A CLEAR definition of "higher education"

by easyreader1970 23 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Yesterday I went to the Saturday segment of the two day circuit assembly.

The brother giving the talk wanted to make sure that all in attendance understood clearly what the Watchtower's definition of "higher education" was. This is not verbatim, but this is as clear as I can remember it.

Higher education is going to college or university for four or more years, usually with the goal of achieving some prestigious position like doctor or lawyer.

So apparently that does not include going to a normal university for a two year degree or something similar. They mentioned the definition again later during the program. I am guessing that there has been lots of backlash from the rank-and-file, especially in today's economy. There is probably alot of disobedience too with people saying "screw that" and sending their kids to school anyway.

er

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes, well, it is perfectly reasonable that the Governing Body would discourage people from following the example of members of the Governing Body. I mean, Albert Schroeder was such an unconscionable cad for getting the Governing Body to encourage young Judah Ben to go to Columbia University for so long. I suppose young Judah Ben, at the impressionable age of . . . (what was it, 49 or so?) . . . well, anyway, he should have resisted the temptation to do what his father and the rest of the Governing Body wanted him to do.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/09/09/jehovahs-witnesses-are-still-ridiculous/

He probably only went because it was the popular thing to do.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Local congregations poo poo Associate degrees as well.

So a career is now "prestigious"?

• Mandette
    Mandette

It's just a load of BS that they are STILL down on education!! Especially in this economy when everyone needs all the help they can get to just live not to mention a retirement.

Thank God I didn't listen. I have over 100 credit hours in two different majors, a decent job AND a retirement!!!!!!!!!!!! And a part time job too that will be available to me when I retire. Hmmmm I was blessed in spite of the organization!!!!! Guess it's a good thing I was rebellious!!!!!

They promote these service jobs such as house cleaning and those are the first jobs to go in a shakey economy. Who's going to pay someone to clean house when they have to buy groceries instead????????????

Mandette

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder how many of the hounders are going to continue to go beyond what is said at the Great Boasting Session. They are self-righteous enough so they will continue enforcing a ban on all post-high school education or living on campus.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Higher education is going to college or university for four or more years, usually with the goal of achieving some prestigious position like doctor or lawyer.

Yes, that seems pretty clear....WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN DOCTORS OR LAWYERS....unless....we get really sick, or someone tries to sue us......um.....

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

They have been saying the exact same thing for decades now, nothing new at all .

They have an agenda in Brooklyn and that is to promote and sell their their literature, its been that way from

day 1 , why should an individual strive to educate and nourish ones intellect to benefit oneself and others when

we all know this system of things is about to come to an end anyways, would it not be better to spend time out in service

with are literature on something far more important like saving your own life and the lives of others ....think about it.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

why is wanting be become a doctor such a terrible thing.... Everyone living and breathing has probably needed a doctor at one time or another, and last I checked they did not have 2 yr MD programs availble.

• iloowy
    iloowy
    WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN DOCTORS OR LAWYERS....unless....we get really sick, or someone tries to sue us......um.....

Well, if you prevent the R&F from studying medicine and law
    there's less likelyhood that they'll sue the WT Society when
    they find out about the laughability of blood fractions and
    knowing how to run around the legal system to fight the
    Society's Legal Department.

--ILOOWY

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

You would think that with their problems in the medical field (issues relating to blood) that they'd be encouraging JWs to enter that profession! Why slam doctors and lawyers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit