Psychology

by billie jean 12 Replies latest social relationships

• billie jean
    billie jean

On a recent discussion about my poor depressed father to my mother (both witnesses) i suggested that he should see a counsellor or at least get some help as i was trying to get her to see how ill he's becoming 'mentally'. her answer in a very dismissive tone to me was ,

" oh no you don't we're not into that, youre not using any psychologist on us "

Just what are they so affraid of ? it makes me SO mad that yet again they're willing to put their health on the line for this damn stupid foolish life they call a religion !

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Hello Billie Jean and welcome to the forum.

• billie jean
    billie jean

Hi Mickey,

Thank you for replying and yes it's very very hard

• shamus100
    shamus100

Witnesses are warned not to go to psychologists and psychyatrists. They may talk some sense in them, you see...

Sorry about your troubles.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Might be the old fashioned British view on therapy….????

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Billie jean, I think alot of witnesses are afraid to open up to a therapist because they would have to disclose too much about how the truth dictates so much of their life. If a person is depressed the therapist may reccomend that they take time out for themselves, eat right, work out ect, there is not alot of time for that living the witness lifestyle. Also they may view it as a defeat, here they are suppose to be the happiest people on earth, and they need a pill for depression. Sorry about your dad, I hope he listens to you eventually. Welcome to the site.

• still_in74
    still_in74

when i went to a therapist prior to my eyes opening i would not talk religion. She asked but I would not go there. I had to protect Jehovahs name!

No concern about protecting myself! just the organization. Hows that for brainwashed?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, fear rules. Fear that the WTS might be displeased. Fear of "brainwashing" from worldly professional people.

Isn't it interesting the number of depressed JWs, the Happiest People on Earth?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I remember when I was a young witness arguing the bible with my witness motherinlaw.

It was driving me crazy all the bible contradictions errors and inconsistencies.

I told her I was thinking about seeing a psychiatrist because none of this makes sense to me.

She told me if you go to see a psychiatrist the psychiatrist will probably tell you the witnesses are wrong.

I think she was right.

• carla
    carla

"when i went to a therapist prior to my eyes opening i would not talk religion. She asked but I would not go there. I had to protect Jehovahs name!

No concern about protecting myself! just the organization. Hows that for brainwashed?" ----- Were you protecting jah because you knew how crazy the jw lifestyle really sounded or because jah somehow needed you to protect Him from the non believing worldly person? Can someone explain the thought here? How can a mere human protect what should be God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit