Sweet Poison? My experience quitting Nutrasweet

by cabasilas 19 Replies latest social current

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

My doctor has been ragging on me to lose weight for quite awhile. The last visit I was in he also railed against Nutrasweet. He gave me one of those mass mailing testimonies about Nutrasweet which called it "Sweet Poison." He said that besides some potential health issues, that Nutrasweet (and other artificial sweeteners) actually cause food cravings as it confuses the sugar responses in the body, especially for diabetics -- which I am.

I thought his advice on my weight "spot on" (it's rather obvious I need to lose weight!), but I doubted his advice on artificial sweeteners. I've relied on them for over 20 years and I am a serious diet soda addict. How could I get by without them? So, I ignored his advice.

About two weeks ago I came across the anti-Nutrasweet testimony my doctor had given me as I sorted papers and the symptoms the person described sounded just like me. When I allowed my hypochondria to surface, I felt I was getting MS. My muscles and joints felt extremely weak all the time. It was a chore to even stand for a long period of time at work, so I would usually sit whenever I could. To be honest, even walking was a painful activity. I just figured that was part of my getting old...and besides I am fat. I never talked to my doctor about this because I figured he'd just chew me out again about my weight and I didn't want to start a battery of tests to rule out some exotic disease and I'd end up with a huge medical bill.

The next day, however, I decided to try not eating any artificial sweeteners. I happened to be on jury duty that day and I even had a regular soda for the caffeine (it's not good to nod off during jury duty!). I drank unsweetened ice tea and more water than I normally would drink. I was surprised I could make it past a couple of days without Nutrasweet, but I did. By the third day, I noticed my aches and pains were a lot less. By five days, the improvement was dramatic. I've still got some aches and pains, but I'm about 80 per cent improved from what I was just two weeks ago. And, I've also noticed that my thinking is clearer. Perhaps that's a by product of less pain? I don't know.

I've done a lot of searches on the Internet about this over the past few days and I don't know if I can prove scientifically that Nutrasweet is the "sweet poison" some people say it is. There are plenty of anti-Nutrasweet sites and there are also other sites that attempt to debunk its critics. Maybe I have some sort of allergy to Nutrasweet? I don't know.

What I do know is that I feel DRAMATICALLY better since I stopped ingesting food or drinks with Nutrasweet. My muscle aches and weakness are just a fraction of what they were before. I know I can never go back to artificial sweeteners. I'm hoping that in a few days to try to start dieting without the aid of artificial sweeteners.

I was wondering: has anyone else here had a similar experience?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I don't drink diet drinks because I don't like the taste. I don't want to develop the taste for them because it scares me a little. Thanks for posting this though because I find it really interesting. I have long wondered if some of my mom's problems could be because of this. Renee

• zeroday
    zeroday

Have you tried Splenda...I love it...

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I haven't tried Splenda. But, to be honest, I'd be scared to after my experience with Nutrasweet.

• zeroday
    zeroday

I can understand but Splenda is an all natural produce actually made from sugar and tastes great...being a diabetic I have found this to be the best sugar substitute out there...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think for a lot of people the human condition is to feel misserable.

It's nice if you can blame your misery on something, kind of like a scape goat.

I use sweetners sometime nutrasweet because I'd rather be just misserable, than fat and misserable.

As far as aches and pains, I find the way not to have aches and pains is to go to the gym every day for an hour. Use it or loose it.

I'm 55 and the few periods in my life when I didnt go to the gym, I could really feal my aches and pains.

If you want to loose weight count calories thats what it all boils down to.

Black coffe is as good as sweet coffe. It all depends on your state of mind.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I quit drinking Aspartame. My acid reflux immediately improved. I had no idea Aspartame was contributing to the problem. I know dozens of people that love diet drinks, and the chemicals don't seem to affect them. However, according to a vocal group of doctors and patients, Aspartame can cause some people serious problems.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-566922170441334340

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Artificial sweeteners taste awful to me. Give me real sugar any day.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I have drunk more than a healthy share of pop, cola, soda, etc., both "naturally" sweetened with high fructose corn syrup and artificially sweetened with aspartame and Splenda. It's impractical for me to completely cut it out of my diet, but I have attempted to cut back as much as possible.

At home I make lightly sweetened iced tea using pure cane sugar. At work, I drink filtered water and diet 7-UP along with the occasional Malta India.

I think the next step is to try Stevia in place of sugar in my tea and coffee at home. Anyone use Stevia?

Dave

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I converted to unsweetened tea. After about two months, I actually started liking it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit