and you will burn in hell forever for it. )

No, there was no freedom of religion. You either towed the line or you were banished, pretty much to the wilderness. It was those banishees who were interested in the separation of church and state. The church was the state in Puritan New England.

Ugly people, those Puritan Pilgrims.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

A quote from the sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God:"

"The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you and is dreadfully provoked..."

and

"...he will crush you under his feet without mercy; he'll crush out your blood, and make it fly, and it shall be sprinkled on his garments, so as to stain his raiment. He will not only hate you, but he will have you in the utmost contempt; no place shall be thought fit for you, but under his feet, to be trodden down as the mire of the streets."

- Jonathan Edwards, 1703

England wouldn't have these crazies. The Netherlands wouldn't have them, either. So, America got stuck with them.

Creepily, this sounds much like Christian Fundamentalist rhetoric of today.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    cofty, when anyone says to you that there is color in your argument he means that he believes that you are obfuscating the real issue with your feelings -Like your remarks that I highlighted (unveiling your thoughts to everyone on this thread); Do they have anything to do with the fact the the Pilgrims left England because a law was passed regulating the way that they wanted to practice their religion? Can't you see the connection between what happened back then when that law was passed and what I am suggesting could happen now when I used Mayflower to respond to your earlier post? Also, when I said 'Vulcanic', I meant "Vulcan" like. I was referring to Star Trek Vulcan logic without emotion(color).. The dialogue we had about the the "proposed law" clearly showed what appears to be the purpose of changing British law. That is one of the things that I wanted to highlight. Do you agree that feeling can cloud thinking. And sometimes people cannot think correctly, not because of intellectual reasons but because emotion colors their thoughts, their thinking is not clear or they are trying to purposely delude using this logical device. Do I sound like RTG? or the gibberish you posted referring to my posts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit