Elections Have Consequences

by SixofNine 30 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah....There's tons of significantly larger genocides that the US never helped with. Occasionally, the US has helped the side perpetuating the genocide.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Funny how cost and interfering with Iraq's sovereignty didn't matter.

The geopolitical calculus changed drastically after 9/11. The US already had a heavy military involvement in Iraq after Gulf War I, and there was the perception that American interests were threatened by the status quo. By comparison, and for the same reasons, Rwanda hardly was on the radar.

BTS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    This is not a lot of time to organize a large military intervention.

They didn't need a large military intervention. They only needed to scramble or interfere with the radio station spurring the normally peaceful citizens on to such murderous deeds.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    They didn't need a large military intervention. They only needed to scramble or interfere with the radio station spurring the normally peaceful citizens on to such murderous deeds.

That sounds pretty ingenious to me. Scrambling transmissions is cheap and easy. Did this occur to anyone at the time? Hindsight is 20/20

BTS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That sounds pretty ingenious to me. Scrambling transmissions is cheap and easy. Did this occur to anyone at the time? Hindsight is 20/20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_T%C3%A9l%C3%A9vision_Libre_des_Mille_Collines You can find other sources.
    As the genocide was taking place, the United States military drafted a plan to jam RTLM's broadcasts, but this action was never taken because of the cost of the operation and the legal implications of interfering with Rwanda's sovereignty. [citation needed]

It was known at the time, by the US and other countries that jamming the signals would stop the radio broadcasts. This is not a matter of hindsight. It's a matter of the UN, the US, UK, France and others valuing Rwandan human lives enough to intervene.

• dawg
    dawg

"That sounds pretty ingenious to me. Scrambling transmissions is cheap and easy. Did this occur to anyone at the time? Hindsight is 20/20"

Yea, everyone that was looking for ways to defend life not destroy it... I'd find you as laughable as a comedy, if only human lives weren't at stake and my money and future weren't involved.

I can't understand why you think you're smart Burns, everything you support is crumbling down around your feet, and yet you still aren't humbled. Iraq was wrong, the economy under the Republicans is wrong, energy policy is wrong, environment has went to hell, and are you humbled that you supported government that created this mess? No, here you are wanting more of the same... God!

All of you on the right speak of the class warfare of the left, all the while giving away millions of breaks to the wealthy in hopes their golden shower of piss might somehow fall upon us in the middle....it works the other way around Burns... and yet after all these policies fail, you call for more... I laugh the hardest when you on the right say I'm insane... LOL!!!!

All that's happened and yet you on the right still don't get it, but its we that have called for something that has shown to work (remember Clinton) that's insane... LOL!!!! Fools!

• jaguarbass
  • cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    So you're accusing the US military of killing and maiming thousands of children?? WOW, you'd think they would put that on the news or something.......come on FHN, be real.

Photos Show Rape of Iraqi Women
    by US Occupation Forces

http://www.aztlan.net/iraqi_women_raped.htm

Torture at Abu Ghraib

American soldiers brutalized Iraqis. How far up does the responsibility go?

by Seymour M. Hersh May 10, 2004

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/05/10/040510fa_fact

Iraq War Casualty Pictures http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html

Photos show dead Iraqis, torture and rape http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/13/1084289818093.html

Pictures of Destruction and Civilian Victims of the Anglo-American Aggression in Iraq

http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

• beksbks
    beksbks
    and there was the perception that American interests were threatened by the status quo. By comparison, and for the same reasons, Rwanda hardly was on the radar.

Isn't this actually why we are discussing this? Because our reason for being in Iraq has nothing to do with some noble attempt to free the people from a dictator? If it had, if that was our motivation for all the horror of war, we would have done it for all the other innocents we have discussed in this thread. But it isn't really, is it? It's because of money. For someone, certainly not the American or Iraqi public.

Elections Have Consesquences.

• Evidently
    Evidently

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

Mansour Suleiman Mansour Khalifi al-Mashhadani

Abu Ayyub al-Masri

Abu Layla al Suri

Abu Maysara

emir of Mosul -- known as Safi

Muharib Abdul-Latif al-Jubouri

Khalid al-Turki

Abu Usama al-Tunisi

Omar al Farouq

Muharib Abdul Latif

Sabah Hilal al-Shihawi

Abu Ammar al-Masri

Abu Omar al-Baghdadi

Muhammad Abdullah Abbas al-Issawi

Abu Jurah

All of these guys were significant leaders of Al Qaeda that were killed in Iraq.......that means they aren't gonna be helping with new attacks in our country or any of our allies. Had we not gone to Iraq and taken them out, they would probably all be alive today and planning god only knows what.......and thats only a partial list.

Bush told America that he would do everything within his power to prevent another 9/11. If due to his apprehension we would have had another attack, and another mass loss of life, all of that American blood would have been on his hands. That's why he went to Afghanistan, and that is why he had no choice but to go into Iraq. What if there was anoither attack and it originated from Iraq? You would be chastising Bush because he didn't do enough. Hussein was thumbing his nose to the world, what was he doing behind the curtain, why was he so secretive. The risk was too great, Bush and ALMOST ALL of Congress agreed we had to go see what was going on, congress saw the same intelligence reports that Bush saw.. The country of Iraq fell in a matter of a few days, then we had to fight Al Qaeda.....you know the rest of the story. Al Qaeda is a shell of its former self.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit