Euthanasia?

by MegaDude 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think that a person should have choices -

sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    This is a can of worms that has a history of abuse just look up euthanasia on the web

You can look it up, but in a society where it is deemed an offense, you aren't going to hear from the families for whom choice did work. You will only hear he negative and that's something that has to be considered. sammieswife.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

It shouldnt be legal. You can not trust the government with something like that.

If you are sick you need to take yourself out if thats what you want to do before you get to sick to do anything about it.

Once your too sick to do anything about it, it doesnt really matter, your just a vegetable.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

It shouldnt be legal. You can not trust the government with something like that.

If you are sick you need to take yourself out if thats what you want to do before you get to sick to do anything about it.

Once your too sick to do anything about it, it doesnt really matter, your just a vegetable.

It sucks that we get old and die. But I dont trust the government being involved in euthanasia one bit.

Theres a lot of ways to take yourself out. A simple way is a garden hose to your exhaust pipe. No Blood no mess, no pain.

Hangings pretty efficient also, you only need a door nob and a will to die.

The hemlock society may be able to give you some more ideas.

How about a bottle of jack daniels and a plastic baggie?

Why get the politicians involved?

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

First off, you have to determine what type of euthanasia you are refering to. Is it only passive or is it active? Is it voluntary or is it non-voluntary? When one speaks of euthanasia, one must deliniate what they are arguing for or against.

Personally, I feel comforatble with active and passive voluntary euthanasia. I too feel that a person should have the right to decide when and how they are going to check out when faced with a painfull terminal illness or when my quality of life will be so bad that I no longer wish to continue. I figure that when there are some safeguards built in, a person should have that choice. It goes to the very foundation of personal freedom. After all, a person is exercising choice and no one's rights are being violated. Better it be a chosen death in a sterile hospital setting or at home with your loved ones than in the living room or by the side of the road with a .45 in your mouth.

I did my first psych paper on euthanasia. I got a good portion of my information from The Hemlock Society. The organization believes in dignified death. They have it all worked out and will be glad to discuss it with you. http://www.compassionandchoices.org/hemlock/

The hemlock society is the preeminent advocacy group for right to die issues. However, there are some who are members who seek to expand the definitions of "terminal illness".

In fact, at the 1986 convention of the Hemlock Society, Dutch physician Pieter Admiraal boasted that he had recently broadened the meaning of "terminal illness" in his country by giving a lethal injection to a young quadrapalegic woman -- a Dutch court found that he acted within judicial guidelines allowing euthanasia for the terminally ill, because paralyzed patients have difficulty swallowing and and could die from aspirating their food at any time.

My point is that while I endorse euthanasia in the limited situations I sepcified, safeguards are of utmost importance to keep from descending a slippery slope we don't want to travel.

PS- we just discussed this topic in my ethics class...

• avishai
    avishai

>>>Once your too sick to do anything about it, it doesnt really matter, your just a vegetable.>>>>
    Bullshit. Ever see johnny got his gun? Ever been in a quadriplegic ward?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

First off, you have to determine what type of euthanasia you are refering to. Is it only passive or is it active? Is it voluntary or is it non-voluntary? When one speaks of euthanasia, one must deliniate what they are arguing for or against.

You are right. I believe that a person in circumstances where they are ill, should be able to determine and control their own treatment. I am against involuntary euthansia. sammieswife

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Ever been in a quadriplegic ward?

They can bite there toung off and bleed to death.

The Government gets an inch they take a mile.

I still wouldnt give them the power for the quadriplegics.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I am also for forcibly adminstered anti-paranoia drugs for some people.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I am Pro-Choice, provided anyone making an Advanced Directive would receive both pro & con counseling. If they were unconscious without a Living Will, the family should be counseled about this huge responsibility.

Hey, adult JW's already practice legal euthanasia. I've had some life experience in this...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit