The WTS lawyers ended the Book Study Arrangement

by lawrence 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I don’t believe that perceived legal liabilities were a factor. I believe that the book study arrangement within private homes provides a much more informal and relaxed atmosphere where friends are much more apt to discuss doctrinal issues.

We were always taught that the home book studies were the most important meeting since they would be integral to the friends keeping in close contact when persecution was launched against the Jehovah’s Witnesses. What are they planning on doing when the Kingdom Halls are bolted shut by the military? Will they meet at Dunkin Donuts? At the local bowling alley?

I think it is clear that they do not want any unauthorized material or discussions underway anywhere. If all of the meetings can be confined to Kingdom Halls, the material and its consideration can be tightly managed from Brooklyn. This was not the case in private homes.

Remember: the Watchtower is paranoid about its members having any kind of doctrinal discussions among themselves. This is why they are reigning in on the flock and clamping down on any displays of independent thought. As far as the gas prices explanation is concerned? That was about as believable as C.T. Russell’s miracle wheat.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree that the quick meeting for field service is "safe" compared to the socializing after a bookstudy.

I do sense that freeing up the elders on some duties is connected to the CO purge in the future.

Not to defend any of the old farts in NY, But I know that by committee, a horse is a camel. If the backbiting out there is a as strong as it is in local elder bodies, changes get made by compromise for a specific personal agenda. I've certainly done it in the business world

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

When is the BS supposed to wrap up and be done. My wife left a schedule of the study on the table and it appears to be going into February of next year, isn't this arrangement supposed to change prior to that time?

• minimus
    minimus

I would think that a person could sue Watchtower if Watchtower had a meeting or gathering where something like molestation could occur, as in a private home that Watchtower uses.

• sir82
    sir82
    When is the BS supposed to wrap up and be done.

The Congregation Book Study is not going away.

It is:

1) Being renamed to "Congregation Bible Study"

2) No longer to be conducted in private homes

3) To be conducted at the Kingdom Hall on the same night as the Ministry School & Service meeting (all 3 meetings will be shortened)

This all begins January 1 2009.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks for the clarification, so this will pretty much elimnate the last meeting that was held in private homes...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

During the last 5 years I was a JW it was increasingly difficult for the elders to find homeowners who were willing to host book studies. I noticed most of the elders got the studies out of their own homes. I wonder if it was due to the potential liability of the homeowner, not only in molestation cases, but in something as simple as a slip and fall accident in the driveway or a fall down the stairs. I'm sure most homeowners don't tell their insurance companies they are using their home as a place of worship. That would likely incur additional premiums. I think it's safe to assume the watchtower society would not assist someone who was being sued by a JW who slipped in a driveway and shattered his kneecap or cracked his skull.

W

• geevee
    geevee

Wow!!!

The things you find out when you visit. Is there anymore to the official reasons why this is happening? I noted the comments from sir82, is there any letters that can be "quoted" from?

What is to happen with the "free" night that they all will have?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

In all my years attending the Book Study, I never recall hearing controversial doctrinal issues being brought up and discussed. In fact, quite the opposite: sometimes the conductor could hardly get a comment out of a paragraph and practically had to answer it himself. No, I simply don't see the Book Study Arrangement as some hot bed of dissent that some are making it out to be.

Dave

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have an idea, not sure how valid it is but . . .

What if people are staying after the meetings and talking. Talking about the study itself and how it makes little sense.

Once the conductor has left is it possible that people are beginning to express themselves or share a bit of info learned on the internet?

Or actually looking at forbidden websites together?

At the KH there is tighter control over people sharing what they may have learned. But in smaller groups, in private homes some people might be taking advantage of the opportunity to learn something new.

Just my thoughts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit