My wife has Paranoid Personality Disorder

by Witness 007 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Thank you for the support. This is VERY hard for me to deal with, I just want her to be okay. I came home today from work and she confronted me about a missing spade she was gardening with saying I hid it because I thought she would kill me but she says she won't! In Australia you can only commit someone who is a danger to themselves or others but she is living a normal life but otherwise just talks Paraniod crap so I will let her rest up a bit then ask her to see a Doctor and see how things pan out. Generally I'm a nice guy and I may vent on her since it's anonomous and I feel frustrated so thanks for the support my friends.

• milligal
    milligal

I'm really sorry you are going through this. Mental abnormalities are so hard for friends and family, and the patient as well.

Do you have a support system? Does she have friends or family that she trusts and has not accused of bad behavior yet? You may need to come right out and tell her she needs to go to couples counseling with you in order to maintain your relationship, through the counseling the professional can help you decide the next step, whether an intervention is needed OR if your wife becomes harmful, someone else can be responsible for having her put into the hospital and you don't have to be the bad guy. I widh you the best.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

So sorry you're going through this. Since she seems to be close to her brother, is there a way you can work with members of her family to do some kind of intervention? If the people she trusts the most work together, maybe she will listen. Especially if she is reassured by everyone that they are concerned about her because they love her and want what's best for her. Either way, you may benefit by the support of others who love both of you. Also working with a counselor yourself for help on dealing with this could be useful. Only you can decide if that's best. I wish the best for you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Paranoid Personality Disorder is one of the more common mental disorders and also one of the hardest to treat, because many can go through their entire lives without being a danger to themselves or others (eligible for involuntary treatment) and are way too suspicious to trust a doctor or counselor. There is not a lot you can do.

Talk therapy is a real challenge because any suggestions that their delusions are not true brings about more paranoia--the counselor is "in on it". (Sound familiar? Yep, cue jws.)

Best hope may be if she has some other sort of symptom, such as depression, maybe she would agree to get help for that.

• Maddie
    Maddie

You have a very difficult situation on your hands. My brother suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and takes anti-psychotic medication which has greatly improved his illness. I suggest that she should not be allowed to go on without treatment as it will not rectify itself and probably get worse. Good luck on finding another doctor.

Maddie

• penny2
    penny2

Sorry that your wife's stay with her mother was so short. When you posted that in another thread, I thought at least you would have a break.

Have you spoken to the MIL to see what she thinks?

penny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit