Awake quotes Forrest Gump!!

by dinah 36 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

Just got a September '08 Awake in my paws.

The cover asks "Is there life beyond the grave"

They have a quote from Forrest Gump (of course he wasn't mentioned by name but I've seen the movie a million times). It says roughly: In a movie a young man is shown standing by his mother's grave. "Momma always said dyin' was a part of livin'" then he add "I sure wish it wasn't." Soooooo I wonder if the next article will follow up and tell us what happened to Jennnay?

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Will they have Lieutenant Dan in a photo and a caption that reads something like: The paradise will restore the disabled.

er

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I thought it was going to be: "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Much more appropriate

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I can't believe they would reference a PG-13 movie. They must really be corrupted through and through.

• dinah
    dinah

Or maybe write an article about how little boys won't need magic legs in the new order??

• james_woods
    james_woods

Special note to Forrest Gump:

If you see them coming at you with a Watchtower - Run, Forrest - Run!!!

OMG - the Awake always was fond of the absolute corniest stuff you could ever imagine (remember Watching the World?) - but this is another new low.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's also funny because there are so many better quotations about death which are way more powerful than what a fictional character says his mom once said, which isn't really all that profound in the first place.

• dinah
    dinah

Same issue talks about a brother from Benin who terminated his secular schooling to pioneer. He prayed to Jehovah about how he would survive financially.

Miraculously, a fellow dub handed this brother a timely Awake article entitled "Five Keys to Finding a Job". Praise Jehovah and pass the biscuits!! He ended up being offered a job teaching which required him to get a teaching certificate.

Did I also mention the brother had a stuttering problem? Well the test to obtain a teaching certificate required that he be able to read fluently. Guess what he had to read out loud at the examiner's office? You guessed it friends!! It was that same article "Five Keys to Finding a Job".

Oh Friends, you just cannot make this crap up.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Dinah: Wow. The irony glows in the dark.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Here is the quote they should have used:

life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit