politics, homosexuals, athiests

by BR25 24 Replies latest jw friends

• BR25
    BR25

First of all I get on here every now and then. I still have the jws beliefs, but havent attended in probably 5 years or so. I have an interesting question to ask.

As much as everyone slams the jws on here, I want some insite on politics. Now I watched the democratic covention the last few nights, and I really want a democrat myself, but couldnt help hearing bill, hillary and other democrats wanting not only wanting equal rights for all races, children, but also HOMOSEXUALS. Now as much as everyone slams the JWs wouldnt that be against bible principles of any religious person who would vote for this???

Ive seen discussions on here and other places where the bible has been thrown at homosexuals, but its ok to vote for these things???? I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE NOT VOTING FOR DEMS BECAUSE OF THIS, BUT IT STILL PART THE DEMOCRATIC BELIEF, so in a whole it makes against gods word. Tell how me how this is alright.

You know Im starting to understand athiests more and more everyday. Yeh people can poke fun at the jws beliefs all day long, but its just as easy to find faults with other religions.

• Gopher
    Gopher

In the past, the Bible has been used to support many prejudices and false beliefs that are now no longer generally held.

"The black man was cursed by God." -- This notion was used to support slavery and prejudice.

"The earth is the center of the universe." -- This was actually believed to be strongly supported by scripture.

Society in general is now advancing to the understanding that homosexuality is an inborn disposition rather than an immoral choice. So as humanity advances, this notion too will be set aside.

Interestingly, even some Bible-scholars challenge the premise that the Bible condemns homosexuality. Check out this link: http://deananderson.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/the-bible-does-not-strongly-condemn-homosexuality/

As an atheist, I agree that religion has historically enlarged existing divisions among people and promoted prejudice. When people set aside religious superstition they often face reality more clearly and even treat their neighbors as they would like to be treated -- a universal principle of good (not just a religious one).

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    so in a whole it makes against gods word. Tell how me how this is alright.

Because we are not a Christian society, we are a secular one. Live and let live. People do not have to agree on the choices each other make, rather they need to find ways to co-exist within the same society without infringing on each others rights as free people.

Start mixing your personal religious views with how legislation should be written can be a recipe for disaster.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Now as much as everyone slams the JWs wouldnt that be against bible principles of any religious person who would vote for this??? "

No.

• avishai
    avishai

Because this country has freedom of religion. As such, it's not "God's govt." So why would you vote? What's wrong with equal rights for gays? You want un-equal rights? I suppose we should ship them off to an island? Look at it this way. There was a bill here in OR about 10 years ago, that if passed, would have allowed discrimination against gays in jobs and housing. Actually, not if they were gay, you could deny them even if you just "perceived them to be gay". So, hey, your a woman, black, a hippie, whatever, and they don't want to give you a job because of those biases? All they have to say is "Hey, they seemed a little fruity to me!" and voila. As long as you are obeying the law, equal rights are a must in this country. Want to live in a country based on a religious book? Move to vatican city, or Saudi Arabia, or Iran. That's not what we're about here.

• changeling
    changeling

Are you saying homosexuals should not have equal rights?

Are you saying that in order to get elected someone should pander to the prejudices of others if these are in the majority?

changeling :)

• BR25
    BR25

I used this as an example only, not because I wanted to hate on gay people first off. When I think equal rights I think of gay marriage. Its amazing how people knock gays all the time and bring up the bible against them, but as soon as person of jw belief asks how can this be ok now, nobody agrees. Look how the Catholics were looked upon after the gay bishop. How can it not be against bible scriptures then, if its in politics. Gods words or Mans. Also Im sure this is not the only thing in politics that goes against gods word to. So why even go to church? Not with just jws, but in all religions youve got to be on one side or the other.

Drew Sagan I guess this is a question to the so called christians whose religions are supposed to be perfect.

Gopher thanks for the info and good post.

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

avishai:

As long as you are obeying the law, equal rights are a must in this country. Want to live in a country based on a religious book? Move to vatican city, or Saudi Arabia, or Iran. That's not what we're about here.

I love it!!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Everyone breathe easy here... everyone is entitled to they're point of view, even about homosexuals. Please, let's not start this shit again.

I don't need anyone fighting for my rights. Thanks!

• beksbks
    beksbks

I haven't read any of the other comments here, but I'll give you my own, trying to respect your point of view. It is not the business of the government, who governs people from all walks of life, to decide upon matters of religious beliefs. It is the job of the government to make it possible for all to make those distinctions for themselves. If Christians believe that judgment is the Lord's, how can you ask the government to intercede?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit