Do economic worries make JWs joyful?

by undercover 19 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

With the US economy tanking and on the verge of a major collapse if the right steps aren't taken, the average person is probably a little concerned. I haven't seen anything like a panic yet, but it has been a source of discussion with collegues and neighbors.

To be honest, I'm a bit worried. I'm not a financial or economic wizard or anything...I'm just your average guy trying to make ends meet and it looks like things aren't going to be so rosy for me in the next few years. Despite that, life goes on, but you worry some and wonder just what's gonna happen.

I was watching a recap of Bush's speech last night where he said that the "economy is in danger" and a JW relative of mine said with almost a glee in his voice, paraphrasing a scripture, "...and they will cast their gold upon the street..." as if to say, see? this was foretold. We are closer. Raise yourselves erect as you see your deliverance is getting near.

I should have expected a response like that from a cult-controlled mind, but seriously, how can you be so flip about the possiblity of a complete economic disaster that hasn't been expereinced since the depression?

Has anyone else seen such nonchalant attitudes from JWs regarding the current economy?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I spoke with some that felt is was a sign that Armageddon was not far off. Unreal.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I am sure some of them are 'joyful' but I think only the stupidest among them feel this way. They have no way of knowing how much worse things could get or how long it could go on. Therefore, they have no way of knowing how much they could suffer.

Not only that, if things get really bad then there will be NO contributions whatsoever. I am sure the religion wouldn't be happy about that.

LHG

• james_woods
    james_woods

I remember the Kennedy assasination, (I was about 14), and I don't recall many witnesses reacting with joy.

What I did see was a murmer that "the end is near" (which could have also applied to the last earthquake in Japan, or a fruit crop freeze in Florida, or a new African dictator waving his AK-47 around).

It peaked when Oswald was shot, and then died out within the week. Got to get on with selling these magazines, you know.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

My wife's aunt has already pulled the ezekiel scripture out about throwing money in the street.

One thing about a lot of the scriptures that seem tro predict ecconomic collapse, it is basically facts of any commerce. The scripture about a quart of wheat for a denarius and do not touch the olive oil or the wine, Is a facet of any ecconomic system. As the seasons change and new processes take shape, there is bound to be a change in what a certain monetary system will be able to buy.

• Mary
    Mary
    how can you be so flip about the possiblity of a complete economic disaster that hasn't been expereinced since the depression?

Because to the average Dub, a complete economic disaster falls under the category of "critical times hard to deal with" and of course, would fulfill (in their minds) Ezekiel 7:19 that says: "...Into the streets they will throw their very silver, and an abhorrent thing their own gold will become. Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to deliver them in the day of Jehovah’s fury..."

Proof that we're in the last days of the Last Daze...........

• asilentone
    asilentone

Mary, whats so funny about making a face like that?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I guess the financial experts that run the WTS. are wondering shit all those millions in mutual funds and stocks we have could be worthless

Better start praying for a healthy economy right away or maybe Armageddon either will do I suppose.

• blondie
    blondie

I commented elsewhere on JWD that after an encounter with some jws I know that they were so happy about the economic disaster (and other disasters) saying it meant the end was near, their release from their personal troubles. I asked if they were hoping for the deaths of millions of men, women and children who have not even heard the message of the Kingdom? Were they putting their personal lives ahead of the lives of these people? Their smiles left their faces and the reluctantly said they weren't wishing for the deaths of these people.

Blondie

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

Of course they're joyful! I used to love it when lots of really nasty things happened. It gave me something fresh to say at the door.

I really like this happy guy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit