Do JWs eat shrimp, crab, lobster, clams, and mussels?

by sacolton 22 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

what about fish? do they have blood, and are they bled out?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

They probably eat some clams during a red tide and somebody got sick

Or they left them in the fridge too long

• hubert
    hubert

Hey, if j.w.'s don't eat steamers, it leaves more for me. (yummy) !!!

That goes for little necks, shrimp, and lobsters, too.

Hubert

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Good Question WHA ,when I fish in winter here locally for our sea salmon we put a cut near the tailfin and break their blood supply at the same time by bending their head back to immediately kill them and release all the red blood quickly ,this way the flesh tastes better but it is not the case with most fish caught as they die of suffocation. So JW's eat alot of fish blood.

• bbinkss
    bbinkss

Wha happened?.... What about shrimp on a bed of shrimp or 'bubba-gump' shrimp?

Bbinkss.

• Whynot
    Whynot

Crustaceans aren't bled out. Their blood doesn't contain red blood cells but it does contain PLASMA which is a prohibited component. I was researching the crustaceans white cells and platelets but I am still reading the research. It looks like they do contain similarities. But I can't understand why it's ok to eat shellfish since it does contain plasma. There is nothing in the bible that explains this other than DON'T EAT!

• belogical
    belogical

I used to love whitebait but by the time i Gutted and took the heads of a pound of them they were to rotten to eat Haha

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If it's in the water and swims, crawls, floats or just sits there ... I would probably eat it.

I've eaten some things, considered by many, to be odd but other than eel, I haven't had anything that I disliked. The texture of the eel is just too soft and reminds me of liver, one of the few things on land I don't eat.

Rub a Dub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Things forbidden to Jews are fine for J W’s , “ old law done away with” by Christ.

When I read yesterday’s thread about Horshoe crab blood in medical use it , made me think that they don’t care about fish blood - even large fish like salmon and halibut . An angler may bleed one but commercial fishing does not.

Since The Bible does not mention fish in the blood prohibition and Jesus is recorded as eating fish, I guess that is why they are happy with it.......... Thankfully.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

even large fish like salmon and halibut . An angler may bleed one but commercial fishing does not.

BluesBrother ...

I think you have to check your "facts" about commercial fishing and the bleeding process. I don't want to put links here that may be offensive to some, but immediately bleeding a live fish is considered the most human method and certainly the best for quality of the fish when eating. If, for example, a tuna is not properly bled, it looses a significant amount of its value.

The Japanese have developed a method called Ikejime (google it if you wish) to further preserve the flesh by removing all blood as quickly as possible. Come on now, who wants to pay top dollar for sushi and have blood spots in it???

I do fish often and have learned the process when catching a nice fish and wanting to get it to the ice as quickly as possible. Just throwing it in the cooler, especially with a larger fish over 6 or 7 lbs (3 kg), just ends up with more blood in the flesh and more damaged flesh since the fish just keeps jumping around until it dies.

Using the Ikejime method only takes a minute or so and results in a MUCH better result. Commercial fisherman catching a big blue fin tuna worth $10,000 or so would not think of losing half of their value with a fish that has not been properly bled. It even applies to smaller yellow fin and even black fin tuna.

If you have never seen the amount of blood squirting out of the side of the head of a 15 pound tuna, you would be surprised, just as I first was.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit