Sweet Poison? My experience quitting Nutrasweet

by cabasilas 19 Replies latest social current

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

First of all, glad you are feeling better! Is it possible you have Phenylketonuria? That is the only condition which is proven scientifically to cause people problems with aspartame (Nutrasweet, etc). This is because aspartame contains Phenylalanine -- an amino acid found naturally in some foods.

There are tons of anti-aspartame web sites full of bad information that has no scientific backing. There are lots of anecdotes, like your own, where someone feels better after they stop consuming it. However, we can't know for sure what made you feel better. Maybe it's because you stopped drinking soda as much. Who knows. That's why scientific studies are needed to determine the true detriments to things like aspartame. And so far...nothing...except the phenylalanine thing, but they knew that from the beginning.

I also drink a lot of diet soda. I tried switching to something else to experiment with getting off caffeine and aspartame. I personally noticed no difference.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I love unsweetened ice tea. I drink that quite often. I really can't stand sweet drinks, which is why I drink diet when it comes to soda. It tastes less sweet to me when compared to regular...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

They're all bitter to me, SweetnLow is the worst and Splenda is the least offensive. Equal gives me a headache. I can and do drink diet soda, no bitterness there. And I use a Splenda/Sugar blend with my coffee.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Some diet sodas use splenda now. Diet Coke in the yellowish can uses splenda, for one...

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

As far as aches and pains, I find the way not to have aches and pains is to go to the gym every day for an hour. Use it or loose it.

If you want to loose weight count calories thats what it all boils down to.

Agreed. And that's what I intend to do now.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas
    First of all, glad you are feeling better! Is it possible you have Phenylketonuria? That is the only condition which is proven scientifically to cause people problems with aspartame (Nutrasweet, etc). This is because aspartame contains Phenylalanine -- an amino acid found naturally in some foods.

There are tons of anti-aspartame web sites full of bad information that has no scientific backing. There are lots of anecdotes, like your own, where someone feels better after they stop consuming it. However, we can't know for sure what made you feel better. Maybe it's because you stopped drinking soda as much. Who knows. That's why scientific studies are needed to determine the true detriments to things like aspartame. And so far...nothing...except the phenylalanine thing, but they knew that from the beginning.

I also drink a lot of diet soda. I tried switching to something else to experiment with getting off caffeine and aspartame. I personally noticed no difference.

I checked up on Phenylketonuria and I can't see how I'd be a candidate for that. I can't explain what's happened either. I have drinken a couple of sodas during this time (but not diet) so I don't think it's because I cut out soda. Also, there have been times in the past where I gave up sodas and drank diet brands of tea instead and that did not change how I felt. The only real change in my life has been giving up artificial sweeteners. Eveyone is different, so I would not presume to say that Nutrasweet is poison. That's why I'm leaning towards some sort of allergic reaction. I really was drinking a ton of diet drinks and also some food items with nutrasweet in it.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Cabasilas, I have been reading about artificial sweeteners for years. Nothing good in any of them that I can see. I used to be a big soda drinker, regular. About 10 years ago, I decided I wanted to be more healthful and started drinking water instead. Now I have a soda about once a month (I love a root beer float!). Personally I figure I'll save my sugar calories for desserts. None of those other drinks actually quench your body's thirst anyway, they just become habit. Take a look at a couple of books, "Your body's many cries for water", and "Excitotoxins". Interesting stuff.

By the way, I had held on to a lot of weigh after I had my daughter, and at the time I am speaking about I lost about 50 lbs. I've kept it off. The exercise is a huge part of it. It does amazing things for your emotional well being also. Weight lifting is fantastic.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    have drunk more than a healthy share of pop, cola, soda, etc., both "naturally" sweetened with high fructose corn syrup and artificially sweetened with aspartame and Splenda. It's impractical for me to completely cut it out of my diet, but I have attempted to cut back as much as possible.

At home I make lightly sweetened iced tea using pure cane sugar. At work, I drink filtered water and diet 7-UP along with the occasional Malta India.

I think the next step is to try Stevia in place of sugar in my tea and coffee at home. Anyone use Stevia?

Dave

We avoid all artificial sweeteners like Splenda and aspartame like the plague. Ditto high fructose corn syrup. You can't avoid it all but we make a really great attempt. There's just too much data now that is showng the relationship between all that stuff and the obesity/diabetes increase in humans.

I drink my tea and coffee black or if anything a little lemon in my tea. I do drink soda sometimes but only buy soda made with sugar - don't drink it enough to worry about the calories. We drink water that's been filtered as well.

Hubby can't drink his coffee without sweetener and he's been using Blue Agave - a natural sweetener that he loves. I tried Stevia a few times years ago but didn't like the taste of it - I will use real sugar instead when I have cereal or anything that needs sugar.

If you get a chance you might try the Blue Agave - it seems to be in a number of stores and I know it's sold in Winco and Trader Joes. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

This is an article by a doctor for women..it might provide some insight. In reality, high fructose corn syrup is a chemical, its produced in a chemical plant. Splenda is primarily made of chlorine. I just would avoid it in mass quantities if I could...sammieswife.

Splenda — the public health experiment

“Low–sugar” is the successor to the “low–carb” craze, even though they are essentially the same thing. According to the New York Times, by the end of this summer 11% of the food items on supermarket shelves will be labeled “reduced sugar” — most of those targeted at kids and their health-conscious moms. Sales in granulated sugar have dropped four percent in the past six months. What’s behind this trend? Splenda.

Products featuring Splenda are perceived as “natural” because even the FDA’s press release about sucralose parrots the claim that “it is made from sugar” — an assertion disputed by the Sugar Association, which is suing Splenda’s manufacturer, (McNeil Nutritionals).

The FDA has no definition for “natural,” so please bear with us for a biochemistry moment: Splenda is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation. It is true that the Splenda molecule is comprised of sucrose (sugar) — except that three of the hydroxyl groups in the molecule have been replaced by three chlorine atoms. (To get a better picture of what this looks like, see this image of a sucralose molecule.)

While some industry experts claim the molecule is similar to table salt or sugar, other independent researchers say it has more in common with pesticides. That’s because the bonds holding the carbon and chlorine atoms together are more characteristic of a chlorocarbon than a salt — and most pesticides are chlorocarbons. The premise offered next is that just because something contains chlorine doesn’t guarantee that it’s toxic. And that is also true, but you and your family may prefer not to serve as test subjects for the latest post-market artificial sweetener experiment — however “unique.” (See our article on endocrine disruptors for more information on toxins and persistent organic pollutants.)

Once it gets to the gut, sucralose goes largely unrecognized in the body as food — that’s why it has no calories. The majority of people don’t absorb a significant amount of Splenda in their small intestine — about 15% by some accounts. The irony is that your body tries to clear unrecognizable substances by digesting them, so it’s not unlikely that the healthier your gastrointestinal system is, the more you’ll absorb the chlorinated molecules of Splenda.

So, is Splenda safe? The truth is we just don’t know yet. There are no long-term studies of the side effects of Splenda in humans. The manufacturer’s own short-term studies showed that sucralose caused shrunken thymus glands and enlarged livers and kidneys in rodents. But in this case, the FDA decided that because these studies weren’t based on human test animals, they were not conclusive. Of course, there are countless examples of foods and drugs that have proved dangerous to humans that were first found to be dangerous to laboratory rats, and then again, countless others that have not. So the reality is that we are the guinea pigs for Splenda.

And now, are our children the next trial group? Thanks to an agreement between McNeil Nutritionals (makers of Splenda) and PTO Today, which provides marketing and fund-raising aid to parents’ associations, your elementary school’s next bake sale may be sponsored by Splenda — complete with baked goods made with the product.

Splenda side effects

Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain. These show up at one end of the spectrum — in the people who have an allergy or sensitivity to the sucralose molecule. But no one can say to what degree consuming Splenda affects the rest of us.

If this sounds familiar, it should: we went down the same path with aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet. Almost all of the independent research into aspartame found dangerous side effects in rodents. The FDA chose not to take these findings into account when it approved aspartame for public use. Over the course of 15 years, those same side effects increasingly appeared in humans. Not in everyone, of course — but in those who were vulnerable to the chemical structure of aspartame.

As food additives, artificial sweeteners are not subject to the same gauntlet of FDA safety trials as pharmaceuticals. Most of the testing is funded by the food industry, which has a vested interest in the outcome. This can lead to misleading claims on both sides.

But one thing is certain: some of the chemicals that comprise artificial sweeteners are known hazards — the degree to which you experience side effects just depends on your individual biochemistry. Manufacturers are banking on the fact that our bodies won’t absorb very much of these compounds at any one time. And many of us don’t. But what happens when we are ingesting a combination of artificial sweeteners like Splenda dozens of times a week through many different “low–sugar” or “sugar–free” products?

People have been using artificial sweeteners for decades. Some react poorly, some don’t — the problem is, you never know until you’re already sick. Scientists are calling Splenda a mild mutagen, based on how much is absorbed. Right now, it’s anyone’s guess what portion of the population is being exposed to the dangers of Splenda or already suffering from Splenda side effects. Until an independent, unbiased research group conducts long-term studies on humans (six months is hardly long-term!), how can we be certain? With all the new Splenda products on our shelves, it looks as if we are now in the process of another grand public experiment — without our permission. And we may not know the health implications for decades. As with all things, time will unveil truth.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Weird, because aspartame is an anti-inflammatory.

If you drink as much Diet Coke as I do, it's the caffeine that is likely to cause health problems. One diet coke (12 oz) has 45 mg of caffeine, so before I finish my second 44 oz, I've already had way more caffeine than anyone really should in a day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit