JWs come for a visit! I can't believe it.

by dawg 35 Replies latest social family

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Bonnzo,

The ties that bind us here at JWD are indeed eerie. I doubt I've ever met anyone here in person, but this is the only place where people truly understand me. I've only told one person of my JW past since I faded and moved away. He had a glazed over look in his eyes and couldn't understand what I was talking about, so I just dropped it. I've developed some good friendships since, and none of them know about my JW past. They wouldn't understand even if I told them. Of course, I can't discuss my thoughts with active JWs for fear of being ratted out to the elders, although the fear of that is dying as time passes. Therefore, XJW forums are the only place where I can discuss my thoughts and be understood. It's really sad, but that's the way it goes.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Other people, such as yourself, can’t keep quiet about the things you’ve learned about the Watchtower, so the costs of leaving the religion and being labeled an apostate by the religion do not outweigh the peace of mind you get by exposing the religion at every chance.

Amen neverending! I've been called an apostate twice in the past 24 hours.... lolol

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    I've only told one person of my JW past since I faded and moved away. He had a glazed over look in his eyes and couldn't understand what I was talking about, so I just dropped it. I've developed some good friendships since, and none of them know about my JW past. They wouldn't understand even if I told them.

I was a hard core dubby for 35 years and it was all I knew since babyhood...

So as I've left and made new friends on the outside, my being an ex-witless inevitably comes up... I can't avoid explaining how I've learned spanish, or why I've lived much of my adult life in latin america, or why I only recently went through college, without telling people that I used to be part of a cult.

However, I've found that with few exceptions, people think its pretty cool that I've left the witnesses and am attempting to become a normal person, and they generally congratulate me on my decision. I haven't gotten a glazed over response yet...

And agreed, for me, the benefits of leaving JWs far outweigh the costs... although I was scared at the beginning, my life is infinitely better as an ex-JW... and I find it difficult to tolerate the presence of JWs with the closed-mindset... I'm much better off in the real world. And I don't close my mouth to 'anyone that asks for the reason' for my lack of JW faith....

A@G

• flipper
    flipper

DAWG- What a trippy experience - haning out with JW's who are doubting it themselves ! One thing you did that was good though ; like Steve Hassan says ( author of " Combatting Cult Mind Control" ) is that you gained their trust to some extent by NOT being overbearing and showing that we ex-witnesses are normal, can be lots of fun, and have a good time ! So essentially, I feel you layed a good groundwork to make them feel even more comfortable opening up to you about more witness stuff next time ! Then you can start giving them something to think about ; and they will feel more comfortable listening to you because you developed a rapport with them first. Just something to think about ! Good job bro ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dawg
    dawg

Thanks Flipper...

Sf, I took you the right way, I was just poking fun a bit... LOL!

Neverending.... I know what you mean about how people not understanding what it's like to be an ex JW, this place has helped.

Awakened at Gilead... 35 years huh? I was 28 when I figured it all out... only thing that made it hard was knowing how family might react.

• sspo
    sspo

I have not attended a meeting in 18 monts but some of my best friends in the organization just stay in

for the friendship and selfish reasons.

They know that the wachtower is full of crap but are not willing to give it up.

What does the bible say ? "A form of godly devotion"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit