A letter from a daycare teacher ...

by sacolton 28 Replies latest jw friends

• still-fading
    still-fading

i think the whole thing puts teachers and care providers in a very difficult position. Sounds like the day care worker got a little fed up, although she /he could have worded it much much better. But I remember growing up and being in school. My teachers were constantly put in the position of making excuses for me to the other kids. I had no idea why i couldn't do many of the things the other kids were doing, like the little girl, I was scared of being punished. I had no idea why.

• dinah
    dinah

This teacher did put herself in a bad position, but I can understand her passion.

My 3rd grade teacher was concerned that I suffered from anxiety. She voiced her concerns to my mother who just said "She just hates the Witnesses".

My heart goes out to that poor kid and the teacher too. That teacher is trying to help soothe a child's pain.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    That teacher is trying to help soothe a child's pain.

Bull. The only thing this teacher's actions will accomplish is to widen the gulf between the child and society that she is purporting to abhor. The intentions of her letter may be honorable, but the effects will be counter productive and in effect are quite hypocritical.

• dinah
    dinah

Maybe it's just that I have no patience for Dub parents ruining their kids' lives with crap. Kids love cupcakes and parties. But really, cupcakes and parties isn't really what this teacher is trying to say. I think she realizes what a hard row this kid has to hoe.

Praise GOD my kids aren't having to deal with that stuff. We've had birthday parties here 2 weekends in a row. My son was 12 last week, daughter turned 15 Friday. We had parties with alot of kids and cake. Nobody lost their head or anything!!

• LDH
    LDH

Dinah,

For your kids!!!!

• Gregor
    Gregor

A lot of us here, me included, have been the 5 year old on the outside looking in at the birthday, Christmas, Halloween, etc. We have also been the parent of the 5 year old making sure our child didn't have any part of pagan practices. Finally, we have also been the outside observer feeling badly for the child who's life is being impacted by a screwball religion. I survived, my kids survived. It wasn't the end of the world (no pun intended).

But I think the above blogger would be more appropriately outraged if they spoke out against denial of certain types medical care or the discouragement of education by misguided cult followers. These are the religous outrages that deserve NO acceptance or respect.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

was this a post on a blog or was this a note that was sent home for the parents to read?

• sacolton
    sacolton

It was posted on her MySpace blog.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well I applaud her opinion and I'm glad it wasn't a note sent home.

• dinah
    dinah

Gregor, you are so right. I just can't get the image of a child crying over a cupcake out of my head.

When my daughter was in kindergarten, she came home telling me about a kid who couldn't have any snacks at the Valentine's day party they had at school. I almost threw up.

Thing is, it starts out with no holidays, progresses to no friends who aren't witnesses, no education (because thinking is BAD). I want to just grab that kid up and hug her stuffings out, and tell her she IS good enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit