Ovation Guitar anyone?

by Simon 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I used to play the guitar quite a bit but haven't practiced seriously for quite a few years (and left my guitar in the UK when we moved over here).

Yesterday I decided I should get myself a guitar again so I popped into a music store and had a strum on a few.

The Ovation guitars seemed really nice and not too expensive. Does anyone have one or have any experience of them? I would love the electic one they do that can also sound acoustic but can't really justify spending so much so would probably get a regular wood / round-backed one.

Thanks
    - Simon

• knock knock
    knock knock

by the thread title I thought you might be selling one...cheap!

I don't play so much but the Ovations I've fiddled with were pretty nice and easy to play. So I'd say they should be high on your list.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Personally I find Ovations uncomfortable to play when you are just sitting - not standing using a shoulder strap (which is most of the time)

Soundwise it's a matter of taste and there are obviously some great ones out there.

I play a Takamine Natural EAN70C. It's awesome . . .

(Can't get link to work - you'll have to google it!)

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I second the Takamine, A little more that the cheaper Ovations but much better guitar.

Also check out the Alvarez Yari line.

I had an Ovation, I hated it. Don't have it any more.

Better yet, get a Telecaster and a little tube amp . .

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Simon. I have an Ovation. I've had it for about 10 years. I love it.

• joebin
    joebin

I agree with the Ovation being uncomfortable to play when sitting down with it's rounded back. It was always a turn off for me when ever I tried one. The Takamine always seemed a better deal. Right now what I play is a "Godin Acousticaster". It's a slim body electro acoustic, but when played unplugged gives you enough volume when you practice. Of course it sounds better plugged. What I like about it is the feel of playing an electric (since it uses electric guitar strings) but getting an acoustic sound. I always thought regular acoustics hard to play with the bronze heavy gaged strings and bends are difficult to achieve.

I would definitely stay away from a real cheap acoustic. Last I tried, there was a decently priced acoustic line made by the older "Norman" brand (out of Quebec), can't remember the name but I'm sure stores in Calgary carry them.

Do try an electro acoustic, you'll see what I mean. Buy a small amp with reverb to go with it.

What songs do you like to play?

• four candles
    four candles

Agree with Joebin...Ovations are ecxellent guitars but sooooooooooooo uncomfortable with the rounded back!! But do try a takemine,they really are good axes,and witha small 15/20 watt amp with some effects it can sound amazing.!!

• Simon
    Simon

Interesting comments - I found the rounded back was very comfortable.

I like acoustic guitar music to play - Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Don McLean, James Blunt type stuff.

Some of the electric guitars with flame effects etc... looked good but I just couldn't wear lycra and grow my hair long enough, LOL - I'll stick to 'Guitar Hero' for the rock stuff

• joebin
    joebin

I don't think it's the uncomfortable aspect of it as much as the fact that the rounded back makes it that the guitar is always sliding down when it's supported by the leg (sitting down) and you're always trying to pull it back up while playing. I've seen a few people glue a piece of material on the bottom part (back) to stop it from sliding. But if you're comfortable with it, it is a good sounding acoustic, and if I remember right the neck is not too wide, good if you have smaller hands.

I agree with the small amp with effects (at least a 10" speaker though), it's always nice to have reverb and chorus with an acoustic, gives it that extra dimension.

Good jammin'

edited to disable html to get paragraphs.

Hello Simon,

As some have mentioned the round back takes some getting used to, and the composite body has a different sound that a wood body. I don't care for them but that is just me I have some friends that swear by them. Ovation is a nice guitar but there are some others you may want to look at as well.

Depending on your budget Taylor is one of the best for sound, quality, and playability. but they will also set you back mega bucks. Takamine guitars are great, and play very nicely, as well as being quite affordable. Martins are nice sounding but to me they don't play as nicely as a Taylor and they too are pricey. Gibson Hummingbird is nice but again expencive. Alverez also makes some very nice yot affordable guitars.

Mainly it depends on two things your budget and what you feel comfortable playing.

My choices would be; Top of the line - Taylor, or Affordable - Takamine.

But if you like the Ovation then that is what you should get, as i said they do make a great guitar. As long as you play it does not mater what you play.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit