The Spanking Room: A Child's Eye View of the Jehovah Witnesses

by Dogpatch 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Anyone read this book?

The author is sending me a copy, just wondered. Just published in July!

Randy

The Spanking Room: A Child's Eye View of the Jehovah Witnesses (Paperback)
    More info on the book can be found here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Spanking-Room-Childs-Jehovah-Witnesses/dp/1579219659/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221225776&sr=8-1

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

I had stopped vomiting, but still shook and sobbed. Mom returned to the room to sit on the edge of my bed. Again she asked, "Billy what's wrong?" "That was my bus route," I whispered when I could get words out. "What if someone I knew came to the door?" "So?" "They'd find out I was a Jehovah's Witness." Mom's hand met the side of my head in a flash of brilliant white light and an explosion of pain. I collapsed onto the mattress while she flailed at me, her rage-clenched fists thudding into my eight-year-old body. "How dare you?" she shrieked. "You awful, rotten child! How dare you be ashamed of Jehovah? I hate you! I hate you!"

The Spanking Room is the true story of a young boy's upbringing, and how the unorthodox doctrines of the Watchtower Society encourage violence against its most helpless members--the children.

Whether you are looking for specific answers or an overall understanding of Jehovah's Witness beliefs and practices, The Spanking Room delivers in a straightforward, compelling manner.

Journey with little Billy Coburn as he grows up in the Watchtower Society, learn what Jehovah's Witnesses believe about God, and experience the inner workings of the Kingdom Hall through a child's-eye view. If you or someone you love is a Jehovah's Witness, this book is for you.

About the Author
    Bill Coburn is a Christian, a husband, and a father. He is a successful technical recruiter with a list of clients that include the Pentagon. Bill is an accomplished public speaker and has given seminars, classes, and workshops on subjects ranging from drug awareness counseling to close-combat survival at West Point. He is also a Master of Tae Kwon Do, a discipline he's taught for twenty years.

Product Details

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Next on my list after I get a green dragon jw bible....LOL

I asked a question about getting beat up at the hall. I can still remember lots of times when either me or one of the other kids in the hall had the crap kicked outta them in "The Back" of the hall.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081001083126AAb41Pt

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I haven't read it, but from the other reviews: the child asked his mother: "Mom, if God told you to kill me, would you do it?". This brings back bad memories for me. I had nightmares for years after my father answered this same question from me.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    "Mom, if God told you to kill me, would you do it?".

I can still remember many times when my folks said that if given the choice, they would have to choose Jah over any of us kids. And on the flip-side, we better choose him over each other and even over our parents. We used to have a scenario day every couple of months. Usually after some persecution rant went on at the hall.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I didn't get spanked at the meetings. I was too scared of my mom. I saw a lot of kids having their arms wrentched while being dragged to the back, dragged back by their ear, carried kicking and screaming with a hand over their mouth. If I started getting antsy my mom would rap me in the head with the knuckle of her middle finger. I still have dents.

• dinah
    dinah

I got pinched alot.

• hubert
    hubert

This is definitely on my buy list. Thanks, DP.

Hubert

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I posted to the link that someone (tired of hipocracy ??) provided but just remembered another incident.

There was a sister in my last hall that had several kids and grandkids. She would 'teach' parents how to hurt their kids without leaving marks. Pinch them at the base of their skull (hairline) or pull little clusters of hair at the same area.

There was a group of about 3 or 4 sisters who employed this method of discipline.

-Aude.

• searcher
    searcher

Next on my list after I get a green dragon jw bible....LOL

I asked a question about getting beat up at the hall. I can still remember lots of times when either me or one of the other kids in the hall had the crap kicked outta them in "The Back" of the hall.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081001083126AAb41Pt

I just had to answer 'Samantha' her post made my blood boil. (I am Steve R)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit