Life begins at conception?

by Gladring 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Aculama
    Aculama

The law of sewing and reaping is very prevalent in the scriptures. From this I have come to this conclusion: If I plant a seed in the ground, and nothing natural goes wrong, that seed will become a plant. If I plant a seed in the ground and then go back and dig it up before it sprouts and crush it, it will not become a plant. I believe when a man plants his seed in a womans egg and then later returns to destroy it he has interfeared or stopped that life. Murder is "unlawfully" ending a persons life. If your moral absolute is man made law than what difference does it make when life begins? Abortion is leagal, so by man's definition it's not murder. I'm stickin' to the law of sewing and reaping.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Abortion is widely used and an accepted part of modern life but if anyone could bring someone from any part of history from before it's usage they would just be horrified and ask us "you kill your babies while they are in their mothers body?" the simplicity of this thought is my biggest issue with abortion.

Just curious - could you define the term 'modern life'? Thanks..sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Stem cells can come from other places such as the umbilical cord blood from childbirth. To say stem cell research only involves embryos is to misrepresent the whole scope of the science.

Whether the embryo can feel anything or think is not the complete consideration. Consider that the embryo holds the genetics for an entirely unique individual with the potential for a life no one else could ever duplicate. Had any of us been used for stem cell research as embryos, where would be now? Think about it. It's just something that should be considered in addition to whether the embryo can think of feel.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

No matter if women have had abortions since the beginning, it doesn't mean there are no ethical questions involved with abortion.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

This has never been a question to me...because it has always been crystal clear to me that at the moment of conception, that two celled creation is going to grow into a human being. That acorn will become an oak. That corn seed, when you plant it you expect to get a corn plant from. There is no question about what it is in seed form is what it will ultimately become. That would beg the question then is a child less worthy to live than an adult just by virtue of the fact that it is still young?

Just because it is not breathing on its own, or living outside of the mother, doesnt make an embrio any less a human being at one week than it does at 41 weeks.

A person who has lived a full life and had a spinal injury, and who is now kept alive by a respirator and not "breathing on his own" is as much a human being now as he was before the accident.

Im sure that the Creator, who Created the entire process of procreation, never thinks that that newly fertilized egg is not one of his babies.

Ive told my daughter so many times in her life (though she has chosen to be celebate) that if she ever were to become pregnant that abortion was NOT an option and that I would take the baby if she couldnt handle it but at no time would destroying that life be an option. My best friend in high school got pregnant in college, had an abortion in 1972 and never could get pregnant again. She regrets that decision every day of her life and thinks all the time about what age that child would be now.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

No matter if women have had abortions since the beginning, it doesn't mean there are no ethical questions involved with abortion.

I absolutely agree. I include all the ethical questions regarding male involvement of the very action and law - since from the beginning of time, a womans body has for the most part been under the law of man. The offshoot of that and something I find so contrary - is that if women are so valued for their reproductive abilities ie the vessel of life by men making those laws, why it is that women are so abused so very often by those same men.

A woman is raped every 2 minutes

One out of every four girls will be molested before she reaches 18 years of age.

Three million women a year suffer violence at the hands of their partner/spouse/boyfriend.

324,000 women a year are the victims of violence while pregnant.

$4.1 billion a year is spent on mental and physical medical assistance for rape, stalking, abuse victims.

I do agree that there are and I'm sure, humans being what we are, that there always have been ethical issues around abortion. I think that women have tried to gain control over their bodies forever and even in Roman times where women could be forced to bear children at the whim of their husband, and then have that child die or sold into slavery at the whim of that same husband, they tried to do this by aborting. Later on it became farmers who needed a lot of children to help him with his land perhaps. I don't think the issue will ever go away because it isn't one that can be simplified because of diverging cultural, religious and societal beliefs...sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As long as there are women and as long as women can have babies, this dilemma will exist. I feel comfortable with using stem cells from umbilical cord blood and other sources. I feel that to use embryos for stem cell research is very questionable.

But then you can bring in vitro fertilization. In vitro has it's own ethical questions. I am but a tiny speck in this vast universe. I will not shoulder the responsibility of making reproductive decisions for anyone else.

Our world sure is complex and screwed up. For me, I believe this life we have here on earth is not the only life we shall all live. I take comfort in knowing that the Great Spirit or God will see all human life to its potentiality, whether it be on earth or in the heavens. Still, we all pay consquences for our decisions and choices and those of others. And humankind does not escape the collective consequences of its collective decisions. Ethics do matter, in the grand scheme of things.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here's an interesting article about the possibility of using menstral blood for a source of stem cells:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21996417/

• lesterd
    lesterd

Life begins before conception, the sperm is alive, the eggs are alive, when they unite tthey form a living growing being.

• lesterd
    lesterd

Then we could end all conceptions and still have birth? Wow I wonder what those scriptures meant when it say that we were know before the founding of the world?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit