Mother-in-law said she will not talk to us anymore...... feel the love.

by New light for you 38 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie

Maybe your father in law will put his foot down and say that his kids and grandkids won't be shunned in his house.

Maybe that Catholic can show the JW how real love acts.

• Switch
    Switch

wow Scully. You're post has given me a lot to think about. I've been wondering how I'd handle this with my kids if/when the situation comes up.

When you allow people to shun you but give them access to your kids, it sends a message to the children that you are doing something wrong and that the shunners are correct to shun you.

that makes a lot of sense. My thinking has been that I would be the bigger person and still let grandma see the kids, but now....hmm. That's such a valid point. Thanks for that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

When we demand that we be treated right, we send a strong message to our children that as human beings that they too are deserving of being treated right. You'll save them a lifetime of pain by learning how not to be a doormat.

• Scully
    Scully

Sorry for taking so long to come back to this - having computer troubles at home and currently logging in at the public library.

Thanks for posting the quote from the WTS publication.

How can we apply the priciple behind Paul's warning? By avoiding close association with anyone - inside or outside the congregation - who could be a corrupting influence. (2nd Thess 3:6, 7, 14) We must protect our spirituality. Remember that like a sponge, we absorb the attitudes and ways of our close friends. Just as we cannot submerge a sponge in vinegar and expect it to fill with water, so we cannot associate with those who exert a negative influence and expect to absorb what is positive. - 1Cor 5:6

Now I'm going to give it a tweak and apply it to how we regard our shunning JW relatives' behaviour when it comes to our own children, whom we are trying to protect from JW indoctrination:

How can we apply the priciple behind Paul's warning? By avoiding close association with anyone - inside or outside our family - who could be a negative and corrupting influence. (2nd Thess 3:6, 7, 14) We must protect our children. Remember that like a sponge, children absorb the attitudes and ways of those around them. Just as we cannot submerge a sponge in vinegar and expect it to fill with water, so we cannot associate with those who exert a negative influence or attitude toward us and expect our children to absorb what is positive. - 1Cor 5:6

The only reason JW grandparents want to continue associating with our children after we leave the JWs is to make subtle and overt gains in indoctrinating our children. If they have an attitude toward us that we are "sinful", "apostates", "evil", or any other pejorative term, it is unlikely that they will be able to suppress that opinion when they have unsupervised access to our children. They may not physically abuse the children, and may even shower them with love and affection and gifts to gain their trust (and ours). But the instant our backs are turned, their intent is to introduce thoughts and opinions to our children with the goal of slowly indoctinating them with JW beliefs.

I would not trust a child of mine in the unsupervised company of a JW relative under any circumstances. They are mind molesters.

• oompa
    oompa

new lite and robert7....i feel your pain.....I would use robets dad to your advantage. Rather than wait to let him see his wife shunning you (maybe he would not notice...lol) I think you guys should let him know how all your old jw friends are shunning you since you changed your mind on the jw faith....and let him know you have been told the same will happen from his wife and that concerns you deeply.......bet money he will understand the culd mindset, and set his wife straight before your vist........good luck.........oompa

for some reason, when i read your post...I thought of the song "Another one bites the dust".......it never seems to end....another friend or family....biting the dust

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Just saw this thread NL4U... I heard some of this from Robert in an email.. sorry for what you've been through, it's not easy at all....

And Scully, powerful advice!!!!!! No need to allow shunning and give access to your kids!

• xjwms
    xjwms

Thank you Chickpea

I just knew something like this would surface someday. This is the first...I have heard this.

Truely the biggest cult.

x

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Bitch.

Watch your language! What are you, some f***in apostate?

I'm glad to see that you are taking that stance... demand fair treatment for yourself and protect your kids from indoctination!

Final score:

Apostate Devils 2, JW Knuckleheads 0

• sacolton
    sacolton

Ravenous wolves in sheeps clothing. Yep, that describes them perfectly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit