Do JW's reveal all their doctrines to those they study the Bible with?

by BonaFide 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Gozz said: ""What will happen if I decide not to be a JW after getting baptised?"; "Can I openly disagree with teachings I don't agree with; I do this at my Church; will there be any problems?"; "What is a Judicial Committee; what happens there; are there documented guidelines for things that may transpire in the context of a Judicial Committee?". "Are some written materials off limits for me as JW?"He had the discussion. Then I sent e-copies of relevant materials, including a copy of the Elders' Manual. A few weeks later, his baptism was called off; it was six weeks away."

Magnificent questions, Gozz. Marked.

Thanks...
    Baba.

• james_woods
    james_woods

You disgust me.

W

But at least she won't try to recruit you, Finally-Free...

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

No they dont, but considering that the doctrines change all the time anyway, would it matter if they did?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No. I can honestly say they didn't reveal all their doctrines to me. I was actually told 'they are simply bible students' who met more than people in churches.

The blood issue was glossed over. I never heard much about disfellowshipping and when I did and inquired I was told the person did something 'horrible' - but they could always come back, etc. I wasn't told anything about assemblies until after I was baptized. I didn't hear anything about anointed. Most of the talk was about the 'new system' and how wonderful everything would be. Because I was Catholic they debunked the teachings about hell and so on.

I guess every congregation is different. I was one of those people who was 'love bombed' and nothing much in the way of negative things was mentioned. After I was 'baptized' they lowered the boom and I got all kinds of criticism and 'advice'. Even though I had several rude awakenings, it took quite a few years before the 'scales fell from my eyes'.

LHG

• Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper

I wish I'd been given a list of 'rules' at the start instead of being gradually drawn in.

The 1914 generation sold the troof to me - as they were in their 80s and 90s the end was so near!

Whats the big draw now that practically all this generation is dead?

Could I be convinced today?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Very interesting thread.....I am still trying to figure out what the draw is to my wife.

I believe it is a social network with a well defined, almost recipe approach, to a form of salvation where you let someone else do the thinking and dictate your thoughts.....which I find not appealing at all...

I am unsure how much of these hard to uncover issues she knows about, she knows nothing of blood fractions or the harshness of shunning, and she really wonders what is the importance of 1914. In addition, she does not know about the selection of the FDS in 1918-1919...

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks, Skally, for the very good breakdown on hooking new converts. I saved and printed it out, and will be putting it to good use.

Hubert

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I guess I am being called out? What I meant with my topic title was, "Do most Witnesses know they are not telling the whole truth to their student?" I guess I should have put that as the title.

I usually read the Active Topics, then I post a topic I have been thinking of, then I go back to work, then I come back online to see what you all have written, sometimes it takes a day or two.

When I first got to my assignment, I got about 8 studies pretty quick. They are easy to get in some countries. Then, in the traveling work, when I would accompany others, I would offer suggestions, I tried to be "encouraging." I would go on about 5 or 6 per week. I did that for 7 1/2 years.

What I meant was, I didn't realize all my life that when we tell a Bible Study about the judicial process for example, we put it in a nice light, a provision from Jehovah to keep his Organization clean. We don't tell them what it really is. I didn't realize what it really is. The same with blood, I used to have all these bloodless surgery quotes I used to use for students when we hit that chapter. I put it in a positive light. I used to be so careful what I told a prospective Witness, I put everything I could into the best words possible. I even would say that "Hey there are some imperfect people in the organization, so get ready to be offended sometimes." The student would feel like he was being told the whole truth, when in reality, I was wasn't doing that at all.

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit