Breaking Through Cognitive Dissonance?

by indireneed 23 Replies latest jw friends

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    NYT,

Will you be taking your latest edition of Maxim magazine with you on the bible study?

my next bible study would consist of bible material..
    maxim does not contain scriptural aid.

i knew homosexuality was a mental illness but i did
    not know lame humor and weak attacks were the result

• LDH1
    LDH1

NYT says:

please contact me
    For someone who is afraid to share his real identity or even unlock his email, it makes me laugh to see this sham of an invitation to 'drink life's water free.'

Loser.

Anyhow, indireneed, why don't you try using some of their own articles against them? Mainly the ones encouraging women to 'stand by their man' and further directing them that the 'man is the head of the house.'

I'm sure if you posted your questions in the research forum, many would be glad to help you find quotes from some magazine articles or books.

Lisa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

are you still obsessed with my email ldh.

please justify....come on now..you can do it

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hello Indireneed,

Here's my take on this: if your wife was dissatisfied with her religion, you could help her break free. If she's happy being a Dub, then you are trying to change her.

You cannot change people without their consent and/or cooperation. It's like the saying, "You can't teach a fish to sing. It's a waste of your time and it annoys the fish."

You need to begin thinking about what YOU will do. YOU, personally. What changes are you willing to make to acheive the happiness that you seek and deserve?

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Hi Indireneed,

I feel your pain, my hubby was baptized in Dec of 99. It did throw a wrench into the works for sure.

I remember the disputes over the holiday season, my favorite time of the year, and they took all the fun and joy of the season away. I've only recently started to reclaim some of it.

I agree with Nates assessment, you can't change her, in fact any perception on her part that you are trying to will probably push her further into the Org. Persecution and all that rot.

What you can work on is you, figure out what you are willing to accept, where you will draw your battle lines, etc. I at one point almost lost "me" in trying to maintain family harmony, but making oneself "transparent" so as to avoid conflict isn't healthy for oneself or for the relationship.

One upside, is that you two don't have kids. I strongly recommend, and I think you have already considered this, is to make sure (well, as humanly possible) that you don't bring any into this world without a resolution to your marital dicord.

Best wishes,
    Michelle

PS. BTW, her current honeymoon phase with the Org may possibly pass quickly. A year after his baptism, my hubby had read CoC and started his fade from the Org... who knows where your relationship will be a year from now.

The most deadly of all sins is the mutilation of a child's spirit. -Erik H. Erikson

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

To the extent that the beliefs of JWs are based on the Bible being the word of God, then to that extent should one be able to shake their faith by pointing out obvious Bible errors.

Most of the members of this forum haven't spent any time over at Bible Research, where those of us who are interested in the origin of the Bible and its apparent errors, contradictions, and inconsistencies spend time arguing such matters. More than enough information needed to inflict cognitive dissonance will be found in that forum.

In addition, dozens of articles relating to errancy are found at the web site in the signature line below. One of my favorite is the one which clearly shows that the editors of the Genesis stories collected two conflicting flood stories from two different traditions, and to make it seem that there was just one story being told, the editors wove together the two stories, taking a paragraph or two from one, then from the other, an so on. If one looks closely, one can see the joints; if the process is reversed, there results two complete--but different--flood stories.

The explanation of how to unravel the two stories is found at

* http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Two_Flood_Stories.htm

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

I wish you well in dealing with this organisation. It is not true Christianity, it preaches a false gospel.

Did you know that God's grace is free and cannot be earned?
    All that is required is for you to believe in the sacrifice of our Lord at the cross, ask forgiveness and repent of your past life of sin! Pick up your cross and follow Christ.

God loves you. John 3.16,
    You are a sinner. Romans 3.23,
    You are now dead in sin. Romans 6.23,
    Saved by grace through faith Eph. 2.8,9
    Christ died for you. Romans 5.6-8,
    You can be saved by faith alone. Acts 16.30-31,
    You can know you are saved. 1 John 5.10-13, Rom. 8.29-35
    You can be obedient Acts 5.29

Read these with an open mind and open heart that God may bring salvation to your soul!
    Rex

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Did you know that there is no such thing as being "saved," and that the concept of original sin is based on a fairy tale, and that nobody ever died on a cross for me, or you?

If there were such a thing as being "saved," what do you think happens to people who are saved? Where do they go, what goes on there, and who told you so?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

indireneed:

You've gotten some good advice. I too am married to a true-believing dub. I've been all over the emotional scale, and I must say I feel for you. The consensus of the advice and research I've done over the past few years seems to be the innocent questioning routine. Confrontation definitely won't work and will only bring up a wall between the two of you.

Someone else also suggested you concentrate on yourself. I think that's extremely important. As Nathan said, you really can't change anyone without their consent.

If it's of any help, after several years, I've finally reached a kind of peace about my wife's involvement. It takes too much energy worrying about what she believes in. Religion basically is just an opinion and as the saying goes their like a-holes, we all have one, and quite often they stink.

I don't really speak to her about religion any more, but at some time in the future, if I have the gumption and the energy, I may try innocently introducing some questions to shake her out of her cognitive dissonance. Frankly, if we didn't have a child together, I'd probably just throw the towel in and go about my life without her. Michelle was spot on about not bringing any children into the picture.

Best of luck,

CPiolo

Michelle, howdy. How ya doing? I've been extremely busy at work and this is the first time I've visited the board in weeks. May things continue to improve for you.

• teejay
    teejay

Hello, indireneed.

Actually, I think my buddy SixofNine had a major stroke of genius when he said, "Start reading and studying the Bible seriously." That's if you can stomach it. I suggest you employ your wife's favorite elder in the endeavor.

That's right. Have your own personal bible study with one of Jehovah's Witnesses. The trick is, have your wife sit in. As the 'study' progresses, (with our help... ) you will be able to subtly bring up questions that highlight the many conflicts that the JW theology has with reality and it's own murky history. Be careful not to be too argumentative, only questioning, in your approach.

Your wife will begin to question her newfound belief, and perhaps before you know it, apostasy or disfellowshipping (hers) will soon follow.

Your real life together can then begin.

The alternative to this scenario is not very pretty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit