Do economic worries make JWs joyful?

by undercover 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Most JWs that I know are pretty thrilled because:
    A) It's proof of the last of the last days
    B) Something to talk about at the doors
    C) It's not their investments going bad. Most of the devout dubs I know are so destitute that they think of buying the 24 pack of toilet paper as a "long-term investment".

By the way, I thought the attack on the World Trade Center was supposed to start the big A. Why didn't it?

B the X

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I bet what will make them "joy"ful will be when the Kingdumb Hells start getting packed again as inactive witlesses are afraid of the end's coming any minute now. What they won't say is that the crash of 1929 did not lead to the end--despite the witlesses proclaiming it then (and neither did World War II).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

"...and they will cast their gold upon the street..."

Who is the "they" here?

This is where the cult-controlled mind flips from the literal to the abstract. Are JW's anxious to see their neighbors, coworkers, non-believing relatives, etc. experience financial ruin? I doubt it. But I don't think JW's are thinking of these people when they quote this verse. In their minds, the "they" that will cast their gold upon the street is just some cloudy mass of faceless strangers.

And, memo to JW's, financial panic and economic ruin has happened to every civilization, to pre-1914 ones even!

• undercover
    undercover
    I bet what will make them "joy"ful will be when the Kingdumb Hells start getting packed again as inactive witlesses are afraid of the end's coming any minute now.

It's not just the Witnesses either. The local news just last night had a story about how the churches are experiencing a rise in attendance in just the last few weeks. They interviewed the preachers who said that people were putting their faith back in God. They seemed happy that their pews were filling back up. One preacher said it takes troubling times for people to remember God and that's why he allows these things to happen. All the while he had a big grin on his face. Dumb schmuck. One preacher went on about how God would provide and the people's faith in him wouldn't be for naught.

I had to bite my tongue during these insipid quotes because there were JW relatives in the room, but I wanted to say something like, "So God wants us to suffer so we'll go back to a church? What a loving and merciful God..." and, "So God's gonna come down with 800 billion dollars and bail out the banking system?" or, "so if I go to church, all my economic worries will be over?? Hell, let's go the meeting Sunday!"

The further along I get from being controlled by the JWs, the more I see the stupidity of religion...I was sitting there incredulous...a news agency is actually covering this stupidity as if it was real news...amazing.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I really think it is the WTS that should worry....they have their money in losing mutual funds and the price of real estate going down...this is the end for the WTS. Their Armageddon. The WTS Lawyers will reap what is left.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The JW sees these world events as meaning the end is near...because the Wt has told them that Mt 24 says that these events would happen. If the JW read the entire chapter of Mt 24 without WT blinders they would see the beginning verses say not to be deceived and describe world events….the WT chops this up and separates the do not be deceived part from the world events part. So the JW misses that it is saying not to be deceived and think the end is near just because of world events…these things will happen. Verse 30 says that immediately after the tribulation of these days…meaning these events then will appear the sign, the celestial phenomena and the end is around the corner…and the generation seeing that sign will not pass away till all things occur.

Acts 1:16-21

16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:
    17 ‘A ND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS ,’ God says,
    ‘T HAT I WILL POUR
    FORTH OF M Y S PIRIT ON ALL MANKIND ;
    A ND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY ,
    A ND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS ,
    A ND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS ;
    18 E VEN ON M Y BONDSLAVES , BOTH MEN AND WOMEN ,
    I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR
    FORTH OF M Y S PIRIT
    And they shall prophesy.
    19 ‘A ND I WILL GRANT WONDERS IN THE SKY ABOVE
    A ND SIGNS ON THE EARTH BELOW ,
    B LOOD , AND FIRE , AND VAPOR OF SMOKE .
    20 ‘T HE SUN WILL BE TURNED INTO DARKNESS
    A ND THE MOON INTO BLOOD ,
    B EFORE THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS DAY OF THE L ORD SHALL COME .
    21 ‘A ND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE L ORD WILL BE SAVED .’

This was speaking of the Holy Spirit being poured out in Pentecost 33…and that is called the last days. So the last days extends over a long period of time.....and the world will go on for a long time with ups and downs....the JW is trained to see anything good as a sign of a peace and security proclamation- the end is near...and anything bad as a Mt 24 fulfillment of the end being near.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Like Blondie, my neighbor from across the street told me about a jw that told her how the bad market means the big A is near. She told her that the world would finally be free of the infestation of Billions of unworthy scum.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

What the Jehovah's Witnesses fail to remember is the Scripture where Jesus said that the outbreak of the Great Tribulation would come as a thief in the night. Obviously, a thief in the night does not reveal warning signs that he is outside of the window about to break in. He comes in a manner which no one saw or even heard him coming. But, I suppose this fact is inconvenient to the JWs apocayptic anticipations.

What JWs also forget to bear in mind is that the Watchtower has repeatedly stated that the Great Tribulation will begin with the destruction of Babylon the Great; which is all of the world's religions. The Watchtower has stated bluntly and unambiguously that this attack on Babylon the Great would be "sudden", and "without warning".

Jehovah's Witnesses want desparately to believe that all of their sacrifices to the organization were not for nothing. They want to see something tangible which validates their lifetime of toil and allegiance to the Watchtower. They have paid their dues, now they want the "pay out".

They fail to remember that the Watchtower followers of the 1920s held the same expectations. As they looked around at the horrible depression of the 1930s, and then the outbreak of World War II, they were convinced that their "reward" was imminent. At that time in history, it seemed as if all of the evidence around them was obvious; right?

Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it. If there is any group that has been such tragic example of repeating the same mistakes of the past; it has been the Watchtower and it's followers. Just like the gambling addict who keeps pulling the lever of the slot machine; Watchtower Witnesses continue to cling to the expectation and anticipation that their worship will be rewarded with utopia.

• done4good
    done4good

Most dubs only want to see a full economic meltdown because most are destitute themselves. No sweat off their backs. This helps even the score. The envy is purely disgusting. Thank god I'm out.

j

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Apparently.

JW Tom came into the coffee place I work at today. I had met JW Tom a little bit back as I was walking on the road and he's my neighbor. Actually, the first time was when I had been boo-hooing on my cell phone, unfortunately pulled in his drive a bit, with my ex-- and he came up to my freakin Buick and asked if I was the Safeco Insurance guy. First of all, I'm not a guy, second, where's the Safeco logo, third, why would an agent be breaking up with their boyfriend in your driveway before they're set to meet you in a business capacity? Sharp, Tom, real sharp.

Anyways, so when I met him again while walking, basically, I got a bit of a creep vibe from him, he's married, I know his relatives (my other neighbors), he pretty much was eye-f*ing me. Pretty uncomfortable really.

Talked to him for awhile, told him I worked at the coffee place nearby..etc.

My boss told me he showed up like the day after which surprised me, I wasn't there. But I was there today..so I made sure to ask him specifically about how he felt about the current economic situation, pretty much suspecting this answer

"well, you know, it had to happen for the end of this system of things." maybe not exact, but pretty much. He seemed happy when I asked him if that was a good thing... I play so ignorant sometimes, I kill me!

My neighbor JW Tom thinks it portends fortuitous circumstances.

I told him to bring me the literature. Let's have it, I'm in a feisty mood.

After he left, I was able to talk to the girl who was in the shop about the blood policy (specifically I had just read Balsam's story about her son :( it upset me pretty bad) and about the fact they know nothing about their religion preeeety much, about the child molestation horrors.

She was like I was wondering what in the world he was talking about when you asked about the economy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit