Life begins at conception?

by Gladring 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I agree FHN. A complex issue at least for me....sammieswife.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    To quote Sam Harris "God is the greatest abortionist of all"

Sam Harris is a fool! As I said before, it is God's prerogative to take any life, any time He chooses. He will take mine, yours and Sam Harris' when it suits Him.

I accept the logic of his arguments and yet there is still something distasteful about the distruction of human life. My own opinions on this subject have changed and I now see the issue being discussed and solved based on scientific knowledge rather than the Bible and religious belief.

The new life formed at conception belongs to an individual, it is human, with its own unique genetic code. These cells do not have the mothers genetic code, like her cells do. Thus they are not her cells, such as a tumor would be. Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

I'm interested to hear opinions on this, but I would like to know an answer to where, if at all, this is stated in the Bible.

What more needs to be said from the bible?

• Gladring
    Gladring

>>>>>Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

>>>>>What more needs to be said from the bible?

Well if the god of the bible at times commands that people be killed (we really haven't got time to go into all the examples) and makes allowances and exceptions to this then it's clear that the command in exodus 20:13 has nothing to do with the life of the unborn. And if we are getting into it, that commandment is best understood as "Thou shalt not commit murder" as the Jews do.

Maybe I could put this differently - if the god of the bible says it's ok to kill in revenge for a murder/manslaughter or to keep the nation pure then maybe he would also make an exception if killing someone would prevent suffering.

So if we want to talk about life of the unborn I don't view Exo 20:13 as relevant at all.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I doubt that the ancients new much about blastocysts.

Astute remark

Could they have answered the main question of this thread?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The greatest form of abortion is nature itself. Many conceived ovum do not attach to the uterus and are "aborted". So aborting a zygote can hardly be considered wrong.

In true contradiction the Watchtower considers abortion wrong, but then claims life does not start till birth, so miscarried or aborted babies do not get a resurrection.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The greatest form of abortion is nature itself. Many conceived ovum do not attach to the uterus and are "aborted". So aborting a zygote can hardly be considered wrong.

This is nature. It is not a person choosing to end the pregnancy. Miscarriages are not the same as deliberate abortions. I am still pro-choice though.

In true contradiction the Watchtower considers abortion wrong, but then claims life does not start till birth, so miscarried or aborted babies do not get a resurrection.

They teach this because they want to scare JW's into not having abortions. "If they baby doesn't breathe the breath of life, it will not have a resurrection." This is a control tactic. Look at their publications such at the Aid to Bible Understanding and the Insight books and you find that the "breath of life" is passed onto all of Adam's children, indirectly through Adam. I did the research after a rude person tried to tell me the breath of life/resurrection dealio when I had very difficult pregnancy.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Glading

Well if the god of the bible at times commands that people be killed (we really haven't got time to go into all the examples) and makes allowances and exceptions to this then it's clear that the command in exodus 20:13 has nothing to do with the life of the unborn. And if we are getting into it, that commandment is best understood as "Thou shalt not commit murder" as the Jews do. Maybe I could put this differently - if the god of the bible says it's ok to kill in revenge for a murder/manslaughter or to keep the nation pure then maybe he would also make an exceptionif killing someone would prevent suffering.

You do know the difference between revenge and execution don't you? As for killing in self defense I don't think anyone has a problem with using abortion in a case of self-defense. What I mean by self-defense is, to protect one's life from death or serious bodily harm (injuries that can cause death). But simply "suffering"? Define "suffering".

So if we want to talk about life of the unborn I don't view Exo 20:13 as relevant at all.

The unborn or preborn are not subhuman, but, they are the least powerful and the most in need of protection from murder.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think this topic has been covered well enough lately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit