My wife has Paranoid Personality Disorder

by Witness 007 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My wife accused me of putting sleeping pills in her tea so I could turn her best friend against her??? She says everyone at work is against her so one Saturday she quit and went to another city {her mums}Sydney to start a new life.....she found it to be alot more expensive so she asked me if she could come back. I told her it's half her house and she can come and go as she wants.....then she asked me to buy her a plane ticket back since she blew her last paycheck {$900} on clothes and laser hair removal. She also wanted her un-employed brother to come and if I can buy him a ticket also. I thought about it and bought her the ticket but refused her brother. I hope she takes time off to get her mind straight....talking to a mental health worker she said my wife has P.P.D {paranoid personality disorder} along with paranoia these people are overly critical of others, self-important, and un-forgiving etc. I have to encourage her to see a doctor but how? I've been walking on egg shells...any little thing gets her Paranoid....she found a new coffee cup when she got home, so I'm having an affair!!! She thinks people at work are still spying on her??? I don't care if we break up in the end but I want her to be well. I keep things as stress free as possible but how to get her to a mental health proffesional without aggravating her Paranoia is hard. She says at least I'm not "one of them" who are not to be trusted. Not sure how to do this. I hope with no work stress she improves.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Wow you have a lot to deal with here, take care of yourself this is going to be stressful..

h40

• yknot
    yknot
    Is involuntary commitment an option?

Ditto.... along with behavior modification therapies as medications are generally not encouraged with PPD. Just curious would you describe her childhood as negative or traumatic? Does she have schizophrenia in her family? Ultimately she has to feel safe in order to acknowledge her views are not 'normal' compared to the rest of society. Improvement is heavily dependent on the person's ability to admit they are suffering from paranoid delusions. Stability and routine are also encouraged to help maintain 'normalcy' along with the formation of trusting relationships.

• manicmama
    manicmama

Get your wife to another doctor. Sounds to me that she is a paranoid schizophrenic or a bipolar in an extreme manic phase with all of the spending without consequence. And yes, it may take involuntary admittance to actually get some care for her.

Is there any history of mental disease in the family? Do some online research and if you care at all for your wife find her some help. If you don't she may wind up racking up numerous bills and credit charges in your name, since you are still married. You may also want to consult a lawyer as to your rights and preemptive steps.

I speak from experience. Good Luck!

Manicmama

• Open mind
    Open mind

Well, 007, I hope you're able to get her to some competent professional help before a tragedy occurs.

I wish you the best.

Having said that, I've got to tell you that this line had me snorting with laughter:

"she blew her last paycheck {$900} on clothes and laser hair removal. "

Now there's someone with her priorities straight! (wishing I could insert OUTLAW'S snickering pooch right here)

Cheers,

om

• Gregor
  • no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Here in the states she could be admitted for a 72 hour observation (pink slipped) if she is a danger to herself or others, that would include not being able to care for herself. It sounds as if she is approaching this level of dysfunction. If you feel this is the case, call the police or take her to the ER for a psych assessment.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Get your wife to another doctor. Sounds to me that she is a paranoid schizophrenic or a bipolar in an extreme manic phase with all of the spending without consequence. And yes, it may take involuntary admittance to actually get some care for her.

I agree with manicmama. Get her to another doctor.

Here's a link you might want to look at on borderline personality disorder. A woman I know recently got diagnosed with it. None of us who know her were surprised by the diagnosis.

http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/bpd.html

Good luck to you.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Seems that you may want to seriously consider how you can protect/freeze both of your assets (bank accounts) so she does not cause further drain on your finances.

On how to get her into a psych office... Can you call a professional or two and ask them for suggestions?

Wish I had better suggestions for you but this is out of my league.

-Aude.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here's something to think about: it can be difficult for psychiatrists to diagnose something as serious as a personality disorder and even when they do come up with a diagnosis, it can be wrong.

Being a JW can drive a person over the edge. Especially if the person has a pre-dispostion for mental illness. But people can have anxiety and phobias without having a personality disorder. The only hope for understanding what's wrong is for your wife to see a good psych doctor or team of mental health pros.

Here in the USA, if someone poses a serious threat to others or to herself, family members can make a request for an evalution and assessment to be done at the order of a judge. If the assessment confirms the danger, the person will be committed for further evaluation and treatment. It's usually recommended that an intervention/confrontation is done first, depending on the danger level involved.

Be sparing about whom you share this suspicion with. It's only fair to your wife. Urge her to see her doctor. If she really is a danger to anyone, and if she won't seek help, then you need to consult your local mental health office to see what you can do to make sure she gets help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit