A letter from a daycare teacher ...

by sacolton 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Hi Sacolton, I would love to post this as a question at Yahoo answers. Is her blog linkable, and could you ask her for her permission do do so? Thanks!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I recall making a Mother's Day card at school. Of course, my mom later that day tried to explain to me why that was wrong. And of course, I accepted that explanation without complaint, as I did with everything else I was told when I was a child. I think that the worst time I had was in music class. For whatever reason the music teacher couldn't fathom why I wouldn't sing certain songs in class. I was a high strung child, so I was always on the verge of tears whenever a situation was beyond my routine experience. The conflicting messages between authority figures, parents on the one hand and teachers on the other, was very confusing to me at that young age.

Yes, I survived. No, I don't think it was good for my social development. I suppose there has to be some allowances made for different religions. After all, would you offer a Jewish kid a ham sandwich? Most of us see nothing wrong with eating pork, but Jews and Muslims would be quite offended by that. That said, I completely understand the frustration of the daycare teacher. However, like others have said, the situation could have been handled more effectively if parents and caregivers had coordinated arrangements. I think the greater part of the blame in this instance lays with the parents for their failure to plan ahead for the inevitable holiday and birthday celebrations with the caregivers.

Dave

• restrangled
    restrangled

I understand why that teacher wrote a note home....I wish my teachers had done the same in grade school. She is showing empathy for the child and may just get the parent to think.

The two worst holidays for me were Halloween and Valentines day. All other holidays we were usually pulled out of school, although I do remember a few trips to the library with 2 others. The Principal would come and personally remove us from class....and boy did she hate us, she always made us feel so ashamed.

On Valentines day everyone had previously made decorated shoe boxes in art class, with a slit in the top to receive valentines from all their classmates and teachers. There I would sit, no shoebox and no Valentines to give out. I would receive a few...but it was always so embarassing. The only explanation I had for anything was "Sorry, its against my religion". No grade school kids would grasp the concept of Pagan Holiday.....I didn't either....but I did know how to "parrot".

On Halloween everyone would come to school in their outfits and trick or treat on the way home. Of course, the three JW's were the only ones not dressed up. Our home was always TP'd, egged and/or spray painted with foul language. Instead of just not answering the door, we answered and said...."We don't celebrate". I think a lot of people don't celebrate now, but in the 60's it was unheard of not to have candy for kids.

I think of all the stress that was created by this religion for little children by a bunch of protected old men and it seems crazier than ever.

r

• Xandria
    Xandria

I understand everyone's view point however, appeal to the parent, rather than make the child the subject of a power struggle. Ask the parent, to have something special for the child that would be inclusive and special for the child. Rather than attack the parent, and justifiying her position of persecution, on the behalf of her "lord."

I have had it both ways where I felt left out and bereft as a child. And persecuted for the religion I was conflicted about, but had to "stand" for because it was the root religion of my parents. I had teachers on both spectrums, where some were kind and sympathetic, to those who took it an whole other level of torture and humiliation, just to prove their point. The child is in the middle, and it isn't their fault. However making them the subject, simply subjects them to more pain, more confusion and more scrutiny. Drawing more attention to the situation tends to single out, the child (which at times makes them the Target of other children because they are different) and gives them the opening Jw's need to feel justification in their "stance".

X.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Although posting on a blog is a matter of opinion (is the MySpace in her real name) it's exactly that - a blog.

However isn't spanking a kid outlawed these days and especially for something like joining in a party.

It's about time someone let these people know that there are rules everyone has to live by.

• Quotes
    Quotes

If the JW parent had read this blog post (or if it was actually a note sent home, which of course would have been inappropriate, even if it was correct):

"AAAAHHH!!!! PERSECUTION!!! I'M BEING PERSECUTED!!!! THEY HATE ME AND MY CHILD BECAUSE WE ARE JWS, JUST LIKE THEY HATED JESUS. YES, WE ARE JUST LIKE JESUS. PERSECUTED AND HATED!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH"

• undercover
    undercover
    by the time I was 5 I could spew the reasons why we don't celebrate like I was singing "Mary had a little lamb"

So could I...and I bet most JWs from a certain time period back could as well.

That's the difference in today's JWs...they can't really give any reason for what they believe. They believe because they're told to believe.

Sure, there are some who can recite scriptures and all the BS that explains their stance, but on the whole the average JW goes through life dumber than a box of rocks. They can't explain their doctrines. They'll go out of their way to avoid a sitiuation (like a Birthday or national anthem) so as to not have to stand out and stand up and explain something they don't really understand.

This teacher is right. Too many JW parents tell their kids, "You can't celebrate Birthdays...Jehovah doesn't like it..." and they think they've done their job. This was a case of poor parenting.

It's okay to be different. It's okay to not celebrate something, but for love of John the Baptist's head on a platter, make sure they understand why before you push them out into a situation where they're going to not fit in and not understand.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Dear gods.

Now doesn't that make a "fine witness". I have tears in my eyes.

Dammit.

• sir82
    sir82
    They can't explain their doctrines. They'll go out of their way to avoid a sitiuation (like a Birthday or national anthem) so as to not have to stand out and stand up and explain something they don't really understand.

And, they used to be proud to be different. "We have the truth, these poor unwashed pagan masses don't have the same privileged knowldege that we do."

Now, of course, thanks to the internet, that "privileged knowledge" is full of holes - and a lot of people can knock down the poor arguments that a JW might make.

And JWs, in general, are embarrassed rather than proud of how different they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit