A letter from a daycare teacher ...

by sacolton 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

This is from a friend I know who posted this on her blog ...

Dear uber-religious Jehovah's Witness mother,

What the hell is it gonna hurt for your daughter to join in on wishing a classmate a happy birthday? Is she gonna burn in hell for eating a pink-frosted cupcake and smiling a little? Because of YOUR religious beliefs, your little girl spent a good half-hour crying in the reading area while all her classmates enjoyed cuppy-cakes and blew on little noisemakers and had a fun time. Are you even aware that she doesn't UNDERSTAND why she can't join in? When one of her little friends asked why she couldn't have a cupcake, your daughter's answer was "Because my Mama said so...she might spank me."

If you're gonna push YOUR religious beliefs on a FIVE-YEAR-OLD kid, at least explain to her WHY your particular faith says she's not allowed to have fun like a normal kid. Lord knows she has a hard enough time fitting in already.

Isn't that heart-breaking?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

yes, heartbreaking.

purps

• yknot
    yknot

Wow....... by the time I was 5 I could spew the reasons why we don't celebrate like I was singing "Mary had a little lamb"

• Robdar
    Robdar

I'm having a flashback.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I'm having a flashback.

No kiddin'. And this is just the beginning.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

So sad. This little child's freedoms were taken away from her. All of us are having flashbacks to our days when our freedoms were taken away.

My mother-in-law said the thing she regretted the most about her years as a JW was missing the fun and excitement of having birthday parties for the kids. They will never be those tender ages again.

• LDH
    LDH

I'm glad it was on her blog. It belonged on an anonymous note in the child's backpack.

Oh YES I have.

• Xandria
    Xandria

While it is heart breaking, that teacher put herself in a very actionable position, and can be punished by the day care director, or district director for this type of letter. It places them in a discrimination position, due to religious beliefs. While the teacher's heart is breaking for the child, the way she put it, will be looked upon as unprofessional. Had she put it in a way that explained the mental harm and that she was concerned, then it would be acceptable. Cursing at a parent, and attacking them, in the first opening sentences, is a sure way to end up in the wrong position and defending yourself and your position. She took a great risk in writing this...

I am sure the mother of this child will place herself as being a victim of religious discrimination, etc. etc.

X.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

J W parenting is not what it used to be , as a kid, I am sure I could have said why I did not do birthdays, and put on a brave face about it...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am upset with the day care worker. There are many things the worker could have done to ease the child's pain. For instance, ways could have been found to include the child before or after. Negotiate with the parent ahead of the event. Would a cupcake without a candle be appropriate? Could the parent have taken the child to a special event such as a matinee movie on the day of the party? And so on.

Demonising the parent is completely useless and counterproductive for the child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit