My family wants me to see a Psychiatrist

by BonaFide 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

So I have posted on here about my conversations with my family. I toned it down a little when they got really upset, so many on this board told me to be careful.

But yesterday my sister called me. She said she has been thinking for months that I have changed, so something is wrong with me. She said she is worried because I was recently upset that a child molester was in the congregation, and I also said that we have been saying for decades that the end is any day now, and the change in the 1914 doctrine. I have posted on here several of my conversations with family and friends.

So now she wants me to see a psychiatrist and get medication. She was so upset, but also trying to hide her anger and frustration. She said "Everyone says that something is wrong with you." I said, "Who is everyone?" She said, "Well, I don't want to give names, but look at the way you are acting." I tried to get her to be specific, She finally said, "It's not what you do, its what you say, you say bizarre things, so you must be sick. Even though you act happy, I know you are not. Like you say that we are not in the last days. You were never like this before. Please, I am begging you, go to the doctor. I will take you."

Its hard to describe, but she seems to be trying to punish me somehow, she insinuates that my friends will leave me if I keep talking like this, and that I am unhappy. She says I am obsessed with the mistakes in the Organization, even though it is her that brings them up when we talk, I never do anymore. After that one day that I showed them the Bible Stories book and the picture of Abraham with the knife over Isaac, and I described it as a human sacrifice, they have been so angry with me for using those words.

I love my family, but wow, I can feel their frustration. I go over their house to drop something off, and they say, "Ummm, did you need something?" No hug like we always did every single week when I saw them. Its so weird to see them act like this.

I just smile and try not to reason with them, but its like they want me to "submit" somehow to the Organization like I did for so many years. Its almost like they are threatening me with losing my friends or even my mind, if I say anything at all that the Organization might make a mistake.

BF

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

what you could do is go see the Psychiatrist, and then come back and tell her that the Psychiatrist says that the JW belief system is destructive to the mind and that it has caused you great harm.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

be careful though, and not let her pick the psychiatrist, I am sure she would find a JW friendly one.

• avishai
    avishai

Ironic, since the dubs actively discourage psychiatry

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

My first thought was for you to ask her to accompany you.

Then I read this: "Please, I am begging you, go to the doctor. I will take you."

Take her up on the offer. She won't like what the psychiatrist says, but maybe she will learn something.

-Aude.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I went to a psychiatrist about a year and a half ago....

He told me that my problem was not me, but rather my religion was the issue...

Took me a year to realize that he was right!

So maybe you should go, but not to a JW shrink, lol.... although they are the ones that need shrinks... you are perfectly normal... of course the problem could be virginity too... I would work on that ASAP!

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

Drugs can lessen the cognitive dissonance a dub feels from all the doublespeak and disappointments. This is good for the Borg. They used to discourage psychiatry till they realized that most psychiatrists are just drug pushers. Lots of people I knew in the hall were on some sort of mood altering substance. What they don't want you to do is to talk about any issues. They just want you on drugs.

From plot summary of the movie THX 1138: "In the underground city, society controls all life, all citizens are drugged to control their emotions and their behavior and sex is a crime." Excellent movie to watch post-dub.

• yknot
    yknot

*** w969/1p.31QuestionsFromReaders***

Even with a trained, qualified mental-health professional, there are things to consider. When choosing a medical doctor or surgeon, we have to be sure that he will respect our Bible-based views. Similarly, it would be dangerous to consult a mental-health professional who does not respect our religious and moral views. Many Christians are striving hard, despite mental and emotional confusion, to have "the same mental attitude that Christ Jesus had." (Romans 15:5) Such are rightly concerned about the attitudes of anyone who might affect their thinking or behavior. Some practitioners view any restrictions imposed by Scriptural beliefs as unnecessary and potentially harmful to mental health. They may approve, even recommend, practices condemned in the Bible, such as homosexuality or marital infidelity.

These ideas are included in what the apostle Paul called "the contradictions of the falsely called ‘knowledge.’" (1 Timothy 6:20) They contradict the truth about the Christ and are part of "the philosophy and empty deception" of this world. (Colossians 2:8) The Bible’s touchstone is clear: "There is no wisdom, nor any discernment, nor any counsel in opposition to Jehovah." (Proverbs 21:30) Mental-health practitioners who say "good is bad and bad is good" are "bad associations." Far from helping to heal unstable minds, they will "spoil useful habits."—Isaiah 5:20; 1 Corinthians 15:33.

So a Christian who feels that it is necessary to consult a mental-health professional should scrutinize the qualifications, attitude, and reputation of the practitioner and the possible effect of any treatment recommended. If a distressed Christian cannot do this himself, perhaps a mature, close friend or relative may be able to help. A Christian who is uncertain as to the wisdom of a particular treatment may find that talking with the elders in the congregation is helpful—although the final decision is his own (or his parents’, or the joint decision of husband and wife).

Science can do much more today than in times past to alleviate suffering. Still, there are many diseases—both physical and mental—that at present are incurable and have to be endured through this system of things. (James 5:11) In the meantime "the faithful and discreet slave," the elders, and all others in the congregation reach out a hand of compassion and support to sick ones. And Jehovah himself strengthens them to endure until that glorious time when sickness will be no more.—Matthew 24:45; Psalm 41:1-3; Isaiah 33:24.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Slippery slope here BF.

I wouldn't go.

Maybe you should claim 'running ahead'...... that tends to give you leeway for angst but demands you keep silent on the subject.

Making your own way is not easy in tight-knit families.....

If they don't hug you ..... then you hug them.

If you don't have a degree in your occupational field yet....this is an excellent time to get your BS!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    She said she is worried because I was recently upset that a child molester was in the congregation,
    So now she wants me to see a psychiatrist and get medication.

So, let me get this straight. You need to see a psychiatrist and get medication because you don't like child molesters? Or being misled about religion?

Throughout JW history they have criticized and pointed out errors in other religions, governments, business, the media, science, education, entertainment, and just about everything under the sun, but as soon as you point out their errors you need a shrink and medication. I challenge any JW to show me a Watchtower magazine study article that doesn't criticize something about "this old world". They sure can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Maybe your sister should follow her own advice.

W

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow, Dear Bonafide.

I think the wise posters on this thread have already given you great advice... take her up on her offer. This is an awesome opportunity to let HER do what she thinks you needed, and for YOU to get some support and validation you need.

In the meantime, my thoughts are with you. Nobody said awakening out of the matrix was going to be easy.

Hang in there and be GOOD to yourself.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit