A practical lesson on shunning.

by strawberry cake 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

SC,

I am so proud of you! JWs need to feel that shunning is unchristian... no love whatsover.

It takes guts to stand up to shunners. You rock!

A@G

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

It's been my experience that Jehovah's Witnesses are often unprepared to handle such situations when faced with it personally. Some will go well out of their way to avoid any contact when they see a df'd person. Others turn their heads and backs when a df'd person approaches. One can sense the panic and fear in their demeanor. But I remember one dear "sister" that saw me in a grocery store and raised her hand with a furtive wave. One of the saddest cases involved my own mother who, in her 90s, was shunned by her grand daughter in the house of my sister. She got up and walked out of the room. Needless to say, my mother was devasted.

I'm amazed that some Jehovah's Witnesses deny that they shun former members. Perhaps, they are embarrassed by the practice itself. In SC's case, they were their own worst enemies by demonstrating "first hand" the cruel and unchristian ways of this religious group.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Where's a video camera when you need one?

Good for you SC!

I think that the Watchtower has at some point in the past said that in a case like you described that it could actually be OK for a JW to say Hello. I think the reasoning was that in ancient Israel if you were to "say a greeting" that it would include the word "Shalom" (Peace) and that 1st Century Christians wouldn't want to wish "Peace" on Disfellowshipped ones. But Hello is OK.

Anybody remember this? Blondie?

om

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Oh my goodness, I can't believe they got caught doing that in front of a bible student! They try to keep that stuff covered up until you are trapped/baptized.

Good for you for standing up to them, Strawberry Cake! I'm so sorry you are experiencing this heartbreaking treatment, but you should be so proud of yourself for showing your former student what a true Christian attitude is!

I hope your sons see it for what it is and never treat you this way. My parents shun me and it hurts so badly.

Rachel

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

'I'm amazed that some Jehovah's Witnesses deny that they shun former members.'

Their recent articles on Official JW Web, shows they are now VERY bare faced! on shunning.

I thought they could have just said,Hello! it was so unnecessary. Also their faces looked so mean! These are ladies I have never had a cross word with. Stepping out of the Tower, I could really see how brainwashed they were.It was like they were possessed!

My God! this Org is EVIL! Rachel, NEVER, give up, fight to get your parents back!

Love to you all xxx SC

• anglise
    anglise

Hi SC

sorry for what you are going through.

Cant give any helpful ideas for coping other than try to build a new life and be happy.

Not easy I know and we are still trying to achieve this having got out.

Looking at the ages of your older children I would assume that they are typical youngsters and maybe going

in the opposite direction to what mum and dad want is driving their meeting attendance ATM.

Thankfully our 3 are all OUT now but they did still attend for a while after we left.

If It would help pm me.

Anglise

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Strawberry Cake said: "My God! this Org is EVIL! Rachel, NEVER, give up, fight to get your parents back!"

I won't, SC, thank you for this comment!

Rachel

P.S. What you said too about them looking possessed, they are. In the form of brainwashing, just like you also mentioned. It's really sad for them, but happy for us that we now recognize it!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

NICE one! You should have stayed for tea and scones; see if they could conduct a conversation with her while still pretending that you're not there. It would have been torture for everybody.

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

You should have stayed for tea and scones;

(lol)Yes, but by the looks on their faces it could've got UGLY!

xxx SC

• chickpea
    chickpea

i bet their hearts were hammering away, too!!

good on you for taking a stand against inhumane practices

hopefully your lads will see that they are pawns and walk away from the source

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit