Video, 1958 DC NYC, talk by NH Knorr. 5 seconds of pure video refreshment!

by Open mind 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Here's a YouTube video of the conclusion of Knorr's public talk at the 1958 Intl Convention combined Yankee Stadium & Polo Grounds. You know, the DC that good JWs are supposed to get all tingly about when you mention that 1/4 million of them were in the same place.

The whole thing is non-remarkable, standard, "ain't the New Order gonna be great" drivel.

Turn the sound down. Fast forward and view the video only from 3:22 to 3:27.

You will be greatly refreshed.

I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=vSReU42Vstc&rel=0&eurl=

om

p.s. Here's a hint.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yikes. That part at 3:22 is creepy, talking about how "unswerving devotion to God and his Kingdom will be rewarded...." , meaning obey the Wack-tower Society.

My parents were at this convention, about 2 years before I was born.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember we had several real-to-real tapes from the 1958 assembly. I listened to them many times. ugg.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Poor Gopher.

I was trying to save you the misery of actually listening to that drivel.

But when you mentioned being "rewarded" I did a quick re-listen. It's not quite perfect, but close.

Around 3:18 a very slow panning shot of the stadium starts up. At 3:22 a huge, centerfield-filling billboard comes into view. It's advertising Knickerbocker Beer!

By 3:28 it passes out of view and Knorr doesn't say "will be rewarded" until 3:30.

Darn! Just about 5 seconds too late for some thirst-quenching irony.

om

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was there...age 6.

Coffee

• Dagney
    Dagney

(Ugh, shiver, cold sweat. Love the music playing in background.)

Yeah, those were the days...they were. Too small to remember that.

Good times. Living the dream.

Actually I think those were good times then...a clear enemy, inside scoop of a fairytale life...a righteous mission.

But boy, seeing and hearing it now makes me lose my lunch.

• Open mind
    Open mind

So, any thoughts on the billboard itself?

This convention was before I was born, but I can't imagine any torture worse than having to listen to JW talks, in the heat and humidity of a New York summer,and all the while having to stare at a huge image of an ice-cold beer.

I'm surprised there weren't beer riots.

om

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I have a funny story about that convention. My grandfather was sitting way back, up under the eves. There were pidgeons... and he had a bald spot... One pidgeon got sick....and used my grandpa for target practice...It was such a mess he had to leave and go back to the hotel to clean up...

I remember the heat and the long lines 8 days long...and the sno cone vendors outside the stadium...that was my favorite

Coffee

• d
    d

I remeber conventions of the 90's and 2000's the last one being in 2008. These seem much worse 8 days we just had 3 days

• Gayle
    Gayle

I was 11 1/2 yrs old there (already baptized) and my 3 younger siblings. We grew up, pioneered and went to Bethel. By late 70s, we finally had enough and all of us left altogether, including our youngest sister. Listening to that now leaves my heart so, so heavy, as we were only kids having to listen that ****.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit