Oo-La-La'

by THE GLADIATOR 15 Replies latest jw friends

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

We had a four day break in France last weekend, travelling from London at 186 miles per hour on the Eurostar. No sooner had we landed, when my wife took me on a 24-hour open-top-bus -tour around Paris. Fortunately she wasn’t driving. When it was over I stumbled off the bus and headed for a coffee shop. I was given an eggcup full of coffee, that tasted like a wrestlers armpit, at the price of 4.5 euros a shot. As the days passed I realized this was a bargain and that like Concorde, coffee was an unaffordable luxury in France.

We stayed in a very nice hotel, one minute’s walk from the Seine and the Notre Dame. We were by choice in the Latin Quarters. That is close to one of the seedy parts of Paris where delightful French women make men of my age feel welcome, or whatever they want to feel - at a price. My wife was there to make sure my money was spent on her - as every good wife should.

Drinks were so expensive one would have to be an alcoholic to buy them. So all was well. We settled upon a reasonably priced Havana themed bar. Once again the male owner seemed unable to walk past my bar stool without hugging me. What am I doing wrong I asked my wife ? She shrugged and told me to make the most of it. The hugs were the only free thing in town, so I relaxed and thought of England.

We managed to knock out the Louvre in 2.5 hours. The greatest work of art was a Starbucks coffee shop with real coffee in very large cups at only 4.6 euros. I was so relieved I couldn’t stop smiling. The young woman serving me must have taken this as a personal compliment, as she only charged me 3 euros. I took my own biscuits to stuff the French. It is what Wellington would have wanted.

The French moved very slowly, except on one occasion when a car backfired. Then they all start running for cover. Old habits die hard, I guess.

My wife was entertained, late at night by fit young men, stripped to the waist, jumping over a 10 high foot bar on skate boards in front of the Notre Dame. Their appeal was lost on me but if I lived there, with drinks at that price, I would be tempted to join them and end it all.

My gods had travelled with me and saw to it that there was no time to go shopping, a torture I have never born well.

A walk in the park. A nice Sunday Lunch washed down with van rouge and van blanc and we were thrust back through the tunnel into reality and my out of wallet experience was at an end.

Now my wife keeps hugging me. I don’t know if she has been impressed by the passionate French or the power of my wallet. In any case I feel loved. She has other tests planned for me this year. I will keep you posted.

• caliber
    caliber

Gladiator,

You have a very dramatic and poetic way of expressing things.. very good...so was this a thumbs up or thumbs down trip ?

ye or Nye ? or ....... ?

Caliber

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

How funny - I had to laugh. I even got the allusions - have read enough BritLit to recognize them.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Very cute story.

Merci for sharing!!!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Thanks for reading this great frivolity.

We had a great time and blew away a few cobwebs but it is so English to be disdainful and unimpressed - particularly about all things French.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I couldn't survive it without coffee.... France just lost a some of its appeal for me... I take my coffee very seriously!

Coffee

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well...I had typed some comments about ordering coffee in France, but erased them not to detract from the story.

I think I've had some of the best coffee in my life in France. I like it strong and fresh, otherwise, I don't bother. it does cost what he says, but you usually get a token on the side and very cool sugar. It is no more than Starbucks I think.

• Open mind
    Open mind
    out of wallet experience

ROTFLMAO!

The next time I go to Europe, I am going to resign myself to somehow not translate what we spend to how long it took us to earn.

Ciao!

om

• rebel8
    rebel8

LOL, thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

I didn't like Paris much either.

I have a travel-sized espresso machine. For me there is no quicker way to ruin a trip than to not have a decent cup of espresso.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Dagney: Well...I had typed some comments about ordering coffee in France, but erased them not to detract from the story.

Very thoughtful of you. I can tell you are not French. This is of course a satire.

I have been to other parts of France where restaurants and bar drinks are cheaper than England. Paris prices, being the capital city, have to be compared to London which has been recently judged the most expensive city on earth.

If anyone French is troubled of offended by my French experience, I can only say -

Enchanté de faire votre connaissance - Vive la différence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit