A practical lesson on shunning.

by strawberry cake 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

Today I decided to visit a friend of mine who I met when she was my study.(She has no intentions of making a commitment, but still continues studying with old pioneer 'friends' of mine.)
    Well it just so happens that these 2 sisters were there.

Knowing full well that the rules say they must shun me;determined not to follow their rules,I said hello.
    Well right there, in front of their study, they blank me. I say hi again and asked them what was up. One of the sisters, who had been one of my closest 'friends' continued to blank me.
    I decided it best to go and said goodbye to everyone, ignoring the shunning.

Later I phoned my ex study friend. I told her that she has had a good lesson on shunning. She agreed.

I'm surprised she still studies, as she says shunning is wrong and doesn't agree with the blood issue. Indeed she would have died after childbirth if she had followed there guide.

Anyway, I hope this shows her what being a JW means.

xxx SC

• TrekkerJW
    TrekkerJW

Good for you, strawberry cake! It takes guts to do that when you know what their reaction will be.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Good for you! I too have been in awkward situations with witnesses shunning me (even though I am not DF'd or DA'd, but everyone knows I joined another church after fading from the WT many years earlier). I agree that the best thing is to let them be the ones that act rudely. I am friendly and polite to them. Maybe it will make them ask themselves "Why does my religion demand that I act like an @#$%^&! to others?".

• milligal
    milligal

Recently I have decided that because I was baptised at the ripe old age of 13 and basically entered a contract with the JW's which they severed and df'd me, that THEY presumed to have a contractual agreement with a minor and that I (also) will no longer accept the terms of the shunning. They can do what they please and look like jerks (as I'm sure you're 'friends' did). But I'm not accepting the shunning....

so there! I think what you did was the absolute right thing to do.

• dobbie
    dobbie

What i've found is that if you get one of them on their own sometimes if you say hello or something you sometimes get an answer! Proof to me that they don't really want to shun.Some i smile at or make the occasional comment, others are dollops anyway so i have nothing to do with them. Good for you for being so gutsy i, know how hard it is at first, being blanked by people you thought were true friends x

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

Thanks for all your support.

It's so weird I can hardly believe it's happening, but it is.

If my family did this to me, I think I would be physically sick. How awful this must be for those whose family have rejected them.

I feel so very sad that my 2 boys still go and even though they say they will not shun us, they have not stood up for us or even told the elders that they were wrong. I know they are trapped, but it undermines us so.

I feel that the elders are smug,knowing they have our children.
    One elder even directed the boys to an article on how to shun family.

Today, I feel nauseous!

xxx SC.

• dawg
    dawg

"How awful this must be for those whose family have rejected them"

You ain't kidding here.

But I've decided to call all shunners out. I say out loud, these people are JWs and are shunning me because I disagree with their doctrines. That way they'll feel shame.

• lesterd
    lesterd

She has no intention of "becoming" a JW. She likes the attention and socialization she gets from "good" people, and the sisters can use the time in service visiting.

• shamus100
    shamus100

So,

When are you going back to the kingdumb hall. After all, this valuable lesson has no doubt turned you around to 'loving' Jehoblah again.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Hi SC

That was a brave, courageous and hard thing to do - I bet your heart was thumping at the time.

It's so sad but you never know when any of your old friends or indeed your boys will see the light, or rather the darkness that is masquerading as 'truth'.

Feeling for you right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit