The WTS lawyers ended the Book Study Arrangement

by lawrence 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Having a united religion-but one that doesn't really encourage intimacy and relationships outside of their 'worship' further isolates JW's. We already know about how they feel about non JWs/the World.

More and more churches lately have been going to the small group format-whether entirely or just as their bible study in the middle of the week or social hours a couple of times a month. Could it be that ANYTHING that looks too much like standard 'Christendom' will be eliminated? They have already shortened the public talk to an event that you will miss if you come in almost late and need to pee before you take your seat in the auditorium. So, no sermon. We have basically, a WT study, TMS, a "Bible study"(we will see what that is in reality) and then the service meeting. That is it. Doesn't resemble CHURCH at all, does it? No worship, rote prayer, ugly nasty songs.

The book study was the closest thing to 'fellowship' that the WT has ever had. Now it is done.

Another factor: I think the less nonsense they spew out now, the less they will have to defend in 20 years from now-if they still exist. The more books and magazines they publish that are available publicly and IN PRINT(hardcopies), the more issues they have. They are pulling in, in imitation of a truly persecuted church, and will be giving JWs that impression more and more-that these are the last days yada yada yada.

• searcher
    searcher

I read somewhere online (maybe here) that the government American? Canadian?) are investigating the charitable status of religions.

One of the criteria to claim charitable religious status seemed to be 'Bible Study' so 'Book Study' doesn't fit.

Sorry I am not more informed, it's just something I read in passing.

• sir82
    sir82

What if people are staying after the meetings and talking. Talking about the study itself and how it makes little sense.

Ha ha ha!

Oh, sorry. Were you being serious?

I guess it's been a while since you attended any meetings. The last thing anybody wants to talk about after a meeting is what they just went through.

Other than a perfunctory and vague "wasn't that a good meeting" or "I really enjoyed your comment" you won't hear anything related to the meeting at all. It's all golf, or shopping, or football, or where to eat afterward, etc.

If you want to have some fun, when someone makes the usual "oh wasn't that nice" type of comment, ask them "Yes, what was your favorite part?" or "What point exactly did you like about my comment / talk?"

The "deer frozen in the headlights" look, as they scramble to try to recall something, anything about the meeting, will be priceless.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I agree with Lady Lee. They are staying after the bookstudy... and they are talking.

The bookstudy in my family's home still has "goodie night" the first bookstudy of the month, where they stay and eat deserts and associate... anything that "didn't make sense" during the bookstudy that night is fresh in their minds for discussion without the book in their hands.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Of all the replies, above, Jeremy's hits the nail on the head. The book study setting is too informal for a high control organization and leaves too much room for a dominant personality to influence groups of dubs. My own experience suggests that quite a few former book study conductors have taken a hike in recent years (including me). The book study conductor can become a father figure or big brother to people who attend and I think they are concerned about this influence.

Someone said "they don't talk about the meeting material afterwards" but I disagree. At one of the last book studies I went to someone made a comment about jury duty no longer being a no-no. One of the sisters there became quite upset, not having heard the Society's amended view on the subject. For 30 minutes after the meeting there was a spirited discussion about why that teaching had changed. It was clear that at least a few of the dubs weren't fully aware of the shift in official position and were a little upset by it.

As more and more doctrines are jettisoned in coming years, this reaction will be common in small groups. Whereas, at the KH, such commentary can be tightly controlled from the platform (as elders are warned in advance not to bring up controversial changes). And if one slips by anyway, the peer pressure from the larger group will squelch any negative talk immediately after.

Finally, someone mentioned elder burnout. I never saw any real concern about the elder's mental or emotional health in my three decades as a dub (20+ years of them as an elder). It hink it's more "CO burnout" or more precisely, the new arrangement that will do away with the CO arrangement as we know it. They needed to get the meetings closer to the weekend and eliminating a book study means you can schedule them from Thursday-Sunday, allowing a traveling PO from another congo (who has been schooled in appropriate dub-speak at Patterson) to "serve" the congo in a realatively short period of time. The GB doesn't do anything to help the rank and file (including the elders) cope with their heavy Society-imposed burden (schedule). They act only out of an instinct for survival and self-preservation.

• sir82
    sir82

As more and more doctrines are jettisoned in coming years, this reaction will be common in small groups. Whereas, at the KH, such commentary can be tightly controlled from the platform (as elders are warned in advance not to bring up controversial changes). And if one slips by anyway, the peer pressure from the larger group will squelch any negative talk immediately after.

Well, perhaps. I agree with the point about such discussions becoming more common as the years progress and "old chestnut" doctrines are dropped.

But in my experience, these things are talked about at private gatherings, not so much right at the CBS location or the Kingdom Hall, right after the meeting. I think folks get the feeling that Kingdom Halls (or CBS locations) are kind of "holy" and they refrain from stating things that would be too controversial. Never can tell if "Brother Conservative" or "Judy Big Ears" might wander by and catch something unorthodox coming out of your mouth.

Now, car groups in field service? Or casual evenings in someone's home? No chance of someone not in your "circle" overhearing you? There's where the "spiritual" discussions take place.

I gotta believe the CBS change was done primarily to make the switch over to the "mini-COs" (or "circuit elders" or whatever they will be called) easier.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I agree with Lady Lee. They are staying after the bookstudy... and they are talking.

Well, not around here they aren't. I do agree that the book study setting is too informal for a cultic organization; they are tightening the leashes, making sure that they can monitor every word that is said.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It may be liablility, but I have not seen THAT case proven in this thread.

More likely, it is just a part of the ongoing reduction of costs, and perhaps a reaction to loss of direct oversight of what was discussed in the private home settings in some areas with the BookStudy arrangement.

I guess that there is a small chance that they agreed to this as part of some of the settled lawsuits for molestation? Still seems unlikely to me.

Jeff

• choosing life
    choosing life

Seems to have more to do with the coming change of the Co arrangement. It will make it easier for the someone close by to serve a congo if all meetings are from Thursday through Sunday.

They sure are making a lot of changes in a short time period. Wonder what's up? Oh, yeah, the end is sooo near!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sir Nose

The last thing anybody wants to talk about after a meeting is what they just went through.

That could very well be true. I haven't been to one in over 23 years.

I suspect that not all groups are the same just as no two cong are the same

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit